• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimmyp58
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

Any Word on RSP-1098 Firmware Release

All:

Is there any word to a future release date of new RSP-1098 firmware? Haven't seen much written of late.

Jim
    jpiscitello@ameritech.net
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Jim,

I briefly spoke with Rotel in reference to new firmware release (2.1.3) and they stated there were not happy with the testing results.

Perhaps Andrew can elaborate further.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Its still in developement.

Comment

• Olaf
        • Nov 2003

Andrew,

Any clues as to what is going to be included? Is only the TFT black out feature or will there be more?

Regards,
        Olaf

Comment

• kneptune
          • Jan 2004

In addition to new firmware, building on that last comment, how much of the ongoing 1098 wish list can we really expect to ever happen? A lot of great work was put into it and I'm sure we would all like to see something come of it.

The last update I remember reading was that Rotel management was impressed with the list and would consider its contents, but there have been no further updates or no commitments.

Any word from Andrew or some of the other seniors members here on Rotel management’s position on the wish list?

A significant number of Rotel users I'm sure would like to know the long-term product road map for the 1098. Most manufacturing companies have such roadmap for their products and do try to share some of that with loyal customers.

Any new news?

Thanks,
          Kevin

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I should know more in a week or two once my contact returns from his over sea's travels...as soon as I know something I'll share what I can with you all.

Comment

• jimmyp58
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

Thanks Andrew....
              jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• DPA
                • Nov 2003

Will be most intressting Andrew....

What would we Rotel owners do without you mate :T

Ive heard rumors about a totaly new line of Rotel AV preamps... do yo know anything about this Andrew?
                Demon Dungeon

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2003

Kevin,

As the collator of the 'Wish List" for the RSP-1098/1068/1067 I have been engaged by Rotel in some confidential feedback on every item on the wish list. This has covered aspects such as:
                  • Clarifying the intent of the request
                  • Rotel exploring alternative ways of implementing the feature
                  • Rotel explaining a number of hardware limitations that prevent the request being done in software
                  • Rotel seeking more information from Cirrus about the options for implementing some of the requested capabilities.

There is no firm list of what will be provided. I have not updated the wish list as I am waiting on some more feedback from Rotel once they have analysed more. For example there are a number if items where Rotel initially felt hardware changes were required, where they are now looking at seeing if Cirrus can provide software updates to support. So my updating the list to say “probably can’t have” may be premature.

There will be several updates over the next year with new features. Rotel are taking the list very seriously. Rotel (at this stage) do not want to commit to particular features until they are confident they can be implemented. Once I get the next round of feedback from Rotel I will update the Wish-list….

So - watch this space....

Geoff

Comment

• Azeke
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2003

Sounds like a plan Geoff.

Thanks for your hard work.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• kneptune
                      • Jan 2004

Geoff,

My thanks as well for the update.

Rotel could differentiate themselves clearly from the competition if they could implement most of these changes, and importantly, convey this as press information on Rotel's upgradability and investment protection prowess, ie., not unlike Tag McClaren (sp?) has done.

Kevin

Comment

• kneptune
                        • Jan 2004

Andrew,

Are there any new updates from your Rotel contacts on an upcoming 1098 firmware release or an update on the 1098 wish list?

Thanks,
                        Kevin

Comment

• Bing Fung
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Olaf
                          Andrew,

Any clues as to what is going to be included? Is only the TFT black out feature or will there be more?

Regards,
                          Olaf
                          Is this feature not already there by holding down the "Menu" button for 3 seconds? :scratchhead:

Mine blacks out (turns off) the TFT and it initalizes when ever a command is sent (ie Volume) to show the adjustment level, and then turns off again.

It seems to work well, with the exception of the clicking during turning on/off the TFT.

Or are we talking about something totally different?
                          Bing

Comment

• Azeke
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2003

Yes Bing, it is something totally different. Most users want the option to turn the screen off totally even when commands are sent to the pre-pro.

Geoff and/or Andrew, may be able to further elaborate on the specifics.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Bing Fung
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Aug 2000

Ahhh.. Understood ops:

I wish there was some sort of funky color splash display, or screen saver images if you will. At times it tough to know if the 1098 is on of off with the display blacked out. The Red Power LED is always illuminated so that doesn't help.
                              Bing

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Bing if there's music coming out of the speakers its turned on :W

I'll inquire and find out what's going on with the firmware...

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                                  Bing if there's music coming out of the speakers its turned on :W
                                  Son-noffa Gun.. Why didn't I think of that?? :E :E

Because some times my system is sitting idle with no output and I dunna know if it is off or on :W
                                  Bing

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

bing use an amp trigger to your 1080 and if its powered up you know the 1098 is

Comment

• RisingPhoenix
                                      • Apr 2004

Just as long as you have fuses handy for the 1080 :P

Steve

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                                        bing use an amp trigger to your 1080 and if its powered up you know the 1098 is
                                        Riight :W Already had that planned Andrew. Unfortunately the start-up voltage of the 1080 is so high it tripps my UPS for my PC everytime I turn on the 1080. Out of fear of crashing my PC, I leave the 1080 on. When I get the electrician to wire our new kitchen, I'll have him pull a dedicated line for the HT.

Then your plan will work :B

My mono blocks have a 12V trigger that uses RCA connectors... I use to have my switched outlet on the Denon trigger it with a 12V wall wart, I need to make a unit that will convert the Rotel's 6V trigger.. Or I could try to see if the 6V will be enough to trigger the Monoblocks.
                                        Bing

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2000

He he good to know the 1080 has lots of current draw

good idea on the dedicated line to the HT rack..might as well make it a 20 amp line while you're at it

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"