X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Greg Johnson
    • Jan 2003

Ready to buy 1066

Hello to All,
    First of all, thanks to Andrew for the wealth of info and knowledge brought to this forum.

I am ready to replace my Denon AVR3300 that I've been using as my pre/pro and it looks like the 1066 is right for me. I've lurked here for a few weeks, downloaded and read the the owner's manual. But I have a couple of questions before I go to a dealer to audition.

1) I've gathered here that I would be doing good to get 10% off of list. Are dealers any more willing to "deal" on the black version vs. the silver? Every component in my rack except for my VCR (aka. dust collector) is black and I will be wanting a black 1066 as well. I have to say though that the silver sure is sweet looking.

2) My local dealer is a place called Sound Forum located in Algonquin, Illinois west of Chicago. Has anyone here ever dealt with them. I just would like to know what to expect before I go there Wednesday after work.

3) I've read here that newer units are shipping with the 200MHz component video switching and I think I have the serial #'s to look for. What I'm confused about is the new 1050 remote. Is this something that is happening now or in the near future? Also from looking at the picture of the RR-1050, what are the advantages over the 969.

I put all of my system info in my profile if any one has any questions about the rest of my system. I hope to become a member of the Rotel family soon and thanks in advance for any help on my questions.

Greg Johnson
  • Madd
    • Jan 2003

You should be able to get 15% off list,I did. Black or Silver same price. My dealer does not stock Black because 9 out of 10 people buy Silver. Like me Silver looked more impressive to me but now I want everything else to match. Someone posted about the Serial #s. The 969 remote comes with the RSP 1066.

Never argue with a fool,one may not know the difference!
    Never argue with a fool,one may not know the difference!

Comment

• kendrid
      • Dec 2002

Sound Forum is a great store (I live in Lake in the Hills). They give 10% off without asking. I doubt they will goto 15%. From everything I have read online most dealers are 0% or 10%.

The salespeople are not pushy and are fairly knowledgeable.

The 'other' Rotel dealer in the Chicagoland area is Audio Consultants. They are completely the opposite of Sound Forum. Pushy, rude, and they often won't budge on the price.
      ------
      Kevin

Comment

• Greg Johnson
        • Jan 2003

Thanks for the info guys. I think I can be happy with 10% off. I'm very glad to hear that my local dealer is a good one. I was afraid they were going to be like the second dealer you descibed.
        I will be going there after work tommorrow and will ask about the new remote. I'll post whatever I find out. Still thinking about getting silver. Decisions decisions

Greg

Comment

• kendrid
          • Dec 2002

Let us know how it goes..

------
          Kevin
          ------
          Kevin

Comment

• infinitiqx4
            • Jan 2003

let me know too! I am very interested in finding a good dealer in the Chicago area.

fansler@northwestern.edu

Comment

• Greg Johnson
              • Jan 2003

I Went to Sound Forum last night and Yes they are very easy going and seem to be pretty knowledgable as well. They don't stock any Rotel besides their demos but said it would be only 3 to 4 business days to get what you want. 10% off was the best they would do as well.

I asked about the RR-1050 remote and they didn't know anything about it. The salesman said he would call his rep about it and let me know some details of the differences to the 969.

I didn't pull the trigger on the 1066 last night because I just can't make up my mind. After reading more posts on 1066 vs. 1055 used as a pre/pro, I,m still up in the air on this. Also, I use a Sony TA-P9000ES analog preamp for all my music playback. I am very happy with the sound quality I get with the Sony. So maybe a 1350 dollar pre/pro for television and a couple DVD's a week is a little overkill or extavagant. At least I did decide if I do get it. It just has to be a silver one. Someone please help me make up my mind.

Greg

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Greg just do it...you owe it to yourself

Comment

• Greg Johnson
                  • Jan 2003

You're right but 1066 or 1055. Maybe I'll just flip a coin. :LOL:

Comment

• kendrid
                    • Dec 2002

I'm glad you had a good experience there. We need to keep shops like them around.

I was there on a night when their shipment from Rotel came in. There must have been 10 amps and a few prepros. That seemed like a lot for such a small shop in an 'unknown' town.

------
                    Kevin
                    ------
                    Kevin

Comment

• sndtowne
                      • Jan 2003

Whenever I see the UPS driver pull up with a load of Rotel products, I get the same feeling I got when I was a kid opening Christmas presents. Rotel is really something special. Nothing out there as good for the money.

Bruce
                      Bruce

Comment

• ZX 6R
                        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by sndtowne
                        Whenever I see the UPS driver pull up with a load of Rotel products, I get the same feeling I got when I was a kid opening Christmas presents.
                        The only feeling I get when I see the UPS truck pull up with a
                        stack of Rotel stuff is dread! You ever lift 3 or 4 1090s? *Hint* don't mess with your Rotel dealer. They may look like a mild mannered audio geeks but under their shirts lie rippling muscles forged from many hours of stereobics. :LOL:

Comment

• Greg Johnson
                          • Jan 2003

Sorry to rehash this old topic but I have one more question. Maybe I'm just dense but I can't find the answer in the manual. Haven't pulled the trigger because I'm still waiting for my tax return to be deposited in my account.

If I set the input used for DSS on the 1066 to prologic 2 as default. Will the 1066 switch to Dolby Digital automatically when I switch to a channel that has a DD signal present. If the 1066 does not do that it may just be a deal breaker for me. Even my Denon 3300 will do this with prologic set for this input.

Greg

Comment

• mazuly
                            • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Greg Johnson
                            Sorry to rehash this old topic but I have one more question. Maybe I'm just dense but I can't find the answer in the manual. Haven't pulled the trigger because I'm still waiting for my tax return to be deposited in my account.

If I set the input used for DSS on the 1066 to prologic 2 as default. Will the 1066 switch to Dolby Digital automatically when I switch to a channel that has a DD signal present. If the 1066 does not do that it may just be a deal breaker for me. Even my Denon 3300 will do this with prologic set for this input.

Greg
                            Hi

I don't have a DSS box, but have a cable box. With my cable box, you can choose to send digital audio to 1066 in DD or PCM Stereo. I have setup the box to send DD and have set the 1066 to play it Prologic II, Cinema Mode. Sometime I do get DD 5.1 on cable, and as soon as the program material starts, 1066 will automatically change to DD 5.1. Of course this will not happen if I cable box is set to PCM, in that case I can only get Prologic II, Cinema mode.

What I am saying is that, no matter what DSP you choose on 1066, 1066 will automatically change to DD5.1 if the signal coming to it is DD5.1.

I hope I did not confuse you more, and good luck with you decision.

Maziar

Comment

• Greg Johnson
                              • Jan 2003

Maziar,
                              Thanks for answering my question. I had a feeling the 1066 would change to Dolby Digital automatically but wasn't sure.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"