X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Koninghein
    • Jun 2004

2nd Hand Rotel RA 970BX: hot or not?

Hi guys,

Looking for an upgrade in stereo for my Onkyo tx-sr500E A/V receiver, I came across an ad for the Rotel RA 970BX (seller is first owner) for about $ 140.

Though I am new to Rotel in general, I am also not familiar with the pitfalls I may encounter with a 8-10 year old integrated amplifier. I do realise that for stereo performance, I 'd win a great deal over the Onkyo, but will the "investement" (I am a broke student ) last some years from now?

So I am actually quitte curious as to what you experts have to say about such an offer, is it a bargain or not?
  • eelco74
    • Dec 2002

The 970 is a very fine sounding amp, that will sound better then any current midrange receiver, also your Onkyo.

I has been a test winner. I have got some english reviews of the 971 (updated 970) for you if you wish.

For 150$ you might be surprised how nice this amp sounds. Combine it with some fine speakers.
    Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
    Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
    Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• Koninghein
      • Jun 2004

Well, that is an encouraging reply. Fine speakers you say, I got to admit I own a pair of Magnat Vector 55's, not quitte in that league... :roll:

Will I notice an improvement in sound quality AND quantity (gotta play LOUD once in a while ) with these speakers and a Harman Kardon DVD5 dvd player as the source? I noticed the Onkyo is sounding a little constrained and harsh when pushed relatively loud, but should I rather stay with the Onkyo considering the speakers and input source as the restraining factors?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts I hope to hear about the 'age factor' for such an amp.

@Eelco74: I'd love to receive those reviews, would be superb if you could mail them to me: ha dot druncks @ student dot unimaas dot nl

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"