X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DennisR
    • Jul 2004

Thank you ROTEL!

For nearly three years I have questioned my decision to purchase Klipsch Reference (RF3, RC3, RS3) speakers. Coupled with my Onkyo 787 (the weak point in my system) the speakers were bright with movies and almost harsh with music. I so disliked music on the system that my once steady diet of several hours of music a week had been reduced to 30 minutes a month at best. I knew the Onkyo and/or Klipsch had to go, but the last three years have included a new home and two children. Needless to say the HT/music setup became a lower priority.

On Thursday I decided to take the plunge. My wife has been encouraging me to make some upgrades, but I wasn't sold on which to replace first, the Onkyo or the Klipsch. I went back to the shop where I purchased the Klipsch and began asking questions and listening to different systems. I ended up taking home the 1068 and 1075, but not before asking detailed questions regarding the return/exchange policy of the store.

After setting everything up I could not decided whether to test music or HT first. I settled on some 2 channel music. I selected a favorite of mine, The Joshua Tree (U2) and sat down in my leather recliner. Three songs later I was stunned. I changed discs, selecting a classical CD. I couldn't believe my ears, no harshness, nothing shrill. The music was powerful, full of detail. Previously I would begin to get a headache after about 30 minutes of listening to music at more than moderate levels with the Onkyo/Klipsch setup. Several hours later and I was going strong! The stack of discs grew as I listened to old favorites. It was like hearing some of them for the first time!

I did not get much of a chance to test the HT side of the 1068 yet, but I expect to do so tonight. I still have to get out the SPL meter and do some tweaking, but if my experience is even half as good as the 2 channel music experience, I know I will be thrilled!
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Congratulations DennisR and welcome to Club Rotel.

Just wait until you watch a movie that's when the components will show off.

Later down the road you may wish to consider a 2 channel amp for your stereo listening pleasure.

Just sit back and enjoy you new toys, with your wife, (if she can withstand the high decible level ).

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• will1066
      • Aug 2003

Holy snikes, your wife actually encouraged you to upgrade?

Congrats. Joshua Tree is one of my all-time faves.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I selected a favorite of mine, The Joshua Tree (U2)
        You'll likely find yourself amoung many friends with that comment...myself incl. :yesnod:

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Yup great album :T Congrats on the gear too!

Happy listening :B

Jason
          Jason

Comment

• Bing Fung
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2000

I like U2 as well, but I don't own the Joshua tree, I do own the greatest Hits, but it doesn't sound too well sonically on my system, it's very tinney and lacks dynamic range :x

Anyway, Yes Thank You Rotel (America) :amen:
            Bing

Comment

• will1066
              • Aug 2003

Since we're on the off-topic of U2, I'm very lucky to have the Mobile Fidelity remasters of War, Unforgettable Fire, and Joshua Tree.

Comment

• soundhound
                • Mar 2004

Congrats Dennis R. I have been blowing the Klipsch (reference)-Rotel horn for a while now and after buying new audio or video source discs these things still never seize to amaze me. If you like the audio wait until you fire up a dvd after calibration. I am still gratefull to the gentleman that turned me on to this site, wet my appetite for Rotel gear, and helped fuel the addiction. Anywhoo, agian congrats, and enjoy. :T

Comment

• DennisR
                  • Jul 2004

Still no movies, but I was able to calibrate the system last night before finally succumbing to the need for sleep. Stupid summer cold :evil:

My wife and I are planning to enlist her parents to watch both children next weekend. That way we can really test the system and not have to worry about backing the subs down to keep from waking them up.

I was really looking forward to listening to music in the Dolby ProLogic II setting, but I haven't been overly impressed yet. I prefer the plain-vanilla 2 channel setting over the DPLII settings with everything I have tested so far. Is there a certain type of music that sounds better than others for 2 channel stereo to DPLII?

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

You do have to play with the music and cinema modes and the additional settings in the music mode to get the most out of it. Having said that I tend to use it more for non-critical listening ie: background music.

Jason
                    Jason

Comment

• Darren M
                      • Apr 2004

One thing about Klipsch speakers (I have the Ref 7 series): they are very revealing. As you found, a poor amp will sound bad, but good components are rewarded with great sound. I upgraded from a Yamaha DSP A-1 to Rotel and have been amazed at the results. Klipsch are very good speakers, but you can't get away with poor components. Klipsch / Rotel is a GREAT match.

Congrats!

Comment

• DennisR
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Darren M
                        Klipsch / Rotel is a GREAT match.
                        Couldn't agree with you more Darren! I've listened to more music this week than in the last year. Barber's "Adagio for Strings" blew me away last night... I listened to it several times :T

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"