digital or analog sound from satalite to 1068?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • malcky
    • Jun 2004

digital or analog sound from satalite to 1068?

I have been experimenting with music channels on sky satalite to see if the optical out was better than the analog in stereo (optical ) or bypass (analog) on the 1068.

On my old processor i was using the optical out only for everything thinking it would be better, Boy was i wrong.

I think the sound it absolutely chalk and cheese between the 2 for stereo music, the analog output for some reason is a little bit louder than the optical so when i was flicking between the 2 i needed to turn volume down a few notches to make it as fair a comparison as possible.

The sound from the optical seems as if it is muffled or compressed compared to the analog, so i then tested the pro logic 2 settings between the 2 and was thinking that surely then the optical would be better for that, wrong again but this time the sound is pretty close (apart from the volume differance again) but still prefered the analog. So from now on i will be listening to sky from the analog outputs for everything unless its a movie in dolby digital of course.

Has anyone else tried this and get the same results?? or if you have not tried it you should, you might be very surprised. would be curious to know.

thanks
    malcky
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

Satellite reciever

I am using an RCA DRD486RH and with DTV the digital is much better than the analog. I have all 3 types of audio outs used and run with the coaxial as it sounds the best.

Comment

• Stevebez
      • Oct 2003

I also assumed the toslink would be the best connection for the SKY+ broadcasts music and movies. Have not fiddled yet by using the analogue but will give it a try!

By the way have you suffered from the "lost ability to record" with the latest SKY software update ?

Rgds Steve.

Comment

• malcky
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Stevebez
        I also assumed the toslink would be the best connection for the SKY+ broadcasts music and movies. Have not fiddled yet by using the analogue but will give it a try!

By the way have you suffered from the "lost ability to record" with the latest SKY software update ?

Rgds Steve.
        Hi mate, i would strongly recommend you try the analog outs from sky+ because i think you will be very suprised as to the differance in clarity over the optical out. I am using the chord optical lead (£40) which gets good reviews in all the usual hifi mags here and compared it with the DNM solid core analog interconnects (also only £40) and was stunned at the differance.

when sky+ came out i hooked up the optical without even comparing the 2 thinking the digital would be miles better, so found out that its not so will only be listeniing to sky through optical when its a dolby digital broadcast.

p.s what other kit do you have.

thanks
        malcky

Comment

• malcky
          • Jun 2004

has anyone else tested the analog outputs from sky or satalite yet?

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2003

Malcky,

I have Aussie Digital Foxtel which seems to use the same (or very similar model) digital satellitte box as Sky (they are made by the same supplier anyway). I've tried analogue and digital and much prefer the digital - especially for surround sound processing. Analog was surprisingly good, but digital was cleaner all round

Could you have a fault box (jitter in the optical conneciton?)

Have you set up the digital connection to outbput both Dolby Digital and MPEG?

Geoff

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"