X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • markmaple
    • Apr 2004

RSP-1068, is this popping normal?

Now that Rotel has replaced my unit that had the humming problem, I'm very happy with the unit. There is an annoying popping that I get and I wonder if it is normal. I get the pop through the speakers when I mute a source, change source or change satellite channels. While trying to isolate it, I went to a non-active input (no input signal), and press mute, I get the pop. I do have highly efficient speakers so I might hear it more than others. It doesn't affect listening to material. It's just annoying, especially when changing satellite channels.
  • caleb1995
    • May 2004

just bought a new one this weekend...

I will check for your popping sound tonight (don't think I have used the mute function yet).

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

How loud is the pop?

Comment

• markmaple
        • Apr 2004

I can easily hear it 8 feet from my main speakers (sensitivity 102dB).

Comment

• caleb1995
          • May 2004

No pop whatsoever on mine...

...either using the mute button or switching channels. I also do not have the humm that has been described in some posts.

Comment

• markmaple
            • Apr 2004

I'm getting tired of spending all of my Rotel time diagnosing instead of listening!

My popping seems to come and go. Tonight, I unhooked everything and slowly started hooking things back up. I didn't really discover anything. For some reason, the pop I get when I switch satellite channels seems to be mostly gone. I bet it returns though. Sometimes the mute pop would be barely noticeable, sometimes more noticeable.

While diagnosing, I found that my SVS sub had a hum to it. I have narrowed this down. It only hums if connected to the 1068 AND the 1068's component out is connected to the TV. This hum happens even if I unplug the TV.

I will probably email Rotel tomorrow, but they probably won't help much. When I emailed them about the hum I had with my first 1068, they said it was probably a ground loop problem and to contact my dealer if I couldn't fix it. That's a reasonable answer except that I had narrowed it down to a problem that they seemed familiar with when the dealer called them.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

It sounds like its a static build up that's giving you grief..which might explain why you didn't hear it when you reconnected everything. How well is your satellite system grounded?

Comment

• markmaple
                • Apr 2004

Andrew,

Could you explain more about static build up problems? I have gotten the impression that satellite dishes are a big concern unlike cable TV.

Any thoughts on my sub hum problem? If it was a ground loop problem, wouldn't it go away when the TV was unplugged? It seems similar to the problem I had before where I got a hum when another component was hooked via audio AND video.

Thanks,
                Mark

Comment

• GosonFletchy
                  • May 2004

I had a hum in my subwoofer from my RSP-1068 and I was able to eliminate it by turning down the volume on my sub and I just used the 1068's subwoofer control to adjust the volume. I am guessing that the gain of my subwoofer was too high and therefore it was producing a hum. 8)

Comment

• markmaple
                    • Apr 2004

That's what Rotel just told me to try. I'll give it a shot. It's just seems like a work-around since the hum goes away when I disconnect the component cable going to the TV.

Comment

• Olaf
                      • Nov 2003

Dear Mark,

With regards to the hum of your subwoofer, I do not think disconnecting your TV from the outlet is the solution as I believe all TVs do be non-grounded (2 pins).

The fact that the hum starts when you connect the component cables to the TV implies to me (but I am not an expert) that the cable and/or satelite feed to your TV may be causing the problem.

Can you please try to disconnect both cable feeds from your TV to check if the hum disappears?

I had a ground loop hum using my RSP-1098 and RB-1080 and after I installed a ground loop isolator on my cable TV feed the hum was gone.

Regards,
                      Olaf

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"