X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Madd
    • Jan 2003

1066 questions & thoughts

Well, I am new to Rotel and new to this forum. This looks like the forum to get some knowledge for Rotel gear. My questions are is that I got this unit 1066 with the 1075 on Dec 22 for my Xmas present to myself. Holding down the mute button= V2.2.2 02/09/05. Well, this unit does not decode Dolby Digital EX, I have to go in the setup screen and manually do this. Now I see on Rotels web site there is a software upgrade for this to automatically decode encoded EX disc that was available in April. So my question is why did my dealer not do this upgrade for me before I took the unit home so I have the newest version of the software? I cannot believe this unit does not decode digital EX from the factory but it does decode DTS EX.???They want me to spend $30 for a cable and spend my time to do what should have been done at the factory or at least my dealers place. Had to vent here :twisted: Well, here are my thoughts to this Bass Mangement thing: I think that you should be able to set up each DSP,DPLII Mode and PCM Mode 2CH, 3CH, 5CH, 7CH, that would memorize it so you do not have to go in and change this stuff oncreen each time you want to listen to a different Mode, Digital,DTS, and Stereo modes. You should be able to set it and forget it! It should be memorized. Is that a really hard thing to be put in a processor like this.

Never argue with a fool,one may not know the difference!
  • WallaceBW
    • Jan 2003

You should be glad you can even do firmware upgrades yourself...

most resellers will not proform the upgrades automaticaly... you most likely got the latest stable version from the time it was shipped.

You should see:

for procedures for making the upgrade cable.... you can build your own for under 10 bucks easily...

The upgrade procedure is available here:

The lateset firmware is available from roltel or just ask one of the guys here I don't have it... (I will host it 'www' if someone send's it to me)

Wallacebw

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

wallacebw I fixed your links...in future please use the URL button above when posting links to make sure there's a {url}www.yourlinkgoeshere{/url} around it (only with square brakets)

Anyway as wallace mentioned Rotel would have used the latest firmware that was available when they shipped out your unit so its not their fault. You dealer could have upgraded it for you but to do that they'd have to open the box which may or may not be okay with their clients...that's not to say they shouldn't have a cable on hand to do the upgrade though. That said Rotel will likely release more firmwares for these units so you are going to want an upgrade cable anyway since its easier to flash the firmware while its still in your rack then to unplug it and bring it to the dealer each time.

Wallace gave you some links to my site that has some links on how to build your own cable and the latest versions of the firmwares are there as well...just make sure you use the 2.X version not the 1.4 version.

Comment

• fyonn
        • Nov 2002

Originally posted by Madd
        Holding down the mute button= V2.2.2 02/09/05. Well, this unit does not decode Dolby Digital EX
        hmm.. it would seem odd that you've got a 1066 that doesn;t decode ddex. I thought the old skool ones were long sold out. does the dolby logo on the front actually say "ex" on it?

what it could be is that quite a few dolby digital ex titles aren't flagged as such and so the 1066 doesn't know to engage ex processing. with the dolby digital ex disc playing, try pressing sideways on the remote. I think thats how you kick in ex processing manually. I think I heard somewhere that it doesn;t default to playing ddex for ex titles anyways, so you might have to do it even if the disc is flagged but I think once it's done, it's done and the 1066 remembers it.

otherwise, if you want to do the upgrade, try phoning rotel directly, they sent me a cable for free.

dave

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

oops sorry I meant to comment on the EX issue. i believe you have to set it to EX for the first movie you watch afterwhich it will remember to use that format.

Comment

• Madd
            • Jan 2003

Andrew, you have to use the remote to put it in the DDEX or the onscreen menu. But after you do this then put in a Digital disc without DDEX the DDEX stays on. Now then you have to hit the remote to turn it off again. :roll: This should not be :x Does the new firmware V2.24 take care of this problem? It will automatically decode DTS ES but not the DDEX. Makes no sense :roll: It does not "REMEMBER" the DDEX after that. Have you ever tried this?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I just leave mine in EX mode...if you switch it to DD rotels XS processing will kick in and fill in the rear speaker anyway so I don't worry about it....it always sounds great regardless

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"