X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kinjite
    • Apr 2004

RMB-1095 or RB-1080 + RB-1070

Hi,

This is my first post on the Rotel forum. Great forum btw!

I am considering a RMB-1095 or a combination of a RB-1080 for my front JMLab Cobalt 820 speakers, a RB-1070 for my Cobalt 806 surrounds and a RB-1070 for my Cobalt CC800 center speaker, with one channel left for a future 6.1 upgrade.

Is this just an overkill or the rught way to go? For the moment I can't find a dealer who can show me the difference :-(

Thanks!
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Here are my quick thoughts, purchase the RMB-1075 for the rears and purchase the RB-1080 to drive the fronts. The rears don't need the dedicated power, but based on your speakers, the fronts could use them.
    Then calibrate your speakers, I believe this will achieve what you need.

If possible you should listen to any combo in your own home environment for a true evaluation.

Hope this helps,

Azeke

Comment

• eelco74
      • Dec 2002

Hi,

I have had the cobalt 816 at home as fronts for demo. But eventually went for the electra 906.

I drive them with a RB-981 and RB-985MKII combination. The 1070 is the successor of the 981.

If I were you, I would go for the 1080 and 1075 combo. Your cobalt 820 deserves a good amp. And it will sound better in stereo this way.

Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
      Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
      Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• kinjite
        • Apr 2004

Thanks for the info, I think I will go find(search) that dealer for some demos :-)

One question, I like the DSP-1098 very much... so I thought I'd buy that too :-) However, I was wondering when the next updated model would arrive... maybe its better to ways a few months, or would that rather be years?

Regs

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2003

kinjite,

My understanding is that while firmware updates to the RSP-1098 for the next while are certain (a good thing), design work on new / upgraded models is still at the planning / thinking / what should we do stage. So given all the normal hardware lead times (usually 12 months from concept to production in Processors / Receivers etc) you would be safe to buy now - we are talking about a product that was only released in July / August 2003 - it has a significant model life ahead of it. If it was my money I'd listen to the RSP-1098 and RSP-1068 very very carefully and make my value for money pick on how much the differences were worth to me. Both are very good - and with a high quality set-up like the one you're concidering, my money would be on the RSP-1098 for that extra edge in transparency and sound stage - especially for stereo. But you'ld need to hear it to know in your mind that the difference was worth the price for you

Geoff

Comment

• Darren M
            • Apr 2004

I don't know - the 1095 is a mighty fine Amp and drives 200 * 5 at the same time. The only upsides I see to the other solution is the possible 6.1 option (of course could buy one 2 channel amp later and have a 7.1 option) and the better stereo sound. If you're using it mostly for home theater, I'd seriously consider the 1095. BTY - regarding the stereo sound - I've found the 1095 to be extremely capable in stereo. I run Klipsch Ref 7 speakers which are very sensitive (102db I believe) and they show any "flaw" in the electronics. I've been very happy with the 1095.

Comment

• dave
              • Aug 2003

I'm inclined to agree with Darren on this one, the stats on the 1095 are very good. A true dedicated stereo amp will yeald more depth and seperation for
              stereo listening, however if the use of your system falls primarily into the
              HT use then I would be more inclined to listen to the 1095 closely. I use mine for both HT & Music and have been very satisfied with the results.
              The best thing to do however is let hearing be your decision maker.

Regards,, Dave..
              Dave...

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"