Would the 1066 pass the THX ultra2 certification?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WallaceBW
    • Jan 2003

Would the 1066 pass the THX ultra2 certification?

Would the 1066 pass the THX ultra2 certification process? If not Why? if yes why wasn't it certified?

Brian
  • suyver
    • Dec 2002

It probably wasn't certified because it costs a LOT of money to get such a certification. I don't know if it would pass the test, but it probably would (if they were willing to pay for it). I'm not at all sure that such sertificates are that objective...

-Freek.

Check out my home theater!
    Check out my home theater!

Comment

• WallaceBW
      • Jan 2003

I was thinking that it would pass also, it's not important to me (just a logo) since I know the quality of the rotel... I was just curious.

Brian

Comment

• Mats
        Special Member
        • Jun 2000

I`m sure it wouldn`t pass.
        THX 2 has a lot of features that require much CPU power that the RSP 1066 does not have as we can see with the distance setup eg

Another thing are the costs of such a certification.

Left forum because sold Rotel gear
        Mats
        Mats Strömberg
        Ah! It's a profit deal! Takes the pressure off! Get your weight guessed right here! Only a buck! Actual live weight guessing! Take a chance and win some crap!
        Navin R Johnson (alias Steve Martin)

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I agree THX isn't just about hardware its also software which I'm sure the rotel in its current form couldn't do...now if its worth paying more for is another question all together

Comment

• WallaceBW
            • Jan 2003

True... but more processing does not better sound make...

Brian

Comment

• Foxman
              • Jan 2003

Correct me if I am wrong, but unless every piece of a system is THX whats the point. So really, Lucas kinda nails this thing, he has his finger in almost every pie. Then of course the price issue. Why would I pay more for a sub that said THX for example?

You just can't fix stupid
              IMO

My Movies
              Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• sndtowne
                • Jan 2003

Wouldn't it be interesting to know how much Lucas gets to "THX Certify" a peice of equipment?

Bruce
                Bruce

Comment

• efarstad
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jun 2001

In my humble opinion...THX certification on equipment is nice...but unless you have a THX certified "ROOM" then having the equipment IS in fact useless...to a point. THX cert will guarantee certain performance "standards" like amps, processing modes, etc...but for the REAL THX performance you'd need not only the equipment but the proper room dimensions..then I haven't even mentioned calibration! So yea, I'd have to agree....Lucas is making a killing...for most folks probably believe THX equipment gives them the hole 9 yards when I think it only gets you about a third of the way there!

My 2 cents...

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                  E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                  E-Cinema

Comment

• Entice
                    • Nov 2002

Interesting topic this...
                    As far as I am aware, Lots of money is spent on receiving the certification. In my opinion, all this achieves in the end is bragging rights...just another thing to whack onto the front of a piece of equipment. In the end, it's not a format, yet some bloke's specification. Does it affect the sound quality? You be the judge. I think that the extra paintwork/adhesive placed onto the front fascia may add weight to the unit, hence creating a more solid, undistorted sound, and an aura of presence... but I digress, and yes, I am kidding.

So, here's the interesting bit. A person of whome I have been in contact with works closely with the cinema business. He works on the soundtracks to movies. I posed the same question to him about THX certification, and he chuckled. What he said was that the only piece of equiopment in a cinema that MUST be THX certified, in order for the whole cinema to achieve THX certification, was...
                    now wait for it...

the crossovers!

From what he said, I inferred that it is not a requirement for each and every individual piece of equipment in a cinema to have THX certification, in order for the cinema to be THX certified...only the crossovers!

Brings a new dimension to it all doesn't it?

By no way am I implying that THX certification is a waste...especially if you are purchasing an individual piece...eg cables. In my opinion it just shows in a quick way what specs it exceeds....

But nope..I wouldnt pay any extra for it!

Comment

• WallaceBW
                      • Jan 2003

As I said.. I agree.. I was just curious. The cert is a nice 'badge of honor' that can prove that the equipment isn't absolute crap. but once you are into the seperates market and research the products as much as I do you realize that it's not really that important.

Brian

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"