Other than the power rating, What is the difference between RMB-1095 Vs. RMB-1075?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BKSinAZ
    • Feb 2003

Other than the power rating, What is the difference between RMB-1095 Vs. RMB-1075?

Is there a sound quality difference in music and theater? What else?

I got the money for the RMB-1095 but a better question would be......Imagine you were a sales person and I was interested in one or the other amplifier.....Why should I buy the more expensive one?

Thanks for your assistance
  • ZX 6R
    • Jan 2003

Uhm...well I won't have to imagine too hard. Although we snooty ones prefer the term "audio consultant"...cough..cough Basically the 1095 simply has much more of the positive attributes of the 1075. Probably the most immediate thing you'd notice is much better(lower and tighter) bass. After you had lived with it for a while you'd also notice more open midrange and lot less harsh top end in very unforgiving music/movie passages......On the detrimental side since it is also hungrier it's also gonna show up potential weaknesses in your electrical wiring. We have clients that will have 1095s shut down if they have too many other appliances on in their homes. Also since unfortuneately it will amplify everything better that might also include ac line noise......I think the positives outweigh the negatives by a good margin though. I'd certainly encourage you to go for it if you have appropriate speakers. It will make ANY speakers sound better(regardless of bogus max power ratings on the back of them), it's just a question will it be a good return on investment. In the case of larger bookshelf speakers(eg. B&W DM 602) and above I would say it does, with less I might be more hesitant........ The best reason to get one though is it's just a hell of alot scarier looking!

Comment

• bigkid
      • Feb 2003

Hi BKSinAZ,

I agree with ZX. I have been able to listen to both the 1075 and the 1095 in two adjacent listening rooms with, not the same, but very similar speakers (Sonus Faber and Legend - a local product- 3-ways). The difference is quite stark. The 1075 is a very nice power amp and I am sure I could be very happy with it (if I hadn't heard the 1095). However, the 1095 seemed more effortless, the sound warmer and the tops smoother. Bit like comparing an electric guitar tube amp with a transistor amp if you are into that kind of thing. If I had the extra cash I wouldn't hesitate. That said though you should ring the local distributor for Rotel and find out where you can try out one or other or both of the amps. That is the only way to satisfy yourself in the end.

The 1095 does indeed look meaner. As to the power supply, screw it, sound quality is everthing, throw out the kids' TVs, disable the girlfriend's hairdryer, but do make sure you have enough POWER for your amp!

Regards,

Allan

Comment

• Greg Johnson
        • Jan 2003

I would recommend that if you do end up getting either the 1095 or 1075 amp, you or an electrician install a 20 amp circuit dedicated just for the amp. You will never have to worry about having enough "juice" to run the amp at any volume level. I think it may be one of the best Saturday afternoon tweaks I ever did for my system.

Greg

Comment

• wanderso
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by BKSinAZ
          Is there a sound quality difference in music and theater? What else?

I got the money for the RMB-1095 but a better question would be......Imagine you were a sales person and I was interested in one or the other amplifier.....Why should I buy the more expensive one?

Thanks for your assistance
          1 x 1,500 VA toroidal transformer and eight 10,000 µf British-made Slit Foil capacitors

2 x 1,200 VA toroidal transformer and eight 15,000 µf British-made Slit Foil capacitors

Comment

• Legairre
            • Jan 2002

I would recommend that if you do end up getting either the 1095 or 1075 amp, you or an electrician install a 20 amp circuit dedicated just for the amp. You will never have to worry about having enough "juice" to run the amp at any volume level. I think it may be one of the best Saturday afternoon tweaks I ever did for my system.
            I couldn't have siad it better myself. The very first thing I did was have a dedicated 20 amp circuit installed just for my 1095. No electrical problems what so ever and man does this baby sing.

Oh yeah, it's also one big bad mother. Thats got to count for something. 8)

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
            Radden Home Theater
            "What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
            Radden Home Theater

Comment

• DSGCobra
              • Feb 2003

I have just upgraded to the 1095 from the 1075. With changing nothing in my theater room I can definetly tell the difference. The low and mid range bass response is much much better. The 1095 has the sorta balanced line outs, my 1075 did not. And I agree it is one big mutha, sort of the intimidation factor. Either way both are really good sounding amps but if you have the money go with the 1095 you definetly won't be dissappointed.

RSP-1098
              RMB-1095
              RDV-1080
              Energy C-9
              Energy Vertias V2.0C
              Energy C-3
              Paradigm PS-1200
              Audioquest everything.

Comment

• BKSinAZ
                • Feb 2003

When you say to put a 20 amp curcuit........Do you mean put a 20 amp 'FUSE' in the fuse box? I am electronically challenged

Comment

• BKSinAZ
                  • Feb 2003

Just curious.......are you saying that the PRE/PRO was the same with both amps also?

Comment

• Greg Johnson
                    • Jan 2003

What I mean by a 20 amp circuit is this:
                    You will need a 20 amp circuit breaker installed in a vacant spot in your load center. ( fuse box ) Wiring from there will then go to a new 20 amp recepticle in your listening room. I recommend you get a Hospital grade recepticle as well. A Hospital grade recepticle provides more surface contact to whatever is plugged into it and will work just as well as some 60 dollar boutique recepticles made by companies like PS Audio.
                    If you feel like you are "electronically challenged" please hire an electrician to do this. Electricity can kill you and it will be very hard for you to enjoy your new system if you are dead. Also if you end up doing this I recommend you put in 2 circuits. Then you will have one dedicated for your amp and the other dedicated for all your other equipment. This is what I did. And if you hire somebody to do this it shouldn't add that much to the cost. Most of the cost for this will be labor. Hope this helps.

Greg

Comment

• DSGCobra
                      • Feb 2003

Originally posted by BKSinAZ
                      Just curious.......are you saying that the PRE/PRO was the same with both amps also?
                      Yes, I am still using the RSP-985, waiting patiently for the 1098.

RSP-1098
                      RMB-1095
                      RDV-1080
                      Energy C-9
                      Energy Vertias V2.0C
                      Energy C-3
                      Paradigm PS-1200
                      Audioquest everything.

Comment

• BKSinAZ
                        • Feb 2003

Ok. I understand what your saying now. Thank you.
                        Just one more question. I won't have to RE-WIRE from the fuse box over to the wall receptical........right? If I understand you correctly, I will just need the Curcuit in the fuse box and a new wall outlet where I will be plugging the RMB-1095 into.....right?

thanks

Comment

• BKSinAZ
                          • Feb 2003

Wow......the 1098. I am totally jealous. How much is that in American dollars?

Comment

• Greg Johnson
                            • Jan 2003

No you will have to run new wire for two reasons.
                            First the existing recepticle is tied in with all the other recepticles in the room or on the same circuit. More than likely it is on a 15 amp breaker.
                            Second the existing wire will be of too small of a gauge to handle 20 amps. More than likely it is 14 gauge. That is not rated to handle 20 amps. A fire could ensue from overloading the wire. Remember the movie The Towering Inferno. I ran 10 gauge wire for my circuits.
                            I believe the 1098 is going to be around 3000 or a little less. It sure does look like it's going to be a killer pre/pro though.

Greg

Comment

• BKSinAZ
                              • Feb 2003

Rerun wire from the fuse box over to the opposite side of my home......hmmm, that is not an easy task. Actually it is close to impossibe.

The Rotel amp only draws 10 amps. I got 15 amp curcuit breakers, wiring and receptical. No need to do all that stuff.

Comment

• Kevin D
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Oct 2002

Just curious where you saw the 10amp rating for the amp, as the manual states that max power will most likely be limited by your house's electrical system.. (For the 1095 at least).

Also keep in mind as someone else posted, you 15 amp breaker, wiring, and receptical are connected to all the other 15 amp outlets in that room (and possible runs some of the lights too). If it does only draw 10 amps, the rest of the room will definately be over the remaining 5 amps..

I ran a 30 amp circuit and plug, but I also have two other amps on it too..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Rock Dog
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2003

While were on the topic. (Wall Outlets, etc...) Make sure that your outlets use the screw terminals for the connection, and not the little hole that you push the baer wire into on the back of the recepticle. Too many folks use those little spring clips for the connection becasue they are easy. But they don't realize that you get very little surface connection that way. I've seen guys install a new circuit for their gear, and then push the wire into that little whole. Big NO NO! Kind of defeats the purpose. Wrap the wire around that screw terminal. Much more surface area = much more current flow.

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• newtown
                                    • Mar 2003

I agree with ZX. I have been able to listen to both the 1075 and the 1095 in two adjacent listening rooms with, not the same, but very similar speakers (Sonus Faber and Legend - a local product- 3-ways).
                                    Hi bigkid,
                                    I've got the Legend Kama2 hooked up to a Rotel RSX972. How did the Legends sound with the 1095? I'm thinking to upgrading to separates in the near future.
                                    Cheers
                                    Keith

Comment

• bigkid
                                      • Feb 2003

Hi Keith,

At a guess from your user name we may be neighbours. I am in Stanmore. I have not heard the Kama 2's but very impressed with the Kantu 2's. I heard them when shopping for new speakers for a friend. I think he has the RSX972 also (it has pre-outs doesn't it?). We listened to a lot of speakers. The Kantu's were the pick. We tried them with the 1075, the 1095 and also an integrated Musical Fidelity amp (can't remember the model but about A$5K). Can't recall the processor, probably a higher end Marantz. How did the Kantu's and the 1095 sound? ... Magic!

He brought the Kantu's home and the difference between the 972 and our recollections of the 1075 with these speakers was immediately noticable, as noticable as the difference between the 1075 and the 1095 in the shop (Encel in Melbourne I am afraid). As you step up there is a a quite distinct increase in the solidity of the bass and the highs smooth right out, mids more detailed. Switching down and the bite of the highs is very noticable and the sound stage reduces. The sound is not as big and bold. He has since gone out to get a 1095 to attach to the pre-outs of his 972 - don't know quite how he is going to hide it from his better half, it is a monster.

You should be able to get a 1095 for a test drive, the Elektra Theatre power amp (Len Wallis Audio in Lane Cove) might also be worth a try and run it from the pre out of the very good preamp stage of the 972. You might be very happy with that arrangement. I have just got my RSP1066 after a long wait which I run to a 150watt/ch Elektra Theatre. I am yet to full master this setup, being a relative newbie to HT, but the analog stereo sound is glorious ... all the better for being such good value for money. To get a better pre/power combination you would have to spend around A$4-5K more. There is just nothing much in this price range.

I am again sitting down and listening to CDs, DVD-A's etc, rather than just having music on in the background.

You will really enjoy this upgrade.

If you are looking at Rotel, Basement Hi Fi in the city seem to be very competitive, although not much Rotel in the shop to demo.

Hope this assists. Good luck.

Regards,

Allan

Comment

• newtown
                                        • Mar 2003

At a guess from your user name we may be neighbours. I am in Stanmore. I have not heard the Kama 2's but very impressed with the Kantu 2's.
                                        Howdy neighbour :LOL: ,
                                        the Kantus are an excellent speaker but were a bit out of my budget at the time. I was buying a TV, receiver and speakers all in one hit. Settled for the Kamas which are nearly the same as the Kantus, but with less bass extension and they sound great with the RSX 972 (yes it has pre-outs). From your post it looks like it's time to demo either the 1075 or the 1095.
                                        Cheers
                                        Keith

Comment

• bigkid
                                          • Feb 2003

Keith,

I am sure you won't be disappointed. Luck.

Allan

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"