X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 77engineer
    • Mar 2003

Surround SOund Problems

I have had my 1066 for about three weeks now. I recently upgraded to version 1.49. I am having some problems with my surround modes. I have a Sony HD200 Satelite receiver. I watch normal programming (ESPN, CNN, ect) in Prologic II mode when I switch to a channel such as HBO that has a Dolby Digital feed and then I switch back to ESPN the receiver switches to PCM 2CH instead of Prologic II. I have set it to Prologic II several times on the OSD and it still switches to 2 CH Stereo after I switch from a DD source. The HD200 is hooked to the receiver via Toslink cable.

I am not real sure the receiver was doing this before I switched to version 1.49 but I am not sure since it was so new and I did not not about all the options. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Adam
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Was this the Beta 1.49 or the Final 1.49?

I know this was a bug, but I thought it was fixed when the final was released.. Try getting the firmware from Andrew's site and updating it again..

Kevin D.

Comment

• 77engineer
      • Mar 2003

I got the information from Andrew's site about 1 week ago. COuld it still have been the Beta version? I will try to flash the processor again this weekend and see if that fixes the problem.

THanks
      Adam

Comment

• sounddog
        • Feb 2003

If you've only had your RSP1066 for 3 weeks or so ... shouldn't you be using a 2.2.x firmware?

Or was it s/h or ex-dem?

Vikki

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Depending on where he got his 1066, it could have still been the older version..

Andrew should of had the update laster week, but ya never know.. I'll upgrade mine tonight and see if the problem is still there.. I'm not using the optical out on my Sat right now so I haven't had the desire to do it yet..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Sorry guys I've haven't been online at all today. The firmware on my site is the final version and the only other person to comment on this bug said the latest firmware fixed it for him so I'm a bit baffled when you say you still are having problems

Comment

• 77engineer
              • Mar 2003

Andrew and Kevin,

I upgraded my receiver again this weekend using the version that is on Andrew's website and I got the same results. I also sent Rotel an email and had them email the current version that they have and the same problem still happens. I have sent Mike an email to see what he suggests. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
              Adam Crace

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

Finally got around to updating my 1066 to 2.25 final..

I'm having the same issues as Adam. PLII, change to a DD channel, and your at PCM 2CH when you change back..

And in addition to that, I now remember why I didn't use the Digital out on my Sat.. This may be something they could add too.. If the on-screen display is set to on, it has to resync everytime I change the channel. This means the OSD covers my channel data as I change channels and gets very annoying.. If I turn OSD to off, I lose the onscreen volume and input change conformation..

If there is anyway they could add a delay of like 2-3 seconds in between loosing a digital signal and gaining it back where the OSD won't pop up, that would be really nice.. When I change the channel it looses sync for a second, starts searching for an analog signal (which pops the OSD up), then finds the digital signal again (which makes the OSD stay up longer), and this repeats at every channel change. Not even worth hooking the digtal output up..

It's all moot until they fix the sound field bug though..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

Ok,

I did some more playing around.. I set my Sat to only send Dolby Digital out the digital output, and use the analog for eveything else.. Your HD200 should have the same option (Usually DIGITAL OUT = OFF, PCM, DD, MIXED).

With this setting, regular analog channels remember to use PLII, Dolby Digital 5.1 channels come over as DD5.1, and Dolby Digtal 2.0 channels remember to decode using PLII.

As a side benefit, the OSD only pops up when you go from analog channels to digital channels, not everytime you change channels..

The bug is still there and I would like to use the Rotel DA convertor full time, but it is a nice work around.

Kevin D.

Comment

• 77engineer
                    • Mar 2003

Kevin,

I have sent Rotel an email concerning this issue and have not seen anything back yet.

Let me see if I understand what you are saying. I checked my HD200 and the audio options I have are Dolby Digital, PCM and OFF. I normally run it in the Dolby Digital mode which sends the info across the Toslink cable. When I turn it off I get no sound. If I hook up analog cables then I do get sound.

Check me here to see if this is a correct thought. If I am using RCA (analog) cable to hook my Sat receiver to the 1066 then I am not trully getting a Dolby Digital. Which would mean that if I watch HDNET (normally DD) then it would come in as PL II.

I can't believe that there are not others out there that are having this same type of problem.

THanks
                    Adam

Comment

• Kevin D
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

Hmm. It appears that your options are:

Dolby Digital: Sends 5.1 as 5.1 and everythiung else as PCM
                      PCM: 5.1 downconverted to PCM, everything else as PCM
                      OFF: Nothing..

In that situation, my workaround probably won't work.. My Dish Network has the option to ONLY turn the digital out on if it's a 5.1 source.. For some reason analog vs digital switching remembers the surround mode, but digital vs digital switching flakes it out..

What I don't get is why my DVD player's output that can switch from PCM in the menu to Dolby Digital in the movie and back to PCM in the menu seams to remember PLII fine..

We'll keep on them for a fix..

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"