X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trackbird
    • Jan 2006

Info and input on the Klipsch RSW-12 sub

I've been lurking around here for a little while and I only turned up one thread in my search that was related to the Klipsch RSW-12. In that thread Dr. Rapp said it wasn't one of Klipsch's best (which is good info, but I'd like to get some clarification).

My question is this:

If you found a good deal on an open box special ($998 US), would you buy it? By "not one of Klipsch's best", do we mean that it's bad, or that it could be better (or, it could be better if I spent more money)? I'm aware that more money will typically buy "the next step", but can I be happy with the RSW-12 for movies and some music? Is there a better choice for around $1,000?

A bit of background may help. I'm running 4 Paradigm Monitor 7's (V.4), in 5.1 for now, and a Paradigm Studio CC (V.2). I'm in "mid upgrade" and have currently connected these to my Onkyo TX-SR600 (85x6) receiver. I sold my old sub recently and will be upgrading that next. I've also been considering the Paradigm PW-2100 and PW-2200, the Seismic 10, the Definitive Technology Supercube 1 and I have given some thought to the Velodyne DLS-5000R. I'd love a Servo 15, but it's not really in the budget at this time.

Shortly after the sub, I will be adding a Rotel RSP-1068 processor and power will come from a Rotel RMB-1075. I'm considering the addition of a pair of Monitor 3's and a RB-1050 for the 7.1 channels at a later time, assuming I can properly use the rear channels in my room.

The room is roughly 16x16, has 8 ft ceilings, and is connected to the kitchen by a walk-through area and is also attached to part of my entry way. It's located on the first floor of a house on a concrete slab.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I wanted to give as much information as possible/useful.

Thanks,

Kevin
    Kevin
  • Shane Martin
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2001

Kevin,
    IMHO you are better of spending the $1k on an internet based subwoofer. Those would be Rocket, SVS, HSU, or Axiom. They will give you more bang for your buck and deeper bass than the Klipsch will provide. Klipsch and the the like have a dealer network to pay and compensate for.

FWIW, Dr Rapp has an SVS IIRC.

Comment

• trackbird
      • Jan 2006

Thanks for the suggestions Shane, I appreciate the assistance. I agree about paying a dealer network, I was looking at the Klipsch since it was a demo and I could get it for $998 (instead of my dealers usual price of $1400).

It looks like I have more research to do.
      Kevin

Comment

• gd
        • Jan 2003

$998 will buy you considerably more and better bass at SVS or Hsu.

And you may not need to spend even that much.

Klipsch aren't known for their subs.

Go to the online guys... better product, better service... I own an SVS myself, and I can speak for their helpfulness when it comes to choosing a sub for a specific space.
        greg (gd to you)
        Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
        production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Shane Martin
          Super Senior Member
          • Apr 2001

Trackbird,
          Email the respective companies and they will suggest which sub you should get. I know SVS won't oversell you and would assume that the others won't either.

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

What they said :yesnod:
            Jason

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"