X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Foxman
    • Jan 2003

Rotel DVD players

I know that Rotel has a new DVD-A player due out next month. Two questions, any Idea how much and 2nd is it a better value in your opinion than say a Pioneer Elite or Denon 3800 . Arent either of these able to play DVD-A as well as SACD?

You just can't fix stupid
    IMO

My Movies
    Bad Pics of my system
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I think the new player is either 799 or 899 and will do DVD-A but not SACD. i don't know about video quality but i'd bet its audio would hold up very well against all but the very best DVD players.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

server :fart: sorry ops:

Comment

• mml7
        • Jun 2002

I'd say that the best value in Progressive Scan DVD players out on the market right now are the Panasonic RP-82/XP-30 and Denon 1600. In terms of video performance, these boxes are hard to beat (esp. for the price)

and
        home theater, high fidelity, high end, amplifiers, receivers, projectors, movies, vcrs, cds, laserdiscs, stereo, surround sound, dolby digital, dts, subwoofer, speakers, reviews, video, audio, dvd, digital audio, tubes, consumer electronics, home entertainment, preamplifiers, processors, cables, TVs, AC line conditioners, velodyne, monitor audio, sunfire, paradigm, meridian, nordost, exact power, redgum, osborn, m&k, mirage, perpetual technologies, anthem, sonic frontiers, htdv, dss

mike

Comment

• Blue-Eyes
          • Dec 2002

If pure looking at the quality, I think the Denon dvd3800 is far more better, but also twice as expensive as the Rotel.

Price/quality, yes the rotel could be better.

Confession: I always adviced people to buy a Denon instead of a Rotel DVD player (especially for the Rotel RDV1080). The prices of the Rotel RDV1080 were skyhigh in Europe (over 2500 euros!!!!!). The denon dvd3800 is better, and 1000 euro's cheaper. But my confession...........: I trade my denon dvd3800 for a Rotel RDV1080 Why? It matched better with my Rotel gear, and a only paid an 400 euro extra, above the 1000 I already payed for the denon. And yes, the quality is a little bit worse, but it looks great!

------------------------------------------------------
          Never drive faster than your Angel can fly!

Comment

• Tornini
            • Feb 2003

I was about to buy a Philips 963SA ($400), but might be willing to wait for the 1060 (it would match my RSP1066 and RMB1075).

What I would like to know is:

1) Does it support progressive pal ?
            2) What kind of dvd-media compatibility will it offer ?

Thanks.

Comment

• Madd
              • Jan 2003

1) Does it support progressive pal ? Progressive Pal? Interlaced Pal
              2) What kind of dvd-media compatibility will it offer ? DVD-A

Never argue with a fool,one may not know the difference!
              Never argue with a fool,one may not know the difference!

Comment

• Tornini
                • Feb 2003

Madd, I live in Barcelona (Spain is a PAL country) and would like my PAL encoded dvd's to be output in pal progressive (625p).
                I know you can hack the philips 963sa to do this (via remote), and was wondering about the 1060.
                I also know the philips can play movies recorded on dvr+r/rw and dvd-r/rw.

Thanks.

Comment

• Blue-Eyes
                  • Dec 2002

For our european friends: Rotel DVD players DO NOT HAVE any scart onboard!!!! We have to use the s-video connectors

Comment

• Tornini
                    • Feb 2003

Blue-Eyes,
                    I was thinking of using a YUV to RGB decoder.

http://www.cypress.com.tw/product.php?PId=59364&CId=007&CName=Video%20Proces sors&SR=1

Anyone tried it or something similar ?

Comment

• ZX 6R
                      • Jan 2003

In terms of hackability traditionally the Rotel players have been pretty weak or at least people in the know have certainly kept secrets pretty well(I believe they are just not very hackable). About the only things previous generations of players have been able to do via remote is reset default region code(*note* I said reset not set). The 985 was somewhat prone to forgetting it's region every once in a while. When a rdv 1080 was dialed in correctly the picture quality was pretty darn good(at least in NTSC) chroma upsampling bug and all. Whiles't I think the reviews on secrets of home theater and Hi-Fi are the best out there they are certainly not perfect. They don't mention and aweful lot about audio performance which is where I think the RDV 1060 would stomp all over an RP-82..........My personal feeling is SACD and DVD-A support with really kick ass bass mngmnt would be great but how about the simple things like a backlit remote and god forbit it actually be intuitive.

Comment

• Tornini
                        • Feb 2003

The european version of the 1060 will have SCART out.
                        Check out the rotel website, the global section is now up and running.

Still no Pal prog though.

Tornini

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"