X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • will1066
    • Aug 2003

1098: summary of concerns/issues

Honestly, I haven't been keeping score on the 1098. What's the state of this model in terms of number of concerns, firmware revisions, and bugs and the percentage of them being rectified? Can someone sum them up? I am holding out for the company's next flagship (as a second-generation model, I'm hoping for improvements on things they learned from building this one), but I'm just curious, that's all. Thanks.
  • DrBoom
    • Dec 2003

It just happens I made a small list of pro's and con's about the 1098, in comparison to the more expensive Parasound C2.

I'll give you the gist of it:

1) The RSP1098 hisses too loud for my taste, on both analog and digital inputs.
    Except when you use the multichannel input, or you use a normal analog input AND put it in Bypass mode, then there's no hiss.
    So the hiss (in my opinion) comes from the A/D converters and the DSP.

2) Display bug where the volume level display gets mixed up with the mode display, this is purely cosmetic, nothing really serious.

3) I find that the bass from the subwoofer pre-out isn't as tight and controlled as it should be, and in my case the output level from the sub pre-out is about 10 dB off.

These are all the "problems" I can think of right now.
    Other that this it's a great machine, considering it's price.
    For music (depending on the genre) I actually prefer it over the C2 because it's more "lively" sounding.
    For movies, the C2 takes the cake by a long shot, much better integration and incredibly tight bass.
    Then again, it's €2000 more expensive. :roll:

Comment

• will1066
      • Aug 2003

Thanks, Boom. Surprised this has gotten so little response.

Comment

• DrBoom
        • Dec 2003

To be honest, I'm surprised too
        Well then I guess there aren't many real problems with the 1098, and most errors you read about on this forum are either user-induced, or factory faults.

Comment

• Wolfenstein 2k2
          • Jun 2004

I would like to add the following:

1.) Maybe Rotel could provide a better remote unit for the succeeding 1098 model as it is their top model. The current one is not bad, however I´ve seen better ones belonging to cheaper amps (with a touch screen, more intuitive handling, better surface feel etc.). Nevertheless, the current remote works fine - no problems.

2.) The TFT screen could be improved with regard to the poor display of black backgrounds (looks rather dark grey when it should be black). This is not really a concern for me as I do not use the TFT to watch movies but only for menu settings / DVD Audio menus etc.

3.) If the TFT remains the same for the successor of the 1098, then Rotel should at least integrate a function to permanently turn off the TFT when it is not needed - it still emits a lot of light if it is turned on and displays a black (blank) screen only.
          At the moment there is the possibility to turn the TFT off by pressing the MENU button for 3 sec. It turns on again whenever you press a button either on the 1098´s front or on the remote and turns off automatically after another time span of 3 secs.

4.) Concerning the hissing: I still have and want to do a one by one comparison between my Dec 2003 model and current ones under the same condition (same room, speakers, menu setup etc.). This is the only way to find out whether newer units hiss less than mine or not.

All in all I am very pleased with the 1098 - even the hissing is not a real problem as it occurs at very high sound levels only.

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Wolfenstein 2k2
            I would like to add the following:
            2.) The TFT screen could be improved with regard to the poor display of black backgrounds (looks rather dark grey when it should be black). This is not really a concern for me as I do not use the TFT to watch movies but only for menu settings / DVD Audio menus etc.
            That's more an issue with LCD screens across the board. The successor would probably come with a next generation display that might have better blacks, but untill then it would cost way too much to put a 'nice' small lcd in there..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Ossi
              • Jul 2003

Let me hit the brake guys. I do not hope that Rotel comes up with a replacement for the RSP 1098 any time soon, but would instead wish that Rotel provides an upgrade of the RSP 1098 instead. Like a new DSP board with room correction and i-link. No need for a new unit to achive this, a new board is all that is required.

Comment

• will1066
                • Aug 2003

Just my opinion, I don't like the two-knobs-and-a-screen look of the 1098. I hope they come out with a no-TFT flagship-performance model.

Comment

• DrBoom
                  • Dec 2003

What's not good about having only 2 knobs ?
                  Unless you're one of those button-fetishists that need to have 50+ buttons on the front panel
                  I like the current design a lot, since it's perfectly symmetrical.
                  Granted, the screen could've been a lot better both in quality and functionality, but it still beats single-line VFD displays for setup purposes.
                  But I feel they should've done more with that screen, they're hardly using it at all now.

Oh yes, and I too hope that we won't be seeing a replacement for the 1098 any time soon.
                  I'd think they'd want to keep their current chassis, and expand on that.
                  I don't know what the whole point of card-based modular design is otherwise.
                  The thing I'd like to see most is some sort of upgrade pack, to get it up to higher performance levels.
                  Better capacitors, better opamps all around, stuff like that.
                  I'm surprised that no company has come up with modifications for it yet.
                  There's a ton of space, and i think it's a good machine to start from, and there are a lot of improvements that can be made.

Comment

• Dmantis
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jun 2004

Yes,
                    with the computer design chassis,upgrading would we easy.

Dan

Comment

• Bing Fung
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Aug 2000

I love the look of the 1098. It has such a clean elegance. :T The 1068 is a hansome unit as well in the traditional sense.

I can't say I have any serious problems with my 1098 at this point.
                      Bing

Comment

• Wolfenstein 2k2
                        • Jun 2004

@ DrBoom

Yes, you´re absolutely right. The 1098´s general design is virtually predestinated for future upgrades. In the end, this was one of the main reasons why I bought the 1098 and did not prefer the 1066/1068. I strongly assume that there will be upgrades especially concerning the DSP board in the next couple of months / years - no, there have to be upgrades! Otherwise I would be very angry with Rotel

Additionally, maybe all "problems" concerning the hiss will be gone in case there will be an upgrade of the DSP Board - so, no need at all to buy a completely new unit to get rid of that. All in all, I´am really looking forward to what we can still expect to even improve our 1098´s performance!

@ Bing

Has there ever been a longer thread in this forum than yours (six pages)?

Comment

• Azeke
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2003

I also enjoy the symetrical look of the 1098. I actually use the TFT screen because I have a projector, and therefore do not need/want to have the menu on the main screen, allowing me to tweak while others are watching the main event with minimal impact. I consider the 1098 a worthwhile investment and a beautiful piece of machinery, of course your mileage may vary.

I am also looking forward to the DSP board upgrades for the 1098, which I hope Rotel maintains, to keep the 1098 technologically scalable. I really don't want to buy another pre-pro in another 2-3 years if all I have to do is upgrade the board(s).

Your call Rotel,

Azeke

Comment

• will1066
                            • Aug 2003

What's not good about having only 2 knobs? Unless you're one of those button-fetishists that need to have 50+ buttons on the front panel
                            I like the current design a lot, since it's perfectly symmetrical.
                            I don't like a trillion buttons either, like Anthem. And their new Statement D1 clearly ripped off Rotel's "handles" look. I agree the 1098 looks simplistic, but the esthetic just doesn't appeal to me. Maybe I'd have a different opinion if the knobs were smaller. I do like *some* buttons. Actually, I really like the look of the 1066/68, with the two rows of small but tactile buttons.

While I'm on this rant, I don't like Meridian's alarm-clock look either (disregarding the new G series). Lexicon has a nice look, but the display's too small. Arcam's AV8 has a very elegant look.

Comment

• Azeke
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2003

It seems that Will is very particular about his aesthetics , but as they say beauty is in the eyes of the beholder 8) .

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• kneptune
                                • Jan 2004

I, too, hope that Rotel stays with the current 1098 chassis/model and instead offers hardware upgrades rather than a full-blown replacement.

Some speaker manufacturers offer "hot-rod" upgrades and allow customers to upgrade their speakers after their initial purchase. Perhaps the same approach here...

I think that Rotel will be making a considerable mistake by not offering the ability to hardware upgrade. This would keep their R&D cost down by offerring a V2 model simply by modifying the I/O boards rather than design another 2nd generation model. Plus, it allows their customer base to follow and not enter obsolesence.

That's my 2 cents.

Kevin

Comment

• Wolfenstein 2k2
                                  • Jun 2004

I do not only hope that there will be upgrades in the future, I expect Rotel to provide us with upgrades! Why else did they choose this modular design and advertise upgradability in their brochures? Furthermore, I also agree that Rotel should stick to the current 1098´s design and change the relevant parts on the numerous boards only. Maybe will we see soon a "1098 MkII" rather than a "1099"... so long ...

Comment

• GosonFletchy
                                    • May 2004

I too would like to see modular upgrades available for the 1098 in the future. Although I do not think that the comment of upgradeability was meant to be for the boards. Rotel offers software upgrades and advertises their equipment as being upgradeable because of this. (Free upgrades at that, which is a great plus in my book). It could be that they designed the unit this way for hope of future modular upgrades. It could also be that they designed it this way to make things easier from a service point of view. Think about it, you have a problem and call your dealer, he comes out with a couple new boards, replaces some until your unit is up and running again and you never had to be without it. I like the sounds of that. I would not be terribly disappointed if Rotel decides not to provide modular upgrades for the unit, but I sure hope that they do.

G.

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Apr 2003

There will be upgraded boards in the future, but In don't suspect that they will be retrofitted to existing 1098s. I suspect that Rotel chose a modular approach for simplicity of future upgrades for themselves. Just think, a new processor arrives and all they need to rework is the processor board, do a dance with some sofware and wa-la...we have the "new" 1099 or 2098, whatever the model designation becomes.
                                      Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Azeke
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2003

On contraire Jerry, why not experiment with the 1098 initially and the DSP module board upgrades. This will provide future testing for other Rotel pre-pros further down the line. Perhaps this is just my modular pipe dream.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Apr 2003

Azeke

But that's not Rotel's style. They would prefer to sell you a new model than an upgrade board!
                                          Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Azeke
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Mar 2003

Jerry,

Perhaps, the RSP-1098 and Club Rotel can establish a new precedent. If customers know that the RSP-1098 has module upgrades, perhaps this will provide a business case, and others will purchase the 1098 for this scalable option.

Just my quick thoughts, any other thoughts/comments are welcome.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Wolfenstein 2k2
                                              • Jun 2004

In case there won´t be any hardware upgrades, the 1098 was definitely my last Rotel pre/pro. I did not pay 3500 Euros in order to have to buy a completely new unit to get the latest DSP´s, room correction, i-link etc. And I did not pay 3500€ to have later on the same "problems" concerning hardware upgradeability like non-modular units have. If I had not wanted hardware upgradeability, the 1066 or 1068 would have been sufficient, too. OK, the modular design makes things easier from a service point of view and Rotel has never assured to provide hardware upgrades. But I do not believe that easier service or a better isolation of all analog and digital sections were the only reasons for Rotel to stick to the modular design. IMHO the 1098´s design is virtually predestinated to upgrade certain components and I hope that Rotel bears this in mind...but I don´t want to meet the trouble halfway as the 1098 is an excellent unit I am more than pleased with - nevertheless I would be very disappointed if no upgrades are "scheduled".

Comment

• Azeke
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Mar 2003

In case there won´t be any hardware upgrades, the 1098 was definitely my last Rotel pre/pro".
                                                You say that now ,

Azeke

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Aug 2000

@ Bing

Has there ever been a longer thread in this forum than yours (six pages)?
                                                  Wolf, yeah, TTP :wink:

I'm with you, I certainly hope the 1098 is somewhat upgradable... At least to match the longevity of other main units.

I like the idea of super tweaked boards for the 1098, however I doubt Rotel would develop those, so it would be up to an after market design house. There probably isn't a lot of these small design houses that would have the resources or expertise to get a super board to market during the expected life span of the 1098 as these things take a lot of R&D resources... Although I could be totally wrong.

Personally I think the 2 knobs on the 1098 are proportioned correctly. They are a nice beefy size to operate. Any smaller and they would look too wimpy on such a massive chassis as the 1098, almost like how a stereo with the knobs missing or removed looks with just the skinny shafts :
                                                  Bing

Comment

• Wolfenstein 2k2
                                                    • Jun 2004

Wolf, yeah, TTP :wink:
                                                    Well, that thread is indeed a little bit longer, but just a little bit. :wink: Actually, I meant a longer thread in the Club Rotel forum. :W

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Aug 2000

Heh, heh I knew that Wolf, I was just having a bit of fun... I agree, the Rotel Picture thread has received more response than I would have imagined. It's nice to see everyone's Rotels :T

Still loving my 1098 :yesnod:
                                                      Bing

Comment

• will1066
                                                        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Azeke
                                                        It seems that Will is very particular about his aesthetics , but as they say beauty is in the eyes of the beholder 8) .

Regards,

Azeke

Don't you be talkin' about me and Ana L. that way.

Comment

• Azeke
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by will1066
                                                          Don't you be talkin' about me and Ana L. that way.
                                                          I would never purposely insult you Will or Ana L, afterall we are 2 channel amp friends :T

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• will1066
                                                            • Aug 2003

LOL, Azeke. Stereo buds. We need to convince everyone to have a 1080 in their systems.

Kal Rubinson of Stereophile says there is no other amp under $2k that he prefers. :T

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Oct 2003

Hi,

I'm in the RB-1080 camp as well...

And (if you need / want the power) the RB-1090 is also pretty special for the price...

Geoff

Comment

• Azeke
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Mar 2003

Oh No Geoff, not another upgrade possibility :lol: .

Should we upgrade Will :roll: ?

I don't think so, remaining 8) ,

Azeke

Comment

• aud19
                                                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Aug 2003

I'll be right there with you guys if and when I have some spare $$ again ...and if the boss lets me ops:

Jason
                                                                  Jason

Comment

• will1066
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Aug 2003

Zeke, I don't have room for that beast 1090. :roll: But man, the 1080 is a great "little" amp.

But I got the bug bad right now. Thinking of new front speakers (maybe away from B&W) but that really means new center and possibly rears too. Too costly and a big hassle. (I like to do things in one fell swoop rather than slowly, hehe.) Floorstanders or monitor? Too many factors make my head hurt. I don't know....

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Oct 2003

Hi,

I'm with you guy's... I'm torn by the same upgrade dilemma’s

This is a disease....

But it's fun...

PS - Unless your speakers are current hungry (like B&W Nautilus) I found the RB-1080 and RB-1090 to sound "near as damit" identical... (See I listened even though the RB-1090 doesn’t fit in my rack...)

Geoff

Comment

Working...
                                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                      Search Result for "|||"