RSX-1055 amp improvement over previous generations?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lifeinabox
    • Jun 2004

RSX-1055 amp improvement over previous generations?

I recently purchased an RSX-1055. It was a bit of a rash purchase and I've yet to set it up. I am upgrading from an RSX-965. Power ratings are the same for both receivers - 75W per channel. I'm wondering how much, if any, improvement I will hear in the amp section of the new receiver?

My main concern is with 2-channel music. I don't have a problem, per se, with the 965's power output, but I've heard my mains powered by a Bryston 4B and know how a beefier amp can enhance their sound. If the 1055's amp section is not considered an upgrade, then perhaps I'm better off selling it and going further up the Rotel ladder. Thanks for your help.
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Lifeinabox,

It's a pity you didn't buy the latest RSX-1056 - in which case I could be telling you about the improved processing and D/A chips, Dolby ProLogic IIx etc. I would also be recommending you consider separate amps (e.g. the RB-1080) for your front channels to further improve the stereo listening.... I presume you got a great discount in the RSX-1055...

However in terms of HT processing capability the RSX-1055 is the RSP-1066 equivalent - still very good - but a generation behind current and not the real step up that the RSX-1056 would have been.... That aside - you should notice the difference and again seriously consider some separate amps such as the RB-1080 for stereo or the RB993 (second hand 3 channel) for a further step up in speaker control and clarity in 3 channel mode.

All that aside - the amp section of the RSX-1055 and RSX-1056 are very close (indeed they are also very close to the RSX-965 you had before) - so if you wanted better amps - get them and put them on the pre-outs of your receiver. We have lots of Club Rotel members with RSX-1055 who have done that and loved it...

Geoff

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

I concur with Geoff. If 2 channel is your major concern then you will need a 2 channel amp to power the fronts (Rotel RB-1080, Bryston, etc.). It will provide sonic enhancement for your 2 channel listening pleasure :T .

I would for my money go up the Rotel ladder and at least purchase the 1056, I would even consider the 1068 if you wish to go the separates route.

Good Luck,

Azeke

Comment

• soundhound
        • Mar 2004

I just recently did a head to head with the RSX-1055 thru my Klipsch RF-3's in 2 channel, then pre-out into my RMB-1075, and in my enviroment found a huge difference in the soundstage. I came up from an RSP-980 with seperate processors, and find the 1055 processing much better in the 1055. I was dissapointed in the 1055's capability to perform with 2 channel and found an external amp to be a must. Now thru the 1075 all is well, sweet infact....

Comment

• lifeinabox
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
          Lifeinabox,
          All that aside - the amp section of the RSX-1055 and RSX-1056 are very close (indeed they are also very close to the RSX-965 you had before) - so if you wanted better amps - get them and put them on the pre-outs of your receiver. We have lots of Club Rotel members with RSX-1055 who have done that and loved it...

Geoff
          Thanks for the responses. 2-channel amplification is my sole concern with the 1055. I purposely left out any mention of the processors as I'm fully aware of the improvements made over the 956. I don't have or plan to have a 7.1 setup and don't see the processor upgrade in the 1056 making a dramatic enough difference in 5.1 performance to justify the difference in price.

I happen to still have the Bryston that I mentioned sitting around. I will probably replace it no matter what as I'd a like a bit more "refinement" in my amplification, but it sounds like an amp upgrade is in order.

Out of curiosity, do you think I would notice a significant difference in terms of amplification if I upgraded to a 1065? I'm on a budget so buying used is the only way to go. I can probably sell the 1055 for what I paid.

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Personally if you're approaching the price of the 1065 you could likely get a used 1066 and 1075 for about the same money as you could when new. If your sticking to the used market (not a bad idea BTW, you can save $$$ if you don't need to be on the bleeding edge ) I'd go for the 1055/1080 (or equivelant) or the 1066/1075 and save for a two-channel (1080) amp down the line.

Jason
            Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Agreed the higher end Rotel receiver is nice if space really is tight but if you have the funds to buy that i'd urge you to stick with the 1055 and add a better power amp...be it a 1075 or more likely a 1080 given your 2 channel demands.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"