X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

New Parasound Halo DVD Players

Well, lookie here: I think we just found the first "official" information on Parasound DVD players. It looks like the rumors were true after all!

First, the printed info: The December 2003 issue of DVD Etc has a "DVD Player Buyer's Guide" in the back, that seems to contain some new models by several manufacturers that presumably are about to be released, maybe CES next week.
    Click Here for the DVD Etc website, you can even find a free online magazine with the Parasound information on page 119

I don't know if this was a mistake or not that some of this info was printed at this time. Under "HALO by Parasound", we find two models listed with the following information:
    C1 $5,000
    D2 $2,500
    Disc Capacity: 1
    Outputs DTS from Digital connector: YES
    SACD Decoding: NO
    Dolby Digital Decoding: NO
    DVD Audio Decoding: YES
    CD-R/CD-RW Compatible: YES
    MP3 Playback: YES
    Progressive Scan: YES
    Stereo Analog-Audio Outputs: YES (2)
    Audio Outputs: COAXIAL, TOSLINK, AT&T
    Multi-Channel Analog Outputs: NO
    Video Outputs: COMPOSITE, S-VIDEO, COMPONENT (2)
    RBG, DVI, or IEEE 1394: NO
    Other input/outputs: NO

Now, my take on this: first, I've seen these buyer guides to have several inaccuracies in the past, so I wouldn't take this as gospel for any of this information. (first obvious thing is that the models are likely the D1 and D2, not C1 and D2 as printed since the C1 controller already exists) But it lets us know what kind of ballpark we are looking at. From the prices, it looks like Parasound is generally making models to compete with the big boys--we're talking about going head-to-head in performance with very high-end equipment like Krell, Classe, etc. This could be very exciting--we're possibly looking at reference quality stuff here!

Next, note that the listed features for the two models are exactly the same, even though the "D1" is twice the cost of the D2. This could be attributed to onboard line-doublers or added features not listed like SDI added to the higher cost model. (although other models in the buyer's guide did have SDI listed)

Three important items jump out at me as missing from that features list: SACD capability, Multi-channel analog outputs, and DVI/HDMI. If the D1/2 do not include SACD, they're not going to be universal disc players, which could be a deal-killer for many people looking to include ALL available sound formats. Next, if there are no multi-channel outputs, (i.e. 5.1 analog outputs or so) the players need to have SOME way to pass DVD-Audio. It will not go through digital coax or toslink. Only a stereo DVD-A signal can be passed through the stereo analog audio connections. I don't know much about an AT&T connection, but I would doubt it passes DVD-A. Even if it does, you need something that can decode DVD-A on the other end, which the Halo processors currently can not do. And if there is no DVI/HDMI/SDI, we're not looking at being able to pass a digital video signal all the way to a digital projector.

Since there's two sets of component connections, and the Halo processors have BNC connection inputs, I would guess that at least one set on these DVD players are also BNC connections, which I really like.

Okay, my hopes are up! Now the race is on to see who can find more information for us next. I can't wait to see what Parasound has in store for us!

CHRIS
    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

It's probably wishful thinking, but the next "Secrets" DVD player shootout is supposed to happen at the beginning of February 2004--how great would it be if we could get the new Halo players tested out in this popular shootout?

CHRIS
    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• goldear
      • Aug 2003

We can only hope that some of this information is only preliminary, because at these prices they need to make these full universal players with 5.1 outputs and complete BM. I will say that DVD Etc has made mistakes in the past, and in fact, in this very issue, they mislable some of the features with one of the Sony players I have. CES should give us more details.

Chris B
      Chris B

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

I agree... there's a few things about that listing that lead me to believe we're seeing some inaccuracies and not the whole story.

Goldear, didn't you say that you read somewhere there was firewire on these models? Or was it the same DVD Etc source?

CHRIS
        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• goldear
          • Aug 2003

Chris,

Yeah...it was mentioned in DVD Etc, which I made note of at AVS. The article says it will have 1394, but no mention of DVI/HDMI. At least it says they may be using the Faroudja DCDi video chip. Whatever digital connection they use I hope it means our Halo's are looking at an upgrade

Chris B
          Chris B

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Ah... 1394 would be interesting, as all indications we've seen from Parasound were that firewire would NOT be added to the Halo processors. Firewire can pass SACD and DVD-A, but you would have to upgrade the C1/C2 as well.

Everything that I see of DVD Etc still has December 2003 as the latest issue, including several bookstores and their website. Have you seen the next issue? Is that the one where this article on the Parasound players is? (I'm just trying to sort out the facts to prevent rumors)

CHRIS
            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• goldear
              • Aug 2003

Chris,

The issue is the Jan/Feb 2004 issue...and it's in the DVD buyer's guide section (similar to what you have mentioned with the Dec. issue above). The lack of 5.1 outputs could make sense if they do use the 1394, since as you mention, that can pass DVD-A and SACD. Although, from a marketing standpoint, they'd still be shooting themselves in the foot. That's why I still think these specs aren't complete. It also lists a USB port and an RS-232 connection for upgrades.

Chris B
              Chris B

Comment

• goldear
                • Aug 2003

By the way, I see that some companies like Denon, Sony and Pioneer are suppose to have both iLink/1394 for their digital audio and DVI for their video. From what I gather, 1394 can be used for both, at the same time, if implimented that way. I don't know what Parasound plans on doing...or what's superior (1394 vs DVI vs HDMI), but if you can get great quality with one connection, that would seem to be the way to go. Of course, market forces/companies would have to cooperate which never happens.

Chris B
                Chris B

Comment

• Scarp
                  • Mar 2003

I would like to see the full specs but some of my opinions:

If they leave out multi channel analogue output then the machine is useless for most users. Nearly all pre/pro's or receivers have an analogue multichannel input, so missing one on your player will mean sudden death. It doesn't make any sense even if they plan to put some digital output on it .

In these price ranges DVI has been getting mainstream. If they leave this out, again it means losing out on all other major players.

iLink is so far limited to a few. If they plan to put something on their player they need a hardware upgrade on their C1/C2.

For europe a (RGB capable) Scart connector is a must. If they dont put one on it, they loose most european customers.

For the price of the D1 you can also get players like a Marantz DV8300 of Lexicon RT10, etc. If they want to compete with those players, they need to be multiplayers with DVI output or some other edge.

Players like the Linn Unidisk 2.1 or Krell players are still beyond their reach I think, but maybe they prove me wrong.

$2500 is a serious amount of money, which requires a serious player.

Anyway... lets wait and see. So far its just speculation.

Edit:
                  Found a reference to the players here

Btw... whats this "AT&T" output? Is that SDI?

Comment

• Scarp
                    • Mar 2003

Btw... I still suspect that this is the old information of the original 2 dvd players. But those where retracted and wont be released. The new one, I heard, will be the D3 and will be something different.

Coincidently these two described have the pricing of the original D1 and D2.

So, I suspect the real player will be something different.

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

More specifics here on what Goldear was talking about: I finally got my hands on a January/February 2004 issue of DVD Etc. The specs given are in a little more detail, and a little different than the Dec. 2003 issue. Here we go:

Stand-Alone Progressive Scan DVD Players/DVD Recorders
                      Page 138, "Halo by Parasound"
                      Players listed as "C1 Series" and "D2 Series"
                      Type of Player/Recorder: C1 - Single Play, D2 - Single Play
                      Progressive Scan: C1 - Yes, with Faroudja DCDi, D2 - Yes, with Faroudja DCDi
                      Video D/A Converter: C1 - 12 Bit/54MHz, D2 - 12 Bit/54MHz
                      Audio D/A Converter: C1 - 24 Bit, D2 - 24 Bit
                      Frequency Response: C1 - 192 KHz, D2 - 192 KHz
                      DVD Audio: C1 - Yes, D2 - Yes
                      SACD: C1 - No, D2 - No
                      Dolby Digital Decoder: C1 - No, D2 - No
                      DTS Decoder: C1 - No, D2 - No
                      HDCD Decoder: C1 - Yes, D2 - Yes
                      Digital Output: C1 - 2 Coaxial, 2 Optical, D2 - 1 Coaxial, 2 Optical
                      Audio Output: C1 - 2 pairs, D2 - 2 pairs
                      S-Video Output: C1 - Yes, D2 - Yes
                      Component Output: C1 - 2 sets, D2 - 2 sets
                      DVI and/or 1394: C1 - 1394, D2 - 1394
                      Gold Plated Jacks: C1 - Yes, D2 - Yes
                      Type of Remote: C1 - Learning LCD, D2 - Universal
                      THX Certified: C1 - No, D2 - No
                      Photo Card Slot: C1 - No, D2 - No
                      MP3 and/or WMA Playback: C1 - MP3, D2 - MP3
                      Also Plays: C1 - CD-R/RW, D2 - CD-R/RW
                      Special Features: C1 - USB ports; RS-232; Upgradable, D2 - USB ports; RS-232; Upgradable
                      List Price: C1 - $5,000, D2 - $2,500

Again, my take now:
                      - First, it seems we're still not getting the whole scoop. These may be based still off the old models announced two years ago at CES 2002 that were never produced.
                      - One of the things that makes me think that this is so is the low 54MHz listed on the Video D/A. High-end models like the Denon 5900 right now are carrying 216MHz
                      - Note that the models are still listed as "C1 and D2", whereas they may more likely be the D1, D2, or D3
                      - Only difference listed in the two models are the extra coaxial digital output on the "C1", different remotes, and price
                      - USB ports would be slightly odd

Looks like we need to kick up our heels and start waiting again for the next bit of info. Still no official word from Parasound themselves.

CHRIS
                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Scarp
                        • Mar 2003

This is still based on the old D1/D2 info I think. As far as I know they are working on one player which should be priced in between the D1 and D2.

If you look at the back of the D2 player as announced in 2002, then it will have balanced stereo output. There is a place left open for a DVI output. It has 7.1 multichannel analogue output. BNC video outputs. 12 volt triggers and IR input. Also if you look closely you'll see a panel with screws on it. Maybe a place for the iLink?

The D1 looks even more impressive with balanced multichannel output (uhm.... there is no way to put that in the C1/C2 and I never have seen a pre/pro with multichannel balanced inputs). Two DVI connectors.

Those pics can be seen here: http://www.cinenow.com/us/reportage.php/sid,146/

So, if the new player is a combination of the D1 and D2 as announced in 2002, then it could prove a nice player

Btw, if the new player includes iLink, then I definitly hope they will make that available as an upgrade to the C1/C2. It would be nuts to have it on your player and not being able to use it on your own pre/pro.

Comment

• Ken Smith
                          • Jan 2004

I sent an E-mail to Parasound about 3 days ago asking for info about the dvd players listed in DVD ETC. Today I received a response from Richard Schram, President of Parasound. I was impressed. He stated that the magazine was incorrect and that the info was based on premature announcements made a few years ago. He also said that there is intense development in this category but too early to announce anything yet. He said if I could hold out the wait would be worthwhile.

Ken

Comment

• Scarp
                            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Ken Smith
                            I sent an E-mail to Parasound about 3 days ago asking for info about the dvd players listed in DVD ETC. Today I received a response from Richard Schram, President of Parasound. I was impressed. He stated that the magazine was incorrect and that the info was based on premature announcements made a few years ago. He also said that there is intense development in this category but too early to announce anything yet. He said if I could hold out the wait would be worthwhile.

Ken
                            Richard often takes time to reply mails from customers. This is a big plus from him and not often seen (i know that the boss of tagmclaren also replies personally).

I already thought that info was based on the old specs. Pictures of those older models (D1 and D2) can be found from any CES2002 show gallery.

Thanks for confirming this Ken

Comment

• P-Stone
                              • Feb 2004

Yep, I also got a mail from Richard Schram. Most impressive.
                              There may be some news later this year that has to do with Parasound and some clever designers in Norway. Stay tuned.
                              I have been looking at the Denon DVD-A11, but I am tempted to wait for the Halo.

P..

Comment

• Jariten
                                • Jun 2000

well..I'll guess I'll continue using my Denon DVD-5000 and Momitsu DV880

^_^lll

Ah well..

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"