X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

1098 prelim PDF

Here's a prelim PDF for the 1098...it doesnt' say much though...

RSP-1098

• Arnold van Oostrum
    • Sep 2002

It's nice. can't wait to see the real specs on this thing.

Comment

• brendan
      • Jan 2003

Andrew do you know if the rsp 1098 will have any firewire connections.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I don't think it will right off the bat but since its card based that might be something they'll add later? (only guessing there I don't know anything you don't)

Comment

• Trekker
          • Jan 2003

Nice info Andrew. Although it doesn't say much more than what was initially mentioned earlier, I like the fact the Rotel Club can get info on future Rotel products. This is the main reason why I registered recently on HTGuide. I have your forum bookmarked at home and work! I would like to thank everyone at the Rotel Club for their help and info provided. My wife has already given me the thumbs-up on the RSP-1098, 1095 & 1080 but I have to wait til summer . I hope Rotel fixes this Double Bass issue.

Arnold

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

To quote "What about Bob", I WANT, I WANT... I NEED, I NEED...

Very interested, but I'm also waiting to hear for sure if bass management has been improved over the 1066.

CHRIS
            Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• hamiltong
              • Feb 2003

Isn't anyone concerned that the RSP1098 does not have an additional, empty card slot? Thus easily enabling additional features.. ie: balanced inputs, balanced outputs, firewire, additional multi-channel inputs, BNC RGB/HV (doubt this will happen - given that analog based video is being put to sleep), or DVI switching, etc...?

Wouldn't it have been convenient to locate the processors (smarts) on a replaceable card as well? Software upgradeablility can only get you so far.

A customer driven configuration example of flexibility would be:

I don't care about composite video (rip it out) but I do want another set of multi-channel inputs. Can I accomplish this with the 1098?

We'll just have to wait and see what Rotel offers.. Any comments on this issue of expandibility/upgradeability? -gregh

NOTE: Upon re-reading the preliminary PDF on the 1098 it would appear that the card cage design is simply for isolation purposes and not upgradeability.. oh well -gh

Comment

• Trekker
                • Jan 2003

Just the fact that the 1098 is card based would make upgrades that much simpler. I too had hoped that the 1098 had balanced outputs like the Anthem. I'm hoping that Rotel will allow some customization i.e. Theta. Then we could decide if we want better DAC's, Balanced outputs, no composite ins/outs...

I just went to my local Rotel dealer and they didn't seem as excited about the 1098 as myself. I was told that they will eventually have a 1098 demo in the future, but they aren't as anxious to get this in their showroom. This is probably due to the fact that the Anthems are doing so well at their store. If I wanted to do an Anthem AVM-20 vs Rotel RSP-1098 shootout, they'll order one when it becomes available so I can decided for myself. This will be interesting.

Comment

• Mats
                  Special Member
                  • Jun 2000

Originally posted by hamiltong
                  Isn't anyone concerned that the RSP1098 does not have an additional, empty card slot?
                  NOTE: Upon re-reading the preliminary PDF on the 1098 it would appear that the card cage design is simply for isolation purposes and not upgradeability.. oh well -gh
                  I don`t think that we have to exspect hardware upgrades.
                  Otherwise they would have mentioned it.

There is no empty slot and I`m dissapointed that there are no balanced outputs as many Rotel Amps are equipped with.

I`m a little bit dissapointed of the machine. The display looks nice but that`s almost all.

Well let`s see how much it will cost and what will be with bassmanagement issues.

Left forum because sold Rotel gear
                  Mats
                  Mats Strömberg
                  Ah! It's a profit deal! Takes the pressure off! Get your weight guessed right here! Only a buck! Actual live weight guessing! Take a chance and win some crap!
                  Navin R Johnson (alias Steve Martin)

Comment

• brendan
                    • Jan 2003

I really hope that the rsp1098 has at least one firewire connection otherwise I feel its out of date before its even released.As far as I know there are not that many new processors about to be released .Rotel could pick up big sales if they offersd this feature now.

Comment

• karlie
                      • Jan 2003

The firewire link would no bring much: it would not let copyright managed audio, nor SACD. Check the reviews of the Denon...

Comment

• AlvaroD
                        • Oct 2002

Denon link and FireWire are different things. The first one is proprietary to Denon and the second one is an industry standard.

The firewire connection on the Pioneer 47ai and 49i is able to pass copyrighted protected content because it's has a strong encryption mechanism called 5C/DTCP. It has been approved by the DVDForum.

You can check this very interesting thread on avs forum :

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"