X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HibbardSmith
    • Jan 2004

RSP 1098 Upgrade

The Rotel web site says:

"The software updates for the RSP 1098 have allowed for several changes and additions to the features and capabilities of these models, including the addition of options to allow the On Screen Display of the RSP 1098 to display when viewing a Progressive Scan or High Definition video signal."
    I've seen quite a lot of discussion here about the upgrade, but I haven't seen anyone mention this. In my opinion, this would be a fairly important improvement. Is this in fact for real? Reading the upgrade release notes, this feature is never mentioned. If it's for real, does this mean I won't need all the composite cables? This alone would make the upgrade worth doing. What level do I need to upgrade to to get this capability? My 1098 is at 1.1.1.

Since I've only had it about 3 weeks, isn't this level really low? Does this suggest it had been sitting somewhere in the pipeline for awhile?

Smitty,
    Hibbard T. Smith, JR
    smitty@essnjay.com
    Smitty,
    Hibbard T. Smith, JR
    smitty@essnjay.com
  • DrBoom
    • Dec 2003

Hmm, indeed a rather old version if you got it just 3 weeks ago.
    Mine is 3 months old and was equipped with 1.1.6 already.

If you decide to upgrade, it'll always be the latest version because the older ones get removed from the site once a newer comes out.
    If you want 2.1.1 you'll also have to do the Flash update, otherwise you'll be limited to 1.1.8.
    Not that they differ that much though.

No idea about that OSD with progressive though, don't use it myself.

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

Smitty,

Little confusion. There's on-screen-display(OSD): menu system and graphics that are displayed on the TV over the source, and then there's on-unit-screen; the actual screen that's on the front of the unit.

Basically, the OSD cannot display over any 480p or higher sources. With the new update you can set which inputs normally have a 480p or higher signal and when you hit 'menu' on the remote it temporarily disables that source so you can see the menu. When you exit the menu it restores the 480p+ signal. Before hand if you wanted to change something in the menu while on a 480p+ signal you would have had to switch off of that input to do it.

Short answer, that update has nothing to do with the screen on the front of the unit. For Rotel to include a converter that would convert every possible signal type and cable type to display on the screen would be cost prohibitive. Most people would rather not pay for the screen anyway.

Comment

• HibbardSmith
        • Jan 2004

Thanks for the responses. I'm disappointed. I agree that the screen is more a gimmick than a feature. The one good use I've found is for displaying the setup menus for other devices particularly my DVD player. By using the Rotel's screen, you can avoid having to bring the Plasma display up to change anything. More importantly, it avoids burning the big plasma display.

My DVD player (Pioneer DV-45A) won't output anything on the composite or s-video connectors when it's in progressive mode, and you can't change from progressive->interlaced or back from the remote. Therefore, having this otherwise useless screen for this would kind of justify it. I'd much rather have a big, always on status and menu dot matrix display (like my Sony TA-E9000ES did) than this screen.

Smitty,
        Hibbard T. Smith, JR
        smitty@essnjay.com
        Smitty,
        Hibbard T. Smith, JR
        smitty@essnjay.com

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2003

Hibbard,

Since I've only had it about 3 weeks, isn't this level really low? Does this suggest it had been sitting somewhere in the pipeline for awhile?

The short answer is YES

Rotel was shipping 1.1.2 in the October / November 2003 build RSP-1098s and 1.1.6 from the December build. The sitting the in pipeline is an odd think - since there as been a world-wide shortage / backorder of RSP-1098s with them often out of stock in various countries for several weeks at a time. However there are several 1.1.1 firmware models that have been sold recently from somewhere (e.g. whmacs in Australia got one).

I trust you got a good discount (like whmacs)...

That aside the firmware upgrade from 1.1.1. is in the "essential" category, fixing a number of bugs and issues with the RSP-1098 (e.g. DTS-ES sound on 6 or 7 channels). If you don't have more than 5 channels, I'd be tempted to go for the 1.1.8 firmware now (fix the bugs etc) and wait a little while for the 2.1.1 upgrade as some of the people with very early RSP-1098 have had some challenges with the 7.1 sound in the upgrade to DPL IIx and 2.1.1 firmware and EEPROMs and a fix is expected for this in the next few weeks. If you do have 6 or 7 channels - then try the EEPROM upgrade (its good for most people) and the 2.1.1. firmware and just revert to 1.1.8 if you have issues.

Either way if you think the RSP-1098 sounds great now - it definitely sounds better with the 1.1.6 and later upgrades. they rebalances sound levels and all sorts of fine tuning.

Enjoy

Geoff

Comment

• HibbardSmith
            • Jan 2004

Geoff,

No discount at all. Full US list price. My dealer (Audio ETC) is very good but this is what I got. Should I raise a fuss?

Smitty,
            Hibbard T. Smith, JR
            smitty@essnjay.com
            Smitty,
            Hibbard T. Smith, JR
            smitty@essnjay.com

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2003

Hibbard,

If it was me - I'd let the dealer know that I knew it was old. Then I would upgrade the EPROM and 2.1.1 straight away. If no problems - then fine. However if you are one of the unlucky ones that seem to have older units and for whom Rotel are still working on a fix for the 2.1.1 firmware - then I'd be asking for a new unit.

Geoff

Comment

• smalone
                • Aug 2003

How do you check the version?

Comment

• Azeke
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2003

Hold the mute button for approximately 3-4 seconds, this will reveal your firmware version.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• HibbardSmith
                    • Jan 2004

Geof,

I installed the 1.1.8 upgrade last night. went fine and, so far, seems to work fine. I'm still trying things to make sure it all works. Since this is a 5.1 system, I think I'll wait on the 2.1.1 until they work out the kinks. Are they actually working on it? I've read a lot of commentary about problems with 2.1.1 but I've seen nothing anywhere from Rotel, or anyone else for that matter, that would indicate they've acknowledged a problem or are doing anything about it.

I don't think I'm missing anything on a 5.1 system by not upgrading to 2.1.1 yet, am I?

Thanks for all your help.

Smitty,
                    Hibbard T. Smith, JR
                    smitty@essnjay.com
                    Smitty,
                    Hibbard T. Smith, JR
                    smitty@essnjay.com

Comment

• smalone
                      • Aug 2003

Thanks. It has been a while since I owned my 1066 and since I just turned 40.... well you get the picture. :-)

Well this one has 1.1.7-031111

Is that a good one or a bad one and should I upgrade it?

Comment

• Azeke
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2003

Smalone,

Check out this URL:

Rotel support is where you will find information about warranty registration, service, software downloads, owner’s manuals and product archives.

Remember to the follow the install instructions to the letter.

Hope this helps,

Arman

Comment

• smalone
                          • Aug 2003

Thanks Arman. Actually I had no problems updating my 1066 back when I had it but I was really just wondering if I should upgrade the 1098 I just setup.

I wish Parasound put out there upgrades for the C2 the way Rotel updates there firmware.

Comment

• smalone
                            • Aug 2003

Ok, I see there is an page on Rotel website about the upgrade.

http://rotel.com/support/techups/techup-H20.htm

I will give it a try!

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Oct 2003

Hibbard,

Congratulations

Are they actually working on it? I've read a lot of commentary about problems with 2.1.1 but I've seen nothing anywhere from Rotel, or anyone else for that matter, that would indicate they've acknowledged a problem or are doing anything about it.
                              Excellent question. Rotel have acknowledged the 5.1 / 7.1 issue as seeming to affect a few RSP-1098s after the upgrade to some of their worldwide distributors. As of last week they had not publicly identified a cause and were in diagnosis mode collecting information and attempting to reproduce the issue. Based on past behaviours I would expect them to work very privately with some impacted units / customers, trial fixes on a one on one basis, and then release a fix publicly when they are confident.

I don't think I'm missing anything on a 5.1 system by not upgrading to 2.1.1 yet, am I?
                              No, 1.1.8 is currently functionally identical to 2.1.1 except for the DPL IIx code which is targeted explicitly at 6.1 and 7.1 systems.

However I'd suggest you try the EEPROM upgrade (still with 1.1.8 ) and make sure your RSP-1098 is fine and then the 2.1.1 firmware upgrade. If you have problems you can back out to 1.1.8 - it would just be good while your unit is still very new to see if your unit can take the 2.1.1. upgrade (most seem to just fine but a few have had problems). In the unlikely / unlucky event that you have problems then as a full price recent customer I'd be asking for a brand new unit pre-upgraded. If no you have problems - then your unit is just fine

Ultimately your call though - since even if you did the upgrade later this year and had problems - you would doubtless get the same warrantee fix (software or hardware) that the few customers with the current issue will receive and we are talking about an issue that is basically invisible unless you have 6.1 / 7.1 sound.

Geoff

Comment

• smalone
                                • Aug 2003

OK, I just finished the upgrade to 2.1.1 and it went without a hitch.

Just followed the instructions and had no problems.

Comment

• Azeke
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2003

SMalone,

Congratulations, and welcome to DoProIIx.

Are you now going to utilize it for 7.1? That's truly when this upgrade really shines.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"