X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sid
    • Apr 2003

DVD-2900 Multi-input vs Optical to RSP-1066

Can anyone suggest any clues to make the multi-input from the DVD-2900 sound as good as or better than the optical input to RSP-1066.
    I haven't checked on the speaker levels on the DVD-2900, but it sounds like the problem is more than speaker levels, sounds a little flat compared to the using the optical input and letting the RSP-1066 do the decoding. I need to buy a sound meter from Radio Shack. Presently only using the two front speakers (Magnapan MGMC1s) and a subwoofer (Velodyne HGS-12) driven by RMB-1075.
    Also I just had the latest software installed by Rotel USA and put in the bass management fix (Cut the two resistors)
    Appreciate any suggestions.
    Thanks, Sid
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Since you're comparing two different DAC's it will be impossible to get the to sound the same even if you ballence the channels properly. Using the optical cable you're letting the Denon pass the digital signal onto the Rotel where the 1066's DAC's decode it where as with the analog cables you're letting the Denon do the work. I'm actually surprised you prefer the 1066's since with my Denon 1600 I slightly prefer the sound of its DAC's vs my old Rotel 1055 and even my new 1098.

Comment

• Scarp
      • Mar 2003

Better quality interconnects for the analogue multi-input and better calibration and setup of the analogue multi channel output of the DVD player.

A good dvd players has more or less the same setup possibilities for its multi channel analogue output, such as level, crossover, etc. So set this up properly with its internal calibration tones. This can get rid of the level differences.

Besides that get a good set of 5 analogue cables. Cabling can improve sound quality quite much.

Besides that, there is little you can do. The multi-channel input of the 1066 should be a direct redirect to the outputs, so there is not much the 1066 can do about it (for better or worse).

Also, only use the multi-channel input for SACD and DVD-Audio. Those are the only ones that require analogue output and do not transfer through the digital outputs.

Comment

• hal
        • Jul 2003

I've had just the opposite experience with the Denon DVD-2900 and the RSX-1055's coax input vs. the multichannel analog inputs. I haven't bothered to try the optical inputs. To my ears the analog inputs have a clearer, more extended and natural high end -- I don't think it's even close listening to most material, either classical or pop. P.S. no resistor cut, no subwoofer.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"