X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • >>Angel<<
    • Jan 2006

RSP-1098 upgrade question.

Hi there,

My apologies if another thread does already cover this topic, I haven't been able to find it amoung the huge collection of data.

My question: I noticed that on the Rotel website new software upgrades are available for the RSP-1098 unit. My current version is 3.1.5 (European model, The Netherlands). Reading through the upgrade instructions I couldn't determine what upgrade procedure I have to follow in order to end up with the latest firmware software. From what I understood I have to flash the EPROM first; do I have install patch 1, 2, 3 and 4 or like Kevin D. mentioned in another post just install patch 4? After this installation can I just apply firmware version 4.2.0 or should I first upgrade to the latest 3.x.x version?

I would appreciate any help on this matter

Regards,
    Angelo
    *RSP-1098*RMB-1075*RT-1080*Mission M5 series*Marantz DV-9600*Samsung LE52-F96*
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Thanks for posting first... The difference between 3.xx and 4.xx has to do with slight design differences in hardware components. If you were to go to 4.xx from a 3.xx version, things would not work correctly when you got done.

Also, only 3.xx units originally with 3.12 or lower need the eeprom #4 update. So you don't need to apply this.

Honestly, unless you control the 1098 by RS232 instead of IR, there's really no need to upgrade your unit from 3.1.5 to 3.2.0

Kevin D.

Comment

• >>Angel<<
      • Jan 2006

Kevin,

Thank you for your response, it is very much appreciated.

When I originally bought this unit the firmware version was 3.12. Some time after this purchase I upgraded the firmware to 3.15 without flashing the EPROM. My thoughts were at that time I wouldn't use the full functionality of a 7.1 setup; I understood from the upgrade manual the flashing was only needed if you wanted to rear channels to process individual sounds. Since I am now at the verge of implementing a 7.1 configuration, I would like to know what the upgrade procedure would look like in this particular case when applying the lasest software. Should I first flash the EPROM to patch 4 and accordingly apply firmware version 3.20?

P.s. Does anyone experienced problems when upgrading using a Vista based pc?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
      Angelo

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

If you started at 3.12, then yes you would only need the EEPROM #4. You wouldn't have to go to 3.2.0, but if you have everything set up you might as well.

If it's a vista machine with a true RS232 port, then you should have a problem. If you are using a USB to RS232 adapter, you might run into some issue depending on the model. Generally it just might take longer then expected.

Kevin D.

Comment

• >>Angel<<
          • Jan 2006

Thanx Kevin, I will give it a try;-)

Angelo

Comment

• Paddy_NZ
            • Jun 2008

Hi All,

Ive just took delivery of my new (not brand New - Ex Demo) RSP 1098, I think its been sitting around the dealers shelves for some time as it is still on version 1.1.2 software,
            Im Keen to get it up to the latest software revision, - I think that i have got the software upgrade procedure sorted out, but just wanted to bounce the procedure off someone,

Im assuming im able to do the following, 1, Load EEPROM upgrades 1,2,3,4, and then load the latest 2.x.x version software?

Or do i need to upgrade to the latest 1.x.x version before doing the steps ive mentioned above,

Any help much appreciated

Regards
            Paddy

Comment

• hifiguymi
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2007

If the unit you have has firmware that starts with a "1" then you have to stick with that. There are some minor hardware differences (nothing to do with performance of the unit) and you need to stay in the same series.

Eric

Comment

• Paddy_NZ
                • Jun 2008

Thanks Eric,

I was under the impression that 1.x.x versions were able to go to 2.x.x software with the EEPROM upgrade, I will try taking it to the latest 1.x.x version tonight.

Cheers
                Paddy

Comment

• hifiguymi
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2007

You're right. I was thinking of the other versions. You can't go to a 3.x.x. from a 2.x.x or to a 4.x.x. from a 3.x.x. or a 2.x.x. Yes you need to do the EEPROM update first. Make sure you do a factory reset after you do the EEPROM update and the firmware update.

Eric

Comment

• imbeaujp
                    • Nov 2007

My dealer told me : If you do not have any problem with your processor, why upgrade ?

JP
                    Jean-Pierre Imbeau

ROTEL: RSP-1098|RT-1080|RCD-1072|RDV-1060|RLC-1040|RB-1080x2|RMB-1075
                    PIONEER: ELITE PRO-940HD|BDP-HD1|inno
                    YAMAHA: NS-1000|NS-1000M|CA-1010|CT-1000|TC-1000|YP-1000
                    PEARLESS: XXLS-12x4|BEHRINGER DSP-1124

Comment

• Kevin D
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

Originally posted by imbeaujp
                      My dealer told me : If you do not have any problem with your processor, why upgrade ?

JP
                      Unless he asked what version you were at and compared it to the release notes, that's a poor statement from your dealer.

While it's true that some updates won't effect a lot of users out there, going from 1.xx to the latest 2.xx is HIGHLY recommended.

Also, just because you don't notice you have a problem doesn't mean you don't.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Paddy_NZ
                        • Jun 2008

I did the upgrade from 1.1.2 to 1.1.8 last night, to get the feel for it - went well, Ill do the EEPROM upgrade and the upgrade to the latest 2.x.x this weekend, I wanted to do it as i have a lingering problem with my remote and switching sources, I wanted to be at the latest software revision before spending time investigating that issue!

Comment

• >>Angel<<
                          • Jan 2006

I just succesfully upgraded my 3.1.5 device to 3.2.0 including the 4th EPROM update.
                          Thanks for your help and advice on this matter;-)

Maybe good to share: I encountered a problem when trying to upgrade the EPROM since the flashup tool wouldn't connect to the 1098 using com port 2. I succesfully upgraded the firmware using the same com port using the mtty application, so my initial thoughts were that the used com port wouldn't be the problem. After some more attempts using different settings I found out that the flashup application only would connect to the 1098 when using com port 1:-( Do you have the same experience?

Regards,
                          Angelo

Comment

• mcamit
                            • Sep 2011

hi all i'm new here and my unit is experiencing some problems that may or may not be related to a software upgrade , and i just wanted to consult before i'm trying anything as it not in warranty . my unit was originally bought from a us dealer in the us back in 2003. and it showed up to my two weeks ago as the second owner , currently running 2.2.6 (090407) and having some problems related to the dsp i guess , (music1-4 , 5.1 stereo, 7.1 stereo modes dont work at all, all other modes are working properly , the unit is connected via toslink cable to the optical 1 input. the unit will behave the same throw all other digital or analog connection as well, so i thought that maybe re installing my current firmware might help? can i downgrade? and if a re-installation will help can please someone post the procedure here? thank's for your replays

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"