X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skullmurdoc
    • Jan 2003

WooHoo I now got my system !

Hello everyone,

I just got my system yesterday 1066/1075 combo, the sound is awesome out of the box. I only have one problem, there is a buzz sound comming out of all 5 speaker when my amp is on. I know it could be cable, but could it be something else. What is the best aproach what should I check first and how. Thanks for any help.

I am so proud to be a Rotel user . I know it would have more quality then my Yamaha, but I didn't think it would be that much. Also the remote is great. I can now have just one remote to control my entire system.

So any input or comment would be appretiate .

Thx

Fred
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

That sounds like a ground issue. Are both the amp and the 1066 plugged into the same power outlets? What about your other gear? Do you have cable or satalite TV? If so are the coax cables properly grounded at some point to the cold water pipes?

Comment

• Foxman
      • Jan 2003

Congrats on the new gear. I am enjoying and still tweeking mine. Anyway, I was wondering what interconnects you were using. I bought the Monster Cable 550 Series cables and they have a special way they run, thats why I was wondering.

You just can't fix stupid
      IMO

My Movies
      Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• skullmurdoc
        • Jan 2003

Thx for your quick reply

Mr. Pratt
        1) Are both the amp and the 1066 plugged into the same power outlets? What about your other gear?

All my gear is plug in a power bar.

2) Do you have cable or satalite TV? If so are the coax cables properly grounded at some point to the cold water pipes?

Ive got satalite TV and it was profesionnally install and he did groud something outside of the house but not from a water pipe.
        So if I just unplug the coax cable I would then see if that's the problem? Im not at home right now but when I get home I will try that.

Mr.foxman
        1) Anyway, I was wondering what interconnects you were using.

My interconnect is Cambridge Atlantic.
        Also what do you mean by they have a special way they run?

Thx

Fred

Comment

• skullmurdoc
          • Jan 2003

Also Mr.Pratt if its indeed because of my Satelite Tv how would I ground the coaxial cable? Is there instruction somewhere ?

Thx a lot.

By the way your home theater seems really nice .

Fred

Comment

• Rock Dog
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2003

I was goin to start a similar thread. But saw this one, and decided to jump on.

MY AMP IS IN!

Finally... Now I can pull the 1066 out of the box, and hook it into the 1095. And then next week my new fancy schmancy cables.

I am so pumped... And it's a longgg weekend.

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• Foxman
              • Jan 2003

skullmurdoc
              Yes skull Andrew's system is a nice one. What I was saying about the cables is this, I know my Monster cable wire runs one direction as indicated by an arrow on the cable. I really don't know that much about the cables but, I wondered if your cables had an arrow indicating the direction that the source was intended to run, if so then it would be worth making sure they are running from the pre amp to the amp with the arrow pointing to the amp.

You just can't fix stupid
              IMO

My Movies
              Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

Guys, awesome! It's arty: time! :B

Lex
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• skullmurdoc
                  • Jan 2003

Originally posted by foxman
                  I wondered if your cables had an arrow indicating the direction that the source was intended to run, if so then it would be worth making sure they are running from the pre amp to the amp with the arrow pointing to the amp.
                  I didn't notice any arrow on my interconnect but Ill double check again when Ill be home later.

Thx for the advice

Fred

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

I bought the Monster Cable 550 Series cables and they have a special way they run, thats why I was wondering
                    There's really nothing special about them its just the shielding. What happens is that the shielding on the cable is only grounded at one end...this should be at the source side which is why you see the arrows pointing away from this ground point.
                    Regardless I highly doubt this is causing the problem you're having so I'd start with the dish. If it goes away when you unplug the coax cable you've obviously found the problem. What you'll need to fix it is a little grounding block that you can find that splits the coax cable in two. There's a place on this block to attach a wire that you need to run to either the cold water pipe or the ground cable from the panel. I'd recomend going to the water pipe rather then the panel ground but both should work.

PS thanks for the compliments on my room...its a labour of love.

Comment

• Rock Dog
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2003

ARGH! It's been 8-15 degree's here for the last several days. I picked up the amp (RMB-1095) last night around 6:00 PM, but my wife is in the hospital, so I left it in the car while going back to be with her until 8:30 PM. I figured, as anxious as I am, I'll bring it in the house and let it sit over night to get it to room temperature and then start setting everything up this morning. (She gets discharged at noon.) I just pulled that behemouth out of the box and it's still really cold. Oh well, I am not firing this thing up, until it's at room temp.

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• wkiesling
                        • Dec 2002

Congrats skullmurdoc,

It should be soon before I choose my system. Was looking to pick-up the same models.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get it for that price? I was quoted $3100.00 which is not bad either!

Although it is likely that I will pickup the Rotel Combo...I was very impressed with the Anthem avm20 and the PVA7 combo as well.
                        Quite a bit more mind you but being "future Proof" it's worth a look now. I got to give it to rotel...their units are damn sexy.

Thanks in advance,

Wolfgang

Comment

• Danbry39
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Sep 2002

Rock Dog,

You're the first one I've heard of trying to improve a power amp cryogenically.

On a serious note: I hope everything is O.K. with your wife.

Keith
                          Keith

Comment

• skullmurdoc
                            • Jan 2003

wkiesling
                            Im sorry but I cant tell you where I bouth it. The dealer is almost loosing money on this bargain.

Sorry

By the way I wasn't able to get rid of the buzz sound comming from my speaker yet. It's not the satelite, because I unplug the coax cable and still hear the sound. Ive been able too reduce it buy depluging and repluging power cord's. But I cant see why its better now. So if anyone as any suggestion on what to do. Please do help me. ops: I need help. I notice that the sound is stronger on my center and my rear channel.

Anyone has a clue what could be the problem.

Thx

Fred

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

unplug everything but the pre amp and the power amp and remove all interconnects from the pre amp. It you still have a ground loop hum its a bigger problem but chances are it won't be there. Assuming you are hum free with nothing plugged into the pre amp start added one device at a time until the hum returns...you then know the culprit.

Comment

• skullmurdoc
                                • Jan 2003

Long process but good idea.

Thx

Fred

Comment

• Bill Melendez
                                  • Dec 2002

skullmurdoc,

I just fixed my hum problem, but mine was caused by the satellite cable. I will offer my solution hoping that someone would benefit from it. The trick in my case was to isolate the ground from the coax cable. Anytime one have two grounds (earth and house), a ground loop is formed, manifested by that fastidious hum. I bought a surge suppresor at Radio Shock that comes with a noise filter and connections for satellite, CATV and phone lines. It does not claim to be a ground isolator, but if it can attenuate spikes, then I figured it must break the ground. I needed an 11 outlet power strip anyways, so it was an easy decision for me. I plugged the sat coax to the power strip and from the strip to the sat box. The hum is gone!! They have 30 day money back guarantee, so you have nothing to loose by trying this. I goes for $40 US.

Be well,

Bill

Since

Comment

• sndtowne
                                    • Jan 2003

>

Here's what I have concluded. Anthem has the best processor (for a LOT more money), and Rotel has the best power amps. The power supply sections in Rotel amps use transformers with higher volt amp ratings than Anthem uses.

However, they are both great brands. Were you aware that Rotel and Anthem tied for first place in the 2003 Inside Track dealer survey of electronic companies?

Bruce
                                    Bruce

Comment

• skullmurdoc
                                      • Jan 2003

Hello guy's,

Just a little word to inform you that I have fix my humming problem.
                                      Its actually quite stupid, My interconnect was sitting ,by accident, on my power bar. I just separate the two and then voila.

Thx for all your advice.

Fred

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

Great to hear it was something simple...and cheap

Comment

Working...
                                        😀
                                        😂
                                        🥰
                                        😘
                                        🤢
                                        😎
                                        😞
                                        😡
                                        👍
                                        👎
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"