• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • petrolhead
    • Jan 2003

Some advice

Hello.

My first official post.

I currently own a Denon 3802 and am thinking of upgrading to Rotel. My thoughts were RSP 1066 and RMB 1075. My questions are:

Will I notice a difference between the Rotel and my Denon?

I want to run EX so will need an extra amp to suppliment the 1075.
    Do I:
    A) Get the 1050 for Rear effects or
    B) Using the 1075 for Ctr, Surround and Rear Channels and
    get a 1080 for the front L&R.

Thanks in advance

Peter

• Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

welcome to club rotel! I see you also found our TTP as well lol

Anyway either of those two options would easily best the Denon for music and HT. Do you want to run a second zone elsewhere in the house? If so adding two 5 channel amps and bi amping the mains with a few channels and using the remaining channels to power the second zone can work very nicely (its what I'm doing).

You might also want to consider getting the Rotel 1055 receiver and a 5 channel amp instead. This way you can use the internal amps in the 1055 to power the rear centre and let the 5 channel amp power the rest of the speakers. There's very little sonic difference between the 1055 and the 1066 in real world applications.

Comment

• Madd
      • Jan 2003

The Rotel will blow away the denon! You should notice a huge improvement. 8O You can use your denon to suppliment the Rotel amp to run the EX or ES rear effects. You really do not need to buy another Amp unless you want all Rotel Gear But if you do, I would go to option B. Or you forgot option C get the Rotel RB 1070 to power the fronts and use the RMB 1075 to power the rest. That would be the way I would go. Option C :LOL: Saves some cash.

Never argue with a fool,one may not know the difference!

Comment

• petrolhead
        • Jan 2003

Curious about your Option C Madd.

Why use the 1070 for the front, is this because it is sonically beter than 1075?

Comment

• Madd
          • Jan 2003

It has a little more power (RB 1070)then the RMB 1075. So I would want that power to the fronts. 130 vs 120. :LOL:

Comment

• Smith
            • Jan 2003

I feel the Rotel amplifiers will out perform any Japanese amplifier. I have compared them to the Denon, SonyES, Yamaha. Stout power supply and lower impedance drive. Bottom line, Rotel just sounds better...

Comment

• Danbry39
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Sep 2002

I want to strongly emphasize one thing about the Rotel as opposed to any receiver I've heard, including the Denon. The two channel sound of the Rotel is vastly better than the two channel sound off of any receiver. I haven't heard every receiver in two channel, so there are probably exceptions such as the Rotel 1055, but the change in two channel has dramatically impacted the joys of my home theater. Before, I rarely listened to two channel, playing an occasional CD. Since the addition of my Rotel, along with a couple of other changes, I've switched from 85% total home theater/15% music to 10% home theater/90% music. I just have music playing for hours and hours a day.

Keith
              Keith

Comment

• Ron Reda
                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Danbry39
                The two channel sound of the Rotel is vastly better than the two channel sound off of any receiver.
                I used to be a 85%HT/15% music kinda guy until I got a Musical Fidelity A3 CD player. Then, my tastes changed to 90% music/10% HT. So, as you can tell, I'm way more "into" music than HT right now, so your comment was well-received!

Comment

• JKohn
                  • Jun 2002

Not to knock the Rotel amps, I'm sure they're really nice, but I'm kinda surprised they don't have a serious 7-channel offering. I have my RSP-1066 mated with the Outlaw 770 amp (7x200 8ohm, 7x300 4ohm), and I am very happy with this combination. I went with the Outlaw partly because of it's reputation, and partly because I wanted a single amp for various convenience reasons, instead of 2 separate amps. The 770 seems to offer more bang for the buck than any other amp that I know of.

Jeff Kohn
                  Jeff Kohn
                  http://home.houston.rr.com/jeffkohn

Comment

• Danbry39
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Sep 2002

I used to be a 85%HT/15% music kinda guy until I got a Musical Fidelity A3 CD player. Then, my tastes changed to 90% music/10% HT. So, as you can tell, I'm way more "into" music than HT right now, so your comment was well-received!
                    Isn't it amazing. I know a lot of people say that they hear details they never heard before, which may be true, but it's the sweetness, purity, dynamics, and musicality that mesmorizes me personally. It just sounds so good now that I feel almost distracted by watching DVD's which I would have sworn would never happen. I just listen and say to myself, "Dang, that sounds good."

Keith
                    Keith

Comment

• Madd
                      • Jan 2003

They do not make a 7 channel Amp because 90% people only use 5.1

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                        • Oct 2002

Last summer I went from a Yamaha RX-V3200 to Rotel RSP-1066 + RMB-1095 + RB-1050. I was blown away! I think that going from Denon will have the same impact.

For me, it was the resolution of details. Hearing so much more fine details, like metal rattling, shoes on a specific surface, metAl arrow hitting rock. The Yammie was hiding those. And for music, the Yammie was not even near the Rotel system.

Don't hesitate, make the move, or else you will have to live with the terrible "what if"...
                        To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• JKohn
                          • Jun 2002

They do not make a 7 channel Amp because 90% people only use 5.1
                          I do not think that is true for somebody purchasing a new setup today. Even the cheap receivers have 6.1/7.1 capabilities these days, and I'm pretty sure more than 10% of new customers are considering 6.1/7.1 setups. After all, quite a few people on this board seem to be using the 6.1/7.1 capabilities of the 1066 (I know I am).

I suppose Rotel would say that their line of 2, 3, and 5 channel amps can be used in combination to suit people 6.1/7.1 needs, and that is true. But there are also advantages to a 7 channel amp, and I think that's worth considering when making a purchase.

Jeff Kohn
                          Jeff Kohn
                          http://home.houston.rr.com/jeffkohn

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"