X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cantrell
    • Feb 2004

Ordering new Rotel equipment Saturday, question about RMB-1095

blue]Hello Club Rotel members,

I have been reading this board on a regular basis for a few months now but have never posted before. This Saturday I am finally going to order the new Rotel equipment I have been eyeing for awhile :P I want to thank all the contributers on this board because when I originally decided it was time to upgrade I first thought about getting a new receiver (I have a Yamaha RXV795 now) but then after getting a little education from this board about seperates, and then Rotel, I went to the local Rotel dealer for a listen. WOW! What a terrific sound! Since then I have listened to a few other brands just for comparision, some much pricer than Rotel, and to my ears the Rotel is better than anything I have heard to date. I am convinced that Rotel seperates offer the best value for the money and will be a significant step up in sound quality. I am especially interested in being able to listen to multi-channel SACD's and DVD-A's and with the receiver I have now that is not possible.

I am going to order a RMB-1095 and RSP-1098. The question I have is about the RMB-1095 and the ground hum issue a few people have experienced. This will NOT deter me from buying what I think is a fantastic unit for the money, but I want to make sure I get the right unit if there has been recent changes to this model. I believe the design of the RMB-1080 was recently modified slightly, and that change reduced ground hum occurance - do you know if the RMB-1095 has similarily been modified recently and what that modification was? If so I want to make sure the Rotel dealer here orders the latest model with those changes.

I am also going to get a Monster 2600 power center. This is not a high end line conditioner but it should provide good surge protection and I believe also help with grounding. I also bought a $6.99 DC ground blocker and isolation cable from www.cablesandconnectors.com after reading an earlier post here from a member who used that and his problem was solved. So I think I am covered but if there has been any recent changes to the RMB-1095 I just want to make sure I get one of the newer units.

BTW I have Definitive Technology speakers which I love. I found out the hard way the Yamaha receiver I have is not a good match for these and I think the Rotel equipment should be a much better sonic partner to them. I can't wait to hear what they sound like with the Rotel gear driving them!

Definitive Technology BP2004 fronts
    Definitive Technology CLR2002 centers (2)
    Definitive Technology BP8B rears
    Denon 2900 DVD player

Cheers!
    Tim
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

congrat's on some fine purchases to come:T

I believe so long as the 1095 has the new clear WBT binding posts on the back you should be fine wrt the grounding issue...just to be on the safe side though you could have that nice amp sent to me for testing first...I'd only take a couple of months to get it back to you...honest

Comment

• Legairre
      • Jan 2002

Andrew may be right. I've had my 1095 since Nov 27th 2001 (yep I'm so happy with the thing I even remember the day I got it ops: ). Mine has the clear binding post and doesn't hum a note, but it does carry some sweet tunes.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
      Radden Home Theater
      "What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
      Radden Home Theater

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Congrats on the purchase I'm sure you'll get tons of enjoyment

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
        Jason

Comment

• Azeke
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2003

Cantrell,

Congratulations on your new toys and welcome to the world of separates.
          The RSP-1098 and RMB-1095 is an awesome combination. I was a Yami receiver guy, and then my upgrade path began. I currently own the 1098, 1095(no hum issue) and the RB-1080 (for 2 channel stereo).

Have fun,

Azeke

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
            • Sep 2003

You will love the Rotel/DefTech combo. The 1075 pushed my non powered BP30's quite well. The 1095 will make your 2004's sing!!

Just pray you don't get that hum.

Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Theatre Photo Album (A work in Progress)
            GameTracker -My List-
            Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Comment

• Cantrell
              • Feb 2004

Thanks for the info guys!

Comment

• Byberg
                • Mar 2004

My first post here........I just bought and installed a RSP-1068 and the notorious RMB-1095. My 1095 does have the clear bindings on the back around the screws and it works/sounds great. I have a Monster HTS2500 connected to my rack equipment and I've noticed no hum noise at all.

As I am totally new to seperates am I to understand that my 1068 already has the PLIIx installed on it? I guess it should show 2.1.1 somewhere?

The 1095 is driving my new B&W 703's and HTM1 and it sounds pretty sweet so far.

Comment

• Azeke
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2003

Welcome Byberg to Club Rotel, you have a nice lineup.

If you hold the mute button for approximately 4-5 seconds it will reveal your software version.

Enjoy your toys,

Azeke

Comment

• mpauline
                    • Dec 2003

Tim,

Congratulations on your equipment purchase. You will love it. I just purchased a RSP 1098 to replace my old 976. Also bought the 1080 amp to pair up with my 1095.

I never had a problem with my 1095 which does not have the clear binding posts. Maybe I was just lucky however it is an incredibly sweet sounding unit.

I believe you will never look back now that you have moved into the world of seperates. Sure maybe someday you will change your processor but your amps will always stay with you. I moved from Denon receivers to Rotel seperates and there is no comparison.

One note though now that you have done this your expectations will be high and if you listen to other inferior gear you will reallly notice how bad it sounds.

Enjoy

Mark

Comment

• Cantrell
                      • Feb 2004

Just an update guys,

Went to the Rotel dealer last week and I am now the proud owner of the RMB-1095 and RSP-1068! This combo sounds fantastic and it is not even broken in yet! The RMB-1095 does have the clear WBT binding posts (thanks for the info Andrew) and my dealer said he thought they had been shipping this way for awhile now. There is not a bit, I mean not a PEEP of hum from the RMB-1095, only sweet, beautiful sound. I didn't even put on the ground blocker and isolation cable I bought because I just don't need it - I connected everything up and plugged it all into the Monster line conditioner and gave it a try and it sounded great!

The difference in sound of this gear vs. the Yamaha receiver I was using is striking - the Rotel combo sounds very wide and open, and the bass is much more detailed and refined. Treble is smoother and lusher and not as harsh. The sound quality is just so clear and clean. The RMB-1095 seems quite the beast. I cranked up the volume once just to see what it could do and it never acted as if it were so much as breaking a sweat, even as it approached the level where I quckly brought down the volume to save my ear drums. Very powerful.

Anyway, I am sure I will have questions later about the RSP-1068, as it is now I haven't had it long enough to do anything but connect it up out of the box with a basic configuration and give it a listen. I LOVE this system!

Tim

Comment

• Cantrell
                        • Feb 2004

One correction - I got the RSP-1098, not the 1068. I guess I am so excited I can't type straight!

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"