• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bam!
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2004

Curious about what level you set your Rotel's at

Hey guys!

i had someone argue with me that seeting your mains higher then +1 is wrong :?

My 1056...is set like this :

Mains + 8
    Center + 7
    Surrounds +6 Left + 7 Right

That gives me pretty even sound with an SPL meter using Pink noise from Avia....

So would I be better off lowering the whole thing by 7 or 7 dbs ?

i just figure the amp will play that much louder at lower volumes and louder and loid volumes

Thanks for the input....
    Got a nice rack to show me ?
  • spiffnme
    • Apr 2003

I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but unless you're pushing your 1056's volume to the limit (which I highly doubt), why not simply leave your settings at:

Mains + 2
    Center + 1
    Surrounds +0 Left + 1 Right

That should give you the same even levels, no?

Comment

• Bam!
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by spiffnme
      I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but unless you're pushing your 1056's volume to the limit (which I highly doubt), why not simply leave your settings at:

Mains + 2
      Center + 1
      Surrounds +0 Left + 1 Right

That should give you the same even levels, no?

Yes but why ? that is the point to this thread.....what's the difference....does it affect anything that I am not aware of....

Thanks for the reply!

Comment

• bluecar
        • Apr 2004

I think you should set them all to 11...

Comment

• Bam!
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by bluecar

what' s up dude....????

Comment

• daidavel
            • Jan 2004

Bam, he was making a Spinal Tap reference ... great movie!

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Bam I think that was a Spinal Tap reference (It was Spinal Tap wasn't it?... My memory could be involved here...lol)

Now I'm not saying your way is wrong but the usual method of calibrating is to start with your front left speaker and turn the volume up until it hits 75dB on your SPL meter (it was 75dB wasn't it? God my memory's horrible this morning 8O ) Then with the volume remaining the same you add or subtract level from the resa of the speakers as needed to get them to 75dB. Your front left should always be at "0". Also depending on your room and speaker placement your front left and right speakers may not be the same levels.

Jason
              Jason

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

There ya go, it was Spinal Tap. My memory's not so bad after all

Jason
                Jason

Comment

• Bam!
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2004

Your front left should always be at "0".
                  Why is that buddy ?

Spinal tap ain.....gonna have to see that one... :

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Because it's your baseline that you adjust all the other channels from. I'm not saying your way won't work it's just not the "textbook" way of doing things. You start with the left channel and set the level at "0" and raise (or lower) the master volume until it hit's 75dB on your SPL meter. Then adjust the levels +/- of the other channels until they're all 75dB.

Jason
                    Jason

Comment

• Bam!
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jan 2004

Jason!

O.K. don' t lose it on me here ol buddy ol pal....but I understand that that is the reference point and all.....

BUT.

what difference would it make if I set my front left at +7....will it affect the sub....the effects....2 channel....anything.....anything at all...

Don' t forget I had an arguement with a Joe Six pack over this....and I want concrete shiat.....that I can :throwup: on this guy!

Hey anyone drink scotch ? !!! :lol:

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

lol... Like you, I lost it a long time ago you crazy frenchman you :crazy:

But what difference would it make if I set my front left at +7
                        Honestly I don't know. Probably not much, possibly it might have some small effect on sound quality having the pre-amp do more work than necessary...? I mean you can drive along on the highway in third gear if you want to ...but if you've got a fifth gear why not up shift?

Jason
                        Jason

Comment

• Bam!
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jan 2004

So Jason

what you are telling me is that I am the J6Pack......he is right.....it can' t be he has a home theater in the box from Costco...It can' t be.....

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :E :E :E :E :E :E 8O

this is just wrong....wrong I tell ya!!!!!!

:

Please destroy this thread....I am still telling him he is wrong... :lol:

Comment

• aud19
                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2003

Please destroy this thread....I am still telling him he is wrong...
                            lol... sorry Bam as a moderator of this area I can not destroy it because it could be usefull information to someone else and I just wouldn't feel right. Besides it is kinda funny...lol

Oh well, live and learn buddy :^x

Jason
                            Jason

Comment

• Chuck
                              • Apr 2004

What about volume levels? For music it seems like my rotel needs to be set at 55 or 60 to really attack it and for movies I generally hit 70. This is using the same dvd player for dvds and cds. Is this normal to require high volume settings for a more dynamic sound? How could I have the same dynamics at lower volumes?

Comment

• Bam!
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Chuck
                                What about volume levels? For music it seems like my rotel needs to be set at 55 or 60 to really attack it and for movies I generally hit 70. This is using the same dvd player for dvds and cds. Is this normal to require high volume settings for a more dynamic sound? How could I have the same dynamics at lower volumes?

Chuck....it is called volume gain.

My 60 watt integrated Rotel ofcourse, screams at volume 2 or 3 (analog dial) the 1056 needs to be a 50 before I even hear it.....low gain.....

It makes no difference...as you crank it starts singing....like a 4 cylinder....it gets powerful at around 4000 RPM.....it is a deadhorse a 1000RPM.....

Hope this helps...

:T

Comment

• Chuck
                                  • Apr 2004

Hey Bam,

Would you say that I would have the same situation with the 1067? if so, that would just be overkill in my building with the extra watts. Would I also have the same issue with a stereo amp (Rb1080)? As for my system I've set the center as small, upped the center channel, and also increased the high frequencies on the center. It sounds better so far. I also somehow set the dynamic range to max accidentally, which is better I think, I need to check that out in the manual. I've only done this in the past half hour, but I have to find a way to keep this setting for movies and lower the center channel in 5channel/dts neo 6 mode. I don't like center channels so much with music.

work in progress!

Comment

• Chuck
                                    • Apr 2004

huh, when I set the center to +3 and changed to other devices and then back it doesn't keep it in memory. but it keeps the rear channels in memory. what gives?

Comment

• Bam!
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Jan 2004

Chuck!

I am really happy to hear your tweaking! :T You da man!....as for the Dynamic Range....my understanding is set it to minimum...is what you want sort of for movies....If not the explosions are really lous and then the quiet conversations are so quiet you can` t hear them....

That Dynamic range is only used on digital signals....not analog....

Have you plugged (good analog interconnects) to your 1056....Try 2 channel direct pass....trust me if that doesn`t sing....there is a problem....and it ain`t the receiver!

Try that and tell me!

:T

Comment

• Bam!
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Jan 2004

huh, when I set the center to +3 and changed to other devices and then back it doesn't keep it in memory. but it keeps the rear channels in memory. what gives?

Chuck you have to calibrate when on TEST using the pink noises from the amp to save the settings....

Comment

• greggz
                                          • Jun 2002

Good topic! I have wanted to post something similar for a while.

On my 1066, with the volume at 75, my mains need to be set at -1db to register 75db on the SPL meter. But my center needs to be set at -4db to register 75 db on the SPL meter.

Anybody else have such a large variance? I'm guessing that it is some sort of room interaction that is really boosting the center. I have taken measurements using 2 different amps with identical results.
                                          Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• Chuck
                                            • Apr 2004

Hey Bam, I don't have good analog interconnects. I bought a coax cable - cinemaquest vdm2 (if my memory serves me) it was in the discontinued bin at my local dealer for 30% off so I got it for around $115. I also happened to stumble on a cd that I already had that is HDCD, it sounds good. But to clarify my previous complaints, the softer less layered songs (norah jones, miles davis, other softer songs on my cds) definitely sound more detailed and clear. My concern is the lack of gusto on the rock songs. And any music at low volumes seems to lack clarity. If I do decide to go for a different rotel combination I'm wondering what would be best for my ears' notion of good music(1056 with 1080 stereo amp / 1067 / seperates). I'd like clarity for the softer songs, but some attitude for the harder stuff. I'm up for any suggestions, from recommended tester cds and dvds to different brands. I'm not happy with my local dealer, they have a non-negotiable 7 day return policy and I'd like to know if this is the brand for me. They told me there is about a 100 hour break-in period, I said that 7 days doesn't seem reasonable for that long of a break-in period. They then told me that customers usually will take home a broken in demo unit to see how it fits their system and then decide. Well I was never offered that option, on any rotel product, maybe because I'm in my lower 20s and they assume I don't have money, but I also had to order the 1056 without hearing it. So considering the circumstances maybe there could be an exception on this return policy... Nope. I'm very unhappy with Seattle's Definitive Audio. I'm really trying to give this brand a shot but I may have to return it prematurely. But wow, aren't they nice to offer a 30 day exchange for another one of their products. Whew, sorry for the rant, I'm just annoyed.

Comment

• Darren M
                                              • Apr 2004

Bam - to your original question, assuming the adjustments are linear (the increase from 0 to 1 is the same as the increase from 6 to 7) I wouldn't think it would make any difference whether you have a +7 and +8 versus and 0 and a +1. The only down side I see is you've removed range. If you have your mains set at +8 and need and additional +3 for your surrounds, you're SOL, for example. Otherwise, I can't think of any reason it would make a difference, it's just not "textbook" (but who wants to be that anyway).

Comment

• Bam!
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Jan 2004

Darren!

The only down side I see is you've removed range. If you have your mains set at +8 and need and additional +3 for your surrounds, you're SOL, for example.
                                                I`m not following SOL :? ...whatch you mean fine lad ?

Oh and for the first part.... :smootch:

:lol:

Comment

• Bam!
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Jan 2004

Hey Bam, I don't have good analog interconnects. I bought a coax cable - cinemaquest vdm2 (if my memory serves me) it was in the discontinued bin at my local dealer for 30% off so I got it for around $115. I also happened to stumble on a cd that I already had that is HDCD, it sounds good. But to clarify my previous complaints, the softer less layered songs (norah jones, miles davis, other softer songs on my cds) definitely sound more detailed and clear. My concern is the lack of gusto on the rock songs. And any music at low volumes seems to lack clarity. If I do decide to go for a different rotel combination I'm wondering what would be best for my ears' notion of good music(1056 with 1080 stereo amp / 1067 / seperates). I'd like clarity for the softer songs, but some attitude for the harder stuff. I'm up for any suggestions, from recommended tester cds and dvds to different brands. I'm not happy with my local dealer, they have a non-negotiable 7 day return policy and I'd like to know if this is the brand for me. They told me there is about a 100 hour break-in period, I said that 7 days doesn't seem reasonable for that long of a break-in period. They then told me that customers usually will take home a broken in demo unit to see how it fits their system and then decide. Well I was never offered that option, on any rotel product, maybe because I'm in my lower 20s and they assume I don't have money, but I also had to order the 1056 without hearing it. So considering the circumstances maybe there could be an exception on this return policy... Nope. I'm very unhappy with Seattle's Definitive Audio. I'm really trying to give this brand a shot but I may have to return it prematurely. But wow, aren't they nice to offer a 30 day exchange for another one of their products. Whew, sorry for the rant, I'm just annoyed.

Chuck!

Buddy.....I wish I was your neighbour...I`d be there in a flash.....You need cables with copper and some silver in it to Brighten up your sound and give you the punch you need but we are gonna go off topic here and Jason will be on me like Kung on Fu ops:

The 1056 has the processor from the higher end Rotels by the way and you could use this puppy as a pre pro....I still say bud it is not the Rotel the problem it is that you are hearing the weakest link in your system....It took me a while to grasp that.....but the differences are so rewarding it is unreal...

The ONLY reason I would bring back the 1056 in exchange for a 1067 if I were you would be if One you want to do a 7 channel and don`t want to buy or have an 2 channel amp.....or you find that the 1056 doesn`t have enough power and that would only be, cause of very inneffecient speakers....you could always plug up a 5 channel amp.....The Pre being 1056 and then into a beasty 5 channel.....but again....you will here the weakest link even more in your system...

All and all my friend sounds to me like you need some tweaking....Are there no audiophile friends for you in the area with cables and sources and all the stuff ?

Hope I am helping you out here buddy....

keep me in touch!
                                                  Last edited by Bam!; 28 April 2004, 07:41 Wednesday.

Comment

• Tha Freak
                                                    • Jul 2003

Are you guys deaf???

My RSX-1055 is QUITE loud at around 50 for music, and I rarely go above 40 for movies watching!???

I haven't setted mine with a SPL...

BAM!, do you have a SPL meter??

If I get the trade-in for a 1056, maybe I can borrow it from you! :W

An You do know that I LOVE Scotch! :lol:
                                                    - - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?

Comment

• Bam!
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Tha Freak
                                                      Are you guys deaf???

My RSX-1055 is QUITE loud at around 50 for music, and I rarely go above 40 for movies watching!???

I haven't setted mine with a SPL...

BAM!, do you have a SPL meter??

If I get the trade-in for a 1056, maybe I can borrow it from you! :W

An You do know that I LOVE Scotch! :lol:

Frank!

Yes I have an SPL meter and AVIA dvd to calibrate with....

Scotch! if you guys like scvotch check out Jason's thread on Scotch! :lol:

(I'm getting a head rush again..... :lol: )

Comment

• Chuck
                                                        • Apr 2004

Ok, well I think the conclusion I've come to is that the music sounds good on well recorded cds, and not so good on poor quality cds. Unfortunately most rock cds don't pay as much attention to clarity, so yes I miss the distortion.

Again, I think it sounds good, but please don't come back with "it can't be the rotel" to this question. Maybe my point is the rotel is too clean for my rock collection. So here are my questions related to the "cons" of the rotel, please advise to get sound that matches my taste from the rotel (a bit more grit).

1) 2channel stereo sounds great, the poorer recordings only sound ok, but still better than the surround sound music settings (see #2)
                                                        2) surround music / cinema does not have as much oomph and clarity as 2channel. I do not have a subwoofer, but my speakers supposedly go down to 30 hz.
                                                        3) more of a rotel specific comment / question, but for movies I turned up the center channel, but this makes the center a bit much for multichannel music. Can these settings be adjusted and kept in memory rather than adjusted everytime?

4) And because it's in this thread about volume, I have a general question of the 1056 and 1067 that applies to me and my question of watts / oomph: If the 1056 and 1067 are played at the same volume are they going to sound exactly the same? or is the 1067 going to have a bit more dynamics to it?

Thanks all for your time. And as a random comment on speaker wire, I read a comparison of high priced speaker wire and then some cheap 14 gauge home depot speaker wire and the home depot stuff was said to actually be impressive. I'll try to find the article again at Barnes & Noble.

Comment

• Tha Freak
                                                          • Jul 2003

4) And because it's in this thread about volume, I have a general question of the 1056 and 1067 that applies to me and my question of watts / oomph: If the 1056 and 1067 are played at the same volume are they going to sound exactly the same? or is the 1067 going to have a bit more dynamics to it?

Thanks all for your time. And as a random comment on speaker wire, I read a comparison of high priced speaker wire and then some cheap 14 gauge home depot speaker wire and the home depot stuff was said to actually be impressive. I'll try to find the article again at Barnes & Noble.
                                                          in the first part, if you mean volume level (# on the knob) yes it will play louder, it has more watts...

For the speaker wires, me and BAM! will be able to give you a good opinion on May 8...we go together to a comparison test of 8 different wires...el-cheapo to quite expensive one...

Ant BTW, the "Dynamic Range" should NOT be engaged..it is for night time movie watching is reduces the booms and all...
                                                          - - - - - - - - - -

Comment

• Bam!
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Tha Freak
                                                            in the first part, if you mean volume level (# on the knob) yes it will play louder, it has more watts...

For the speaker wires, me and BAM! will be able to give you a good opinion on May 8...we go together to a comparison test of 8 different wires...el-cheapo to quite expensive one...

Ant BTW, the "Dynamic Range" should NOT be engaged..it is for night time movie watching is reduces the booms and all...

Tha Freak took the words out of my beak for the cables...when I saw that I ahd to laugh :lol:

I wouldn' t say the 1067 would just play louder....it would have more authority too....

As for your music collection....I know how that feels most of the cd' s I had ended up being used t frisbees for the dog they sounded so bad....

Dynamic range is the the range in between loud scenes and quiet scenes....If you are not listening to it at the required 85db's then set it to minimum that way when it blasts it blasts but when it whispers...you don' t have to set the volume up...!

Tha Freak... :

Comment

• Chuck
                                                              • Apr 2004

I understant that the same "number" volume the 1067 would be louder, but I meant at the actual same volume / dbs would the 67 still have more 'authority' over the dynamics. Would rain drops sound better in movie sound tracks, cymbals on cds, wailing electric guitars... That stuff. Is the wattage only for volume, or is it also for detail? And would I *have* to crank up the 1067 even more to get the music to shine through because of the extra watts. I'm sorry to ask these somewhat amateur questions here, but my dealer is not helpful at all.

Comment

• Bam!
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Jan 2004

Chuck more watts means more authority hence more detail....however 75 vs 100...dunno....

For it to play louder....did you know a 100 watt amp only plays twice as loud as a 10 watt amp....

For a 100 watt amp to play twice as loud it would be 1000 watt :E !!!

I know that is not what you were asking....but since I answered the first part I thought I'd throw that in!

Hope this helps Chucky!

Comment

• Chuck
                                                                  • Apr 2004

wow, I didn't know it was logarithmic. So watts are similar to the richter scale eh? badass.

Comment

• Tha Freak
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Bam!
                                                                    Dynamic range is the the range in between loud scenes and quiet scenes....If you are not listening to it at the required 85db's then set it to minimum that way when it blasts it blasts but when it whispers...you don' t have to set the volume up...!
                                                                    I have to desagree with you on that...

Dynamic deativated (max level) means that the soundtrack is playing like it’s suppose to…

set to medium, it is reduced and the “booms and bangs” are minimized but the vocal and subtle details are not (I think it reduces the dynamic range of the peaks, not sure)

set to minimum it is simply more reduced…
                                                                    - - - - - - - - - -

Comment

• aud19
                                                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Aug 2003

More power = the ability to more easily reproduce both minute and large scale detail. In this case the 1080 will definately help you especially for music.

As for your music collection....I know how that feels most of the cd' s I had ended up being used t frisbees for the dog they sounded so bad....
                                                                      Unfortunately/fortunately this is also all too true. As Bam eluded to earlier, the higher up the quality ladder you climb, the more information is revealed. Good and bad. He also mentioned that the weakest link will cripple your whole system. That includes weak software. Not just components or cables. As such there'll be nothing that will make a bad recording sound good on quality equipment.... I know that's probably not the answer you were looking for but it's the truth. There's a reason so many of us on this forum are in love with DVD-A and SACD as compared to the general public. We have good gear and we're fussy. We want what will sound best on our generally pretty, to very revealing, equipment.

Jason
                                                                      Jason

Comment

Working...
                                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                      Search Result for "|||"