X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RGallo
    • Jan 2003

Questions about Rotel 1055 vs. others

New to HTGuide, thanks for the invite, Andrew.

It seems that this issue has been covered extensively, but I haven't found all the answers yet, so here's a direct request. For a while I have been considering the Marantz 7300 and the Denon 3803 for my new receiver. There are actually more Rotel dealers in my area, so I am now considering the Rotel 1055, as there is more price competition as compared to the other two brands. However, I have a few questions that I hope someone could help me with...

FYI, I plan to match it with Paradigm Studio 60s, Studio CC, Studio 20s and an SVS for music (DVD-A and SACD) 65% and HT (non-HDTV) 35%.

I do know the Rotel has HDCD decoding and don't believe that the others do. The Rotel is also upgradable to 7.1. Also, the Denon has video up conversion and the others do not.

What features do the others have that the 1055 lacks? (I have seen the chart that Bob put together). Are there any bass management issues, DACs, ease of speaker setup, etc that I need to consider? The manuals (particularly Marantz) aren't all that forthcoming with info so any help would be appreciated. Basically, is there any feature that I will regret not having if I go with the Rotel?

I have listened to them all, but no dealer stocks everything so direct comps have been difficult. I also question whether the Marantz will have enough power. I have heard some disparaging remarks about its ability.

If I do go with the Rotel, I know I need to get one with the latest upgrades. At a list of $1300, what type of discount is reasonable to expect. (Will not be getting the receiver and speakers from the same dealer).

Any insights or recommendations are greatly appreciated...

Rob Gallo
    Rob Gallo
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I wouldn't worry about video upconversion unless you really need it since its usually a bad idea (signal quality drops) As for features you'd miss I'm not sure...I do know that the abilty to be upgraded makes the Rotel a safer bet then most (also has a proven history of free upgrades unlike other models)

Comment

• Arnold van Oostrum
      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by RGallo
      FYI, I plan to match it with Paradigm Studio 60s, Studio CC, Studio 20s and an SVS for music (DVD-A and SACD) 65% and HT (non-HDTV) 35%..... Basically, is there any feature that I will regret not having if I go with the Rotel?
      If you're playing with DVD-A then perhaps you will miss the absence of DTS96/24 on the Rotel. And with SACD and DVD-A you will use the multi-channel input. As you probably know there's an bass management issue on with the Rotel.

Looking at the speakers you use (or want to use), neither three of these units would be my advice. I think you'll need to step up one sport higher.
      The Paradigm's are big speakers, their sensitivity is reasonable. The 20s not so sensitive. The speakers need a good powerful amp for control and soundpressure.

So, for Rotel I would recommend you choose the RSP-1066 pro- / pre-amp combined with the RMB-1075 or RMB-1095 poweramp. Best choice, with good controlled power. Only lacking DTS96/24 and a bass management issue.

If that's too expensive for you, I would recommend the RSX-1065, although I understand end of this year this model with be replaced.
      The receiver is also powerful (almost like the RMB-1075), also lacks DTS96/24 and again the bassmanagement issue.

As for Marantz I would recommend the SR-8200 (or SR-9200). Their surround sound is more beautiful than the Rotel's. Their power (especially the SR-9200) is enough for your speakers. They are THX certified and don't have a bass management issue. They also lack DTS96/24.

Denon would not be my choice. Their sound is harsh and thin. The 3803 is not a match for your speakers, the 4802 is better. Denon's have all the latest surround gadgets, so they are the only one with DTS96/24.

Only Rotel and Marantz SR-9200 have HDCD decoding.

My recommendation is for Rotel of Marantz.

Comment

• Madd
        • Jan 2003

As Arnold stated:Looking at the speakers you use (or want to use), neither three of these units would be my advice. I think you'll need to step up one sport higher.
        The Paradigm's are big speakers, their sensitivity is reasonable. The 20s not so sensitive. The speakers need a good powerful amp for control and soundpressure.

These speakers need power! At least get the Rotel RSX 1065 or for a little more the 1066 & 1075 combo. 10-15% discount on the Rotel gear is normal. The RSX 1065 list's at $1999 the Combo at 1066 & 1075 at $2500. I would say you could get the RSX 1065 for $1800 & the Combo for $2100. The choice is yours. :?

Never argue with a fool,one may not know the difference!
        Never argue with a fool,one may not know the difference!

Comment

• RGallo
          • Jan 2003

Thanks to all for the responses! They were extremely helpful. After digesting all of the advice, I have a few more questions. Maybe some more info will help. The HT will initially be in a room that is 11x22x8 and will eventually move into a room that is 14x14x8. Since I have a baby on the way, I am trying to limit my receiver spending to around $1300, and hopefully less. I can always upgrade at a later date.

So far the recomendations that I have received on the following receivers have somewhat negative given my intended speaker choice.

Denon - harsh and thin, but has DTS 96/24
          Marantz - no dts 96/24, lack of power (7300), good sound
          Rotel - no dts 96/24, bass mgt issues, but great sound and is upgradeable

I also have reservations about:

Pioneer Elite - shutdown problems
          NAD - build quality, internal problems
          Yamaha - too bright

1) What will I miss with DVD-A and SACD if I go with a receiver without DTS 96/24. (By the way I thought the Marantz 8200 had DTS 96/24. Am i mistaken?). Is the lack of DTS 96/24 a deal breaker if I plan on listening to a lot of SACD and DVD-A?

2) Is HDCD decoding really worth it? I've heard mixed reviews on whether you need it or not.

3) To throw another wrench in the works, how would your receommendations change if I went with the Mirage 250s, 50s, CC with the SVS? I just heard these (briefly) last night and was impressed. WIll go back for another test this weekend when I have more time. Are the power requirements similar for these speakers, I have heard that they cannot handle as much as the Paradigms.

4) Ultimately question: Is there a receiver (or separates) solution out there for around $1300 that fits with either speaker setup in terms of sound and power and also has DTS 96/24 (if that turns out to be necessary)?

I know the choice is ultimately up to me, however, direct comparisons are difficult in my area since we have only 3 dealers and they all carry different brands.

All help and recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Rob Gallo
          Rob Gallo

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

1) What will I miss with DVD-A and SACD if I go with a receiver without DTS 96/24. (By the way I thought the Marantz 8200 had DTS 96/24. Am i mistaken?). Is the lack of DTS 96/24 a deal breaker if I plan on listening to a lot of SACD and DVD-A?
            I don't see how SACD and DVD-A have anything to do with 96/24 since you'll be using the analog bypass anyway via the multi channel inputs.

2) Is HDCD decoding really worth it? I've heard mixed reviews on whether you need it or not.
            Depends! HDCD cd's sound good even if they aren't been decoded as such and I don't really notice one way or another. Its hard to tell if its making much difference since to hear HDCD you need a digital connection to the Rotel which means you're using its DAC's but using an analog connection means a different DAC which changes the sound so its impossible to say if the change in sound is related to the DAC's or the decoding. That said it doesn't hurt the sound so I say its a good thing (to quote martha)

3) To throw another wrench in the works, how would your receommendations change if I went with the Mirage 250s, 50s, CC with the SVS? I just heard these (briefly) last night and was impressed. WIll go back for another test this weekend when I have more time. Are the power requirements similar for these speakers, I have heard that they cannot handle as much as the Paradigms.

All quality speakers will sound better with quality amps so it won't matter which speakers you choose...within reason. Obviously a speaker thats rated at 96 dB at 1 watt will require much less power then a speaker rated at 86 dB but even there quality amps are quality amps...you just don't have to spend as much on a high power version. It will also depend partly on where you cross the speakers over to the sub...that will likely be around 80 hz though regardless of the speaker for HT applications so that won't matter to much ....for audio though you may opt to run your mains as large which will put more strain on your amps.

4) Ultimately question: Is there a receiver (or separates) solution out there for around $1300 that fits with either speaker setup in terms of sound and power and also has DTS 96/24 (if that turns out to be necessary)?
            Seperates wouldn't be possible at that price point unless you got a sweet deal on a power amp and used a receiver as the pre pro...that's not to say you couldnt' do it though. If you scour Audiogon and ebay you might be able to pick up a used HK PA5800 or sherwood 5 channel amp for under $350 which would leave you about $1K for the pre amp. A used rotel 1066 or 1055 would likely be about that price but they lack the DTS decoding (not a big deal IMO) There might be receivers that can do what you're asking but I'm not up on what's currently out there. One thing to keep in mind though is that if you're looking to add to this system down the road i'd buy one nice component now and add to it later rather then buy two ok products to keep the price down....going with that logic a Rotel 1055 makes a good start. Its a good receiver now and when you add an amp to it later it makes a great pre amp.

Comment

• Arnold van Oostrum
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
              ...going with that logic a Rotel 1055 makes a good start. Its a good receiver now and when you add an amp to it later it makes a great pre amp.
              The same goes for the Marantz SR-7300, which by the way does have DTS96/24 decoding. But that's only usefull for DVD-A disc that also have a DTS96/24 track (i.e. Queen - A Night at the Opera) and possible future DVD-Video's and DTS CD's.

In all answers though I agree with Andrew.

Comment

• RGallo
                • Jan 2003

Thanks again for the help! I will let you know how it goes...

Rob Gallo
                Rob Gallo

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"