X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eddiem67
    • Jun 2004

Ready for the next level

I am ready to do a complete ultimate upgrade, I need suggestions on speakers, 75% movies 25% music

I plan on buying these components

Anthem Statement D1
    Bryston 4B SST
    Bryston 5B SST
    Bryston 3B SST

or
    4B SST with
    Earthquake Cinenova 5.1

currently own
    Denon 4802R (selling)
    NAD S200 for Adire Sadhara
    Denon DVD3800

Thanks guys
    Last edited by eddiem67; 12 November 2004, 16:43 Friday.
    My Car Audio
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Eddie,

Nice amps...

What is your budget? AND What is your room size?

An abvious choice for those amps are B&Ws say 803 for mains, HTM1 for centre and SCM1 for surrounds...

And for (to die for sound) swap the 803s for 802s...

But there are other choices - more or less pricey

Like even more detail try the Focal JMLab Electra series (say 936 for the mains and the CC901 for centre with either SR900 or 906s for surrounds)

Something warmer - Paradigm Signature series

Etc

Geoff

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

I am getting close to finishing my upgrade. I will be buying my TV tomorrow, and SCM1's after the first of the year. I currently have:

center: b&w htm1
      mains: b&w n804
      rear: b&W 603
      sub: b&w asw850.

I was going to upgrade to the 803's, but since I only have a 30 inch tv, I am going to go ahead and upgrade it instead. I am using a cinenova grande 5 to power my 5.1 system and a rotel rsx1055. I am not trying to boast or brag, but if I had to do it all over again, I would do it EXACTLY the same. I think my system sounds amazing. It gives me goosebumps when I watch movies and listen to music.

I recently heard a 7.2 system that was similar to mine (though they had 4 scm1's) except had 803's and it sounded fantastic! While I couldnt directly a/b the 804's to the 803's, I hate to say it, but I am not sure there is much of a difference between the two when watching movies. My understanding is that the difference comes in when listening to music.

They were using velodyne subs (not sure the model) but I think the b&w asw850 sounds better.

I recently heard a b&k 7.1 system that was setup by CEDIA (at epcot) and I must say that while a lot of people brag about these speakers, I was not impressed. B&W, for me, provides depth, dynamics and seperation that I have not heard from any other speaker. These speakers truely disappear when you listen to them and create a 3-d sound field that is very alive. If your budget allows, I would recommend going as far up the b&w line as you can, but be sure and use quality interconnects, because it makes a dramatic difference. Your speakers are only as good as the wire delivering the sound to them.

This system works for me, but like anything, give it and everything, a listen and find what works for you. Hope that helps...

dan
      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• jazznsoccer
        • Apr 2004

Hi Dan,

Looks like a great set up.

How do you find the ASW for music? I am debating on that vs the Earthquake Supernova 15.

The CineNova Grande 5 is on order - can't wait to play with that!

Have you ever tried bi-amping with the CineNova? Having the bandpass filters on the amp should make that a fun experiment - especially with the B&Ws.

Mike

Comment

• sikoniko
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

I noticed i wrote b&k.. it was actually m&k. my bad.

The asw850 is the sub of all subs. nuff said.

When I was daydreaming about getting 802's, I thought about getting a grande 3 and biamping them. Seems pretty straight forward. I woke up from that dream though. Im still looking for whoever it was that woke me up!!!!

Once I get the tv and rear speakers though, Im hoping I can call it a day for a few years at which point I will upgrade my reciever and dvd player. While my receiver isn't as nice as some others, it has to do for now. the 2910 denon has caught my eye. Not sure I have the money though..

Comment

• eddiem67
            • Jun 2004

No budget, room is about 14 x 18, but I love it loud and clean (wife hates it) so big speaker dont bother me. the set up goes along the 14' wall and seating is about 4' from the back wall. I have a 60" toshiba widescreen. My current speakers are the Klipsch KLF30, KLF C7, and KSP S6.

Anyone else?
            My Car Audio

Comment

• sikoniko
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

I know you asked for another opinion, but I just wanted to say that if you decided to get N802's or higher, you would need the bryston 14b sst to power them, and the cinenova or whatever would work for the rest of your channels. Anything below that would work fine with your proposed amps.

Comment

• eddiem67
                • Jun 2004

why is that? I am looking at the 804's now
                My Car Audio

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Very nice... good luck on your upgrade!
                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• MattCXII
                    • Feb 2004

Have you looked at the Bryston SP 1.7 for a preamp? I have heard nothing but amazing things about it and some state that it edges out the D1.

Just a suggestion.

The 801's are a great choice... to say the least... I am envious.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"