X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gostan
    • May 2003

RSP-1098 Zone 2 Amplifier Question

I made the mistake of going to my audio dealer yesterday. He had a close-out on a discontinued new Aragon 8008ST DualMono Amplifier 200x2 which I now have hooked up to run my fronts with the RMB-1075 running the center and rears. I thought that there was a way to re-assign the front left and right amps from the RMB-1075 to power Zone 2, but I do not see how to do so from either the back panel of the 1098 or its' manual. Can this re-assignment be accomplished? If not, how do I go about running Zone 2 with existing equipment (Switching Box?) as I advised my wife that I needed this amp to run Zone 2?

The Aragon needs a few days to a week to break in, but WOW! The bass and head-room from my B&W CDM7NT's is a great upgrade.
    Stan
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

The short answer is yes if you only have a 5.1 system

Hi,

Providing you only have a 5.1 system the RSP-1098 can have an active 2 channel zone 2 that can be operating totally independently from zone 1 (i.e. playing different music in different rooms etc. Page 9 of the RSP-1098 manual shows you how to connect this up and Page 28 tells you how to use it.

You can use 2 of the channels on your RMB-1075 to drive the extra speakers - this will mean a long run of speaker cable from the RMB-1075 through the walls to the other room. Take the time to get reasonable OCF copper cable for this (not too thin) and you'll be fine - professional installers do it all the time.

Enjoy your new amp.

Geoff

Comment

• gostan
      • May 2003

Geoff:

Thanks for your reply. I have run the Right and Left Front Pre-Outs from the 1098 to the Right and Left Inputs in the Aragon amplifier. I have run speaker wire from the speakers in Zone 2 and connected the zone 2 speaker wires to the Right and Left Front speaker connectors of the RMB-1075 amplifier. I have connected the right and left analog outputs from my cd player to the right and left cd inputs of the 1098. I turn on zone 2, but no sound. I must be doing something wrong. I would assume that the front right and left amplifiers of the RMB-1075 should now be available to run the zone 2 without doing anything else, since they are no longer running my main fronts. I will re-check connections and settings when I get home from work to see if I have messed up the connections. Thanks.

Stan

PS: I am running a 5.1 setup as my existing room does not allow for 7.1
      Last edited by gostan; 04 May 2004, 10:23 Tuesday. Reason: add information
      Stan

Comment

• Bam!
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2004

Gostan!

Yeah!!!!

I am having the same problemo...can' t wait to hear the reply for your problem!!!!

Thanks man! :T
        Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Scherr
          • Dec 2003

You can only use the analog connection from the CD player for zone 2. If you are using the digital connection from the CD player, no sound will be produced.

The Rotel may default to digital so you may have to switch it to analog to play in zone 2.

Scott

Comment

• Bam!
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Scherr
            You can only use the analog connection from the CD player for zone 2. If you are using the digital connection from the CD player, no sound will be produced.

The Rotel may default to digital so you may have to switch it to analog to play in zone 2.

Scott

ops: ops: ops:
            Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Scherr
              • Dec 2003

Gostan:

You are running cables from the zone 2 preouts to the 1075, right?

Scott

Comment

• gostan
                • May 2003

Scott:

That is my quandry. I know that I have to have some type of pre-out connection from the 1098 to the 1075 for Zone 2, but I am using the main front pre-outs from the 1098 to go to the new Aragon amplifier. If there are a dedicated set of pre-outs on the back of the 1098 to be able to use the main front l&r amps from the 1075 for zone 2, I must be missing them. Do you know where they are located?

Stan
                Stan

Comment

• gostan
                  • May 2003

Scott:

I am at work and not at home, but I do have my manual with me. The layout on pages 10 and 11 is so hard to read. Is the zone 2 audio out (pre-out) to cable to the fronts inputs on the 1075 located just under the s-video and composite zone 2 video out and is it labelled audio out zone 2 l&r??? It would make sense that this is the connection. If so, I must have been too excited about my new Aragon amp to be able to see straight. Thanks,

Stan
                  Stan

Comment

• Scherr
                    • Dec 2003

Gostan:

I believe that is it. I do not own the 1098, but every receiver or preamp that has zone 2 capability has outputs for it. I went to www.rotel.com, looked up the 1098, and they had a diagram of the back panel. The zone 2 outputs are right smack in the middle of the back of the preamp.

Scott

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Oct 2003

Gostan,

The Zone 2 Pre-outs are at the top of the various audio outputs for tape etc. They are in the 4th board from the left on the back of the RSP-1098. Immediately above them are the Zone 2 video outputs. (IE they are not part of the main pre-outs and are treated line a tape out) Page 9 of the RSP-1098 manual shows exactly where they are and how to connect them.

Geoff

Comment

• gostan
                        • May 2003

Scott & Geoff:

Thanks for your input. The zone 2 outs are right where you directed me. Very nice to have music in second zone. Even nicer is the dynamic sound in my listening room with the Aragon running my main speakers. I am listening to Blood, Sweat & Tears SACD of their second album. David Clayton Thomas never sounded so good on And When I Die pre-new amplifier. I will have to let it run for about a week straight to break in. Thanks all.

Stan
                        Stan

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"