X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ludwig Van Beethoven
    • Oct 2003

Which reciever for classical music??

Hi Guys,

I am new to the HT reciever world and would like your guys opinions on which reciever will give me the best 2 channel sound for classical music. I currently have Klipsch RF-3 II speakers for the left and right channel, Onkyo TX-DS575X Reciever for the sound processing with Monster Z2 Biwire with banana plugs for the reciever and speakers. I have been reading on these reciever models below and cant decide on which one, please keep in mind that i am not into surround sound and DTS and PL II and the sorts, I want clean, warm and full 2 channel stereo for classical music mainly, I listen to music 90% and movies 10%. Please give me a great recommendation on which one will suit my needs and be an upgrade over my Onkyo.

Here are my choices below: Please feel free to recommend others that i havent listed in thier price range. I am looking from $700-$1000 for the reciever.

Denon AVR-3803
    Rotel RSX-1055
    Rotel RSX-1065
    Marantz SR-7300

Thank You so much!!!!

Erfan
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Onkyos don't work best with Klipsch. I've owned Onkyo and Klipsch and the Onkyos are simply too bright. Rotel, Harman Kardon, and Denon all work well with Klipsch, as might the Sherwood Newcastles. I'll find out Friday when the used Sherwood Newcastle receiver I bought for my "kids" theater arrives. A lot of people prefer tubes with Klipsch. I will say that I have this one device, an ADE-24, which really worked wonders in smoothing out my Klipsch speakers, but that might have been me in my listening environment with my listening tastes.

By the way, you might want to post this in the audio section of HTGuide as there would be more responses there, imo.

Assuming your Onkyo has preouts for a power amp, you might also with to think about a warm sounding power amp. You might, again if the Onkyo permits, consider adding an outboard two channel integrated amp for that particular application.

Finally, for two channel, I've yet to find a receiver which bests the Rotel. They're excellent in this regard.

Keith
    Keith

Comment

• hal
      • Jul 2003

I'm listening 85% classical, 10% other & 5% movies and can tell you that the Rotel RSX1055 is stupendous for well-recorded classical in 2 channel or multichannel (and the tuner is not bad either). It's a very easy choice. P.S. Your speakers are so efficient that you'll have no trouble with the RSX1055.

Comment

• hal
        • Jul 2003

I'm listening 85% classical, 10% other & 5% movies and can tell you that the Rotel RSX1055 is stupendous for well-recorded classical in 2 channel or multichannel (and the tuner is not bad either). It's a very easy choice. P.S. Your speakers are so efficient that you'll have no trouble with the RSX1055.

Comment

• hal
          • Jul 2003

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I agree the Rotel will definalty be warmer sounding then the Onyko but to be honest if you're looking for that nice warm sound I'd start with your speakers as I've never heard anyone call Klipshe warm..if anything they're on the bright side.

Comment

• Ludwig Van Beethoven
              • Oct 2003

Thank you gentlemen,

My Onkyo unfortunately does not have preouts for an external amp Seems like the Rotel RSX-1055 is the way to go for 2 channel stereo. Also, how would this Rotel compare soundwise to my Onkyo TX-DS575X? Will it be that much noticeably clearer? And lastly, are the Klipsch Reference series a great speaker?

Thank you for your help

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Also, how would this Rotel compare soundwise to my Onkyo TX-DS575X? Will it be that much noticeably clearer?
                The Rotel will likely have a slightly warmer sound then the onyko which you'll notice on the high freq's being a little smoother sounding.

And lastly, are the Klipsch Reference series a great speaker?
                Yes they're nice speakers IF you like their sound. Being horn speakers they'll play loud with very low input power but their sound isn't for everyone given their tendacy to be a little bright. Personally I perfer a more british/canadain sound but speakers are likely the most subjective aspect of our hobby so to each their own.

Comment

• will1066
                  • Aug 2003

Ludwig Van Beethoven, what a great name! How'd you come up with that? :LOL:

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

I've got to agree with Andrew. The klipsh speakers are a very good quality speaker IF you like there sound. However to my ears they do tend to the bright and harsh side and you stated you were looking for a "warm" sound... As such I'd go with Andrews first suggestion and change speakers first if possible. B&W's, Energy's, Paradigm's, PSB's, Kef's, Polk's etc would probably be a good place to start. As for your receiver choices, of the "mainstream" brands, I'd stick with Denon. For smaller high end companies I'd look at Rotel or Nad. My personal preference would be Rotel but what do you want? You're on Club Rotel...lol :P The 1065 looks to be out of your budget, besides, at that point you can almost get the 1055 and the 1075 amp or the 1066 and 1075 amp. (Which I would recommend if you have the funds to do so.)

J.R.

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                    Jason

Comment

• Danbry39
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Sep 2002

I think Klipsch reference speakers are great, but they are extremely finicky to the electronics they're mated with. Because they're among the most revealing speakers, they are very sensitive even to the cables they're matched up with. You HAVE to do an audition, but I personally couldn't stand my Klipsch with my old Onkyo 696. I probably listened to music only 5 percent of the time back then. When I moved over to the Rotel 1066 and Parasound 1205A amp, it all changed drasticallyfrom listening to hardly any music to spending my days almost solely listening to music. I will say that I probably listened to 12 hours of classical this last weekend and another 6 hours of jazz. Audition for yourself, but the sound will most likely be far less strident and much more smooth. Listen to things like a soprano or a violin and it should be very noticable. Again, for two channel listening, I haven't found a receiver which matches the Rotel, especially in its price range.

Keith
                      Keith

Comment

• Danbry39
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Sep 2002

Oh, again with regard to Klipsch's revealing nature, they say junk in and junk out. Don't always blame the equipment if something sounds bad. Source materials can be rotten. Find a nice reference recording to truly test out your Klipsch.

Keith
                        Keith

Comment

• Ludwig Van Beethoven
                          • Oct 2003

Wow, What a wealth of information and expertise Thanks alot for everyones input into the matter and it is very well appreciated I assure you. I have taken everyones advice and especially Danbry39 for his actual real life experience in owning the Klipsch, I have decided to get the Rotel 1055 and a Rotel 1075 amp. Now, what cabling will i need to go from the Rotel 1055 to the amp? How does it hook up?

Thanks!!!!

Comment

• Ludwig Van Beethoven
                            • Oct 2003

What do you guys think of an Rotel RSP 1066 and Rotel RMB 1075 Silver? Would i need a reciever for this setup? Will i just run my Klipsch into the 1066 and then run the 1066 into the 1075 for amp?

Comment

• Danbry39
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Sep 2002

You'll need five audio cables, one for each channel going from the preouts on the Rotel receiver to the amp's inputs. Stay away from silver as silver tends not to work as well with Klipsch. Go for copper. If you scroll to the top of the page, you'll find Lex's stickie on Cat and Quantum cables. Even if you go for, let's say, Rhino or Blue Jeans cables on three, I'd consider at least getting some of Doug's cables for the front left/right speakers as you intend to do a lot of listening to two channel.

The 1066 offers a tad more refinement (some don't even notice it), costs more, doesn't include the power amp section or tuner. I chose the 1066 for just that little bit of sonic improvement and the fact that I don't use the tuner or need the additional power amp.

By the way, I really think you're making a good decision. I bought some new speakers for my main listening and moved my Klipsch reference to a secondary home theater where they were matched up with an old Sony. That room has more hard surfaces to begin with and the Sony really hurt the sound. That's why my daughters are getting the used Sherwood Newcastle this Friday. Might also have to use some heavy curtains to tame the room some. But, in the end, Klipsch speakers really appreciate good soul mates in the components used with them. Just in case, make sure there's a return period and give the equipment a bit of time to break in.

Keith
                              Keith

Comment

• Ludwig Van Beethoven
                                • Oct 2003

So all I would need is the 1066 and the 1075 correct?

Comment

• Danbry39
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Sep 2002

For 5 channels, yep, that and the interconnects and you're set to go.

Keith
                                  Keith

Comment

• Ludwig Van Beethoven
                                    • Oct 2003

Thanks Danbry

Now if you were to pick a reciever based on my needs, which one of these would you go for?

Marantz SR-8200 = $949 + $50 shipping
                                    Rotel RSX-1055 = $1299 + 8.25% local tax

Thanks

Comment

• cadman
                                      • Sep 2003

is the rotel THX like the Marantz

Comment

• cadman
                                        • Sep 2003

double post

Comment

• Aeromos
                                          • Jun 2003

I would personally get the Rotel. I haven't heard the Marantz but there's just too many knowledgeable people here that are ecstatic about their performance for you to go wrong with Rotel. I've heard the RSX-1055 and it gives out clean detailed sound. But again, it will all come down to your own ears and what sounds best to you. Keep in mind of course that you should spend a little more time trying them out to get your ears accustomed to the sound as they'll probably sound different from your current set up.

Seeing as Ludwig is more concerned with 2 channel, it doesn't matter that Rotel doesn't have THX. Besides I think most people here would agree that most of THX these days are just a marketing ploy. I've heard none THX brands sound better.

Aeromos
                                          Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
                                          My Collection
                                          Aeromos
                                          Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
                                          My Collection

Comment

• aud19
                                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2003

Absolutely! THX, although useful for keeping complete crap out of the industry, doesn't do much else but act as a marketing tool. Besides the market doesn't allow for much crap in the industry anyway. People amazingly don't like to buy much crap (when it comes to A/V anyway). Also as Aeromos stated for two channel it's not even remotely relavent. I've owned a non-THX'd Yamaha RX-V1 and soon non-THX'd Rotel gear. Neither is deffiecient in their quality or sound, though of course the Rotel has the edge over the Yamaha

Danbry...defending those Klipsh speakers again...lol. Just kidding In all seriousness though, this is why there are so many different , good quality, speaker manufacturers. My bright and harsh is yours and Danbry's detailed and revealing. Everyone's ears are different, exactly why you need to hear equipment for yourself and let YOUR ears decide. Now in my own opinion I'd say Klipsh makes speakers more suited for movie reproduction rather than music and as Danbry stated you have to very dilligent to match them with the right equipment and even the right room. I'd say you're at least on the right track with the equipment and Rotel

J.R.

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                                            Jason

Comment

• Danbry39
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Sep 2002

Exactly Aud.

Beethovan, personally, I would get the Rotel. I've owned Marantz in the past and it was very nice equipment, but some concerns over the power supply of the current Marantz would leave me hesitant.

Read this link to see how the 7200 tested for all five channels being driven simultaneously.

Keith
                                              Keith

Comment

• Ludwig Van Beethoven
                                                • Oct 2003

Alrighty then, it seems like the Rotel is 100% the way to go Thanks for everyones assistance in this matter, it is greatly appreciated I assure you. Now, onto finding a Rotel 1055 for a great deal They are far and few between. If you guys run into any leads for any for sale please let me know.

Comment

• spiffnme
                                                  • Apr 2003

Check Ebay and audiogon.com for great deals on used Rotel gear. I see 1055's quite often.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net
                                                  All Daredevil, All the Time!

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                                                    • Oct 2002

Ludwig Van Beethoven.

Why do you need a receiver, I taught you were deaf, and couldn't hear a bloody thing?

Couldn't resist that one :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
                                                    To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• Azeke
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Mar 2003

Welcome to the club Mr. B$.

I believe you have made a wise choice.

FYI, I just recently read disclaimers that some major manufacturers will not honor warranties for items purchased from non-authorized dealers (I am not aware of Rotel's policy).

IMHO I would stick with the authorized rotel dealers (if they're cordial to you), this ensures that you are receiving equipment with the latest series and upgrades.

Just my thoughts,

Azeke

P.S. That was very clever Levesque 8) .

Comment

• Ludwig Van Beethoven
                                                        • Oct 2003

Originally posted by levesque
                                                        Ludwig Van Beethoven.

Why do you need a receiver, I taught you were deaf, and couldn't hear a bloody thing?

Couldn't resist that one :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
                                                        :P Well, i am not deaf yet but with this new Rotel there will spew forth glorious and sublime music!!

Comment

• Ludwig Van Beethoven
                                                          • Oct 2003

Im listening to Handel's Ariodante and it is sublime, the Klipsch really brings out the voices incredibly and detailed!

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Sep 2002

While we've got you here, Ludwig, which do you prefer, your symphony No. 9 or 5? I personally like the 9th better, but have not found the great recording yet (despite owning 4 versions), whereas I have found a great 5th. Do you have a version of the 9th you find above all others?

Keith
                                                            Keith

Comment

• Ludwig Van Beethoven
                                                              • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Danbry39
                                                              While we've got you here, Ludwig, which do you prefer, your symphony No. 9 or 5? I personally like the 9th better, but have not found the great recording yet (despite owning 4 versions), whereas I have found a great 5th. Do you have a version of the 9th you find above all others?
                                                              Great question, I really prefer the Herbert Von Karajan 1963 Deutsche Grammophon recording of the 5th and the 9th, it is a very warm and great sounding recording and it is quite possibly the best recording of the 9th, Also get George Solti's 1977 version of the 9th which is very good as well but not quite as powerful and it is slower paced but also a very powerful and rich recording

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Sep 2002

Thanks Ludwig,

Went over to Amazon to find one of the two, but couldn't find either. Haven't looked at other places yet. A lot of people seemed to prefer Solti's 1972 version. Have you heard that one?

By the way, you're just the kind of guy I'd like to see posting in the "In Tune" section of HTGuide. There's a thread there for "under the radar recordings". I'd really love it if you added a couple of your favorite classical discs to the mix. Even though the main tenor of the thread was to bring to the attention of others recordings that are great but might have slipped under the radar, it would be nice if you just posted some of your favorite classical recordings period. A lot wanting to start a collection feel intimidated by the selection available and don't know where to start.

Keith
                                                                Keith

Comment

• Ludwig Van Beethoven
                                                                  • Oct 2003

Thanks for the tip, I will sure do so and help out my fellow classical music fans.

Here is the links to both the recordings on Ebay right now for $25.00!!! That is dirt cheap for the 5 disc set and they are an awesome, warm rich recording. It is my favorite!! All the symphonies 1-9.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000001GBQ/qid=1065668719/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/104-9148516-6740748

Here is Georg Solti's recording.
                                                                  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000041Y0/qid=1065668672/sr=1-12/ref=sr_1_12/104-9148516-6740748?v=glance&s=classical

Comment

• Danbry39
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Sep 2002

Hey, thanks Ludwig,

I put them both on my wish list there.

Also, glad you're going to be posting some classical stuff on the thread. In your honor, then, I will post my first three classical recommendations: one a well known work; one pretty obscure; and one pretty much totally unknown. Not sure if they're to your taste, but I dearly love all three.

Keith
                                                                    Keith

Comment

• Ludwig Van Beethoven
                                                                      • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Danbry39
                                                                      Hey, thanks Ludwig,

I put them both on my wish list there.

Also, glad you're going to be posting some classical stuff on the thread. In your honor, then, I will post my first three classical recommendations: one a well known work; one pretty obscure; and one pretty much totally unknown. Not sure if they're to your taste, but I dearly love all three.
                                                                      Im checking it out now

Comment

Working...
                                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                      Search Result for "|||"