X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hman
    • May 2004

help a new guy...please

Hi,I have finally reached the promise land..just purchased my first Rotel...1075 amp.I am currently using an Onkyo 797 receiver as pre-amp..Im considering a dealer demo 1066 processor for $999.Questions...how much difference in sound quality will there be....or should i splurge and buy 1068...what will i be missing with 1066 that the 1068 would give?Money of course is allways an issue.I have a 5.1 set up now with Paradigm reference 40v3,570cc and surrounds..will be going to 7.1 after purchase...whattodowhattodowhattodo...any opinion would be greatly appreciated.....thanx
    H.Donald
  • whmacs
    • Oct 2003

Originally posted by hman
    Hi,I have finally reached the promise land..just purchased my first Rotel...1075 amp.I am currently using an Onkyo 797
    Hi Hman,
    I went down the same path as you.I was using an Onkyo 787 as a processor and an RMB1075 & RB1070 for the amps (7.1 system). I replaced the Onkyo with an RSP-1098. Big difference! The two major things that jump out at you is the rear effects channels, you now get much more activity out of your two back speakers. But the biggest improvement is in music (2 or 5.1 channel). You will be amazed just how musical your system will sound once you upgrade to the RSP-1066 or RSP-1068 (a better bet) than your current Onkyo. Other things you will also notice is a bigger sound stage and better separation of the directional sounds.

cheers,
    Stephen
    My Home Theatre

Comment

• Danbry39
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by hman
      Hi,I have finally reached the promise land..just purchased my first Rotel...1075 amp.I am currently using an Onkyo 797 receiver as pre-amp..Im considering a dealer demo 1066 processor for $999.Questions...how much difference in sound quality will there be....or should i splurge and buy 1068...what will i be missing with 1066 that the 1068 would give?Money of course is allways an issue.I have a 5.1 set up now with Paradigm reference 40v3,570cc and surrounds..will be going to 7.1 after purchase...whattodowhattodowhattodo...any opinion would be greatly appreciated.....thanx

Of course, this is only what I'd do, but it would be pretty much a sure thing on my part, especially if I was going 7.1 in the future. I owned the 1066, have listened briefly to the 1066 and would go for the 1068 hands down. I really loved my 1066, but think of it as a bit long on the tooth now, even with the wonderful job Rotel has done with firmware upgrades. The sound I heard out of the 1068 this last weekend seemed to indicate better electronics. It's the next generation 1066 and, with that, comes sonic and feature improvements, as well as added flexibility.

Again, I can't stand in your shoes, but the 1068 would easily be my choice, even given the extra cash outlay I'd have to make. Heck, I wouldn't even be able to wait those couple of months til when dealers become more willing to bargain down on the price.

Just my opinion.
      Last edited by Danbry39; 13 May 2004, 10:16 Thursday.
      Keith

Comment

• Danbry39
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2002

One more thing I'd like to mention. I too went from using an Onkyo (696), which was being coupled with my Parasound amp, to the 1066. While I felt there was a huge difference in two-channel playing of redbook CD's, I wasn't overwhelmed by the improvement as far as home theater applications. With my new pre-pro, as well as what I heard with the 1068, there is a very, very appreciated step up on the home theater front. Sound just fills the room much more than before.
        Keith

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

If you were just going to stick to 5.1 then the 1066 might make sense but if 6.1 or 7.1 is in your future I'd strongly urge you to consider the newer 1068 (or 1056 if its cheaper)...that and to be honest $1000 for a demo doesn't sound like that great a deal to me.

Comment

• hman
            • May 2004

thanks for input

Thanks all for opinions...I think deep down I wanted a little push to go over the edge[mine anyway]and purchase the 1068....timber!! Herm
            H.Donald

Comment

• EricAnthonE
              • Apr 2004

well i don't own rotel, but i would agree that an upgraded pre/pro would make things much more musical.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"