X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eagle
    • Feb 2003

For moderator and anyone...

who can give good advise.

I am new to the forum but I have being lurking for sometime. I need some advise because am now to owning power amplifiers. I own the Rotel RB-1090(380w/ch) which I mentioned in a previous post, which I use with the JM Labs cobalt 816 speaker package.

Advise I need are:
    1. Do I need to use a bigger guage cable than the Chord Odyssey which am currently using.

2. Will a bigger guage speaker cable reduce the hum from my speakers further. (Note this particular hum is not audible unless close to the speakers)

3.Should I be looking at better interconnects than the current Van Den Hul D2 III am using between power amp and preamp

4.Will a better AC power cord help again in hum reduction how achieving a reasonable low noise floor

Thank you all in advance.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

1. Do I need to use a bigger guage cable than the Chord Odyssey which am currently using.
    What guage cable are your presently usign and how long a run is it? Chances are no you'll be fine with what you are currently using.

2. Will a bigger guage speaker cable reduce the hum from my speakers further. (Note this particular hum is not audible unless close to the speakers)
    Not unless there's something seriously wrong with the cables you have now See the grounding post in the other thread.

3.Should I be looking at better interconnects than the current Van Den Hul D2 III am using between power amp and preamp
    Interconnects are something you're going to have to try in your own system to see if you like their sound. I can make some recomendations on some good ones to try but ultimately its all about getting a good synergy between you, your amps and your pre amp.

4.Will a better AC power cord help again in hum reduction how achieving a reasonable low noise floor
    Unlikely but not impossible. As I mentioned above its very likely that the hum you have isnt' from the power cords, speaker cables or Interconnects but your video cable or satallite coax cable

Comment

• PeterL
      • Feb 2003

In my (temporary - contract) part of the world, the power quality is not very good and the equipment used to produce a bad hum. Subsequently I purchased Russ Andrews PowerKords which I now use excusively throughout my system (www.russandrews.com and they are in your part of the world) which removed the hum and improved the quality in general.

Peter

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"