• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Al
    • Jan 2003

Rotel Amps w/ Dynaudio

Hi, a first-timer here!

It seems there are more B&W's hooked up to Rotels than
    other speaker brands or at least a favorite.

I would be interested to know how
    Rotel amps ; i.e. RB-1080, RMB-1075, and RB-1070 handle
    the load of either Dynaudios floorstanding Audience and
    Contour series? Will it be an excellent match to Dynaudio's
    sweet, revealing and warm character in audio? And for
    HT (70% of the time)?

How about Rotel powering:
    Polk's Lsi series

Thanks.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The polks use the same tweeter I'm using in my DIY speakers so they should be pretty nice sounding (I'm using warm HK amps)...the Dyn's with Rotels could be a little warm depending on the room but I'd say power isn't going to be a limiting factor.

Comment

• DavidR
      • Jan 2003

Hi from another new member.

I have Dynaudio Audience 'speakers all 'round (72s, 62s, 122c) and my brief experiment with a Rotel RMB-1075 (weekend loan from my dealer) convinced me to buy one.

I've upgraded from a Yamaha DSP-A1 (that now functions as a processor only) and the Rotel really made me view the Dynaudios in a new light. Unfortunately, my new Rotel is sat in its box until my birthday - my wife won't let me have it before :cry:.

I'll update when I have more experience with this combo.

D.

Comment

• Madd
        • Jan 2003

Well, my Rotel gear is powering Paradigm Reference Studios Not B&W!

Never argue with a fool,one may not know the difference!
        Never argue with a fool,one may not know the difference!

Comment

• Al
          • Jan 2003

Hello again!

I have noticed that most Dynaudios seem to be
          powered by more "high-end" and pricier power amps...
          would this be a valid observation :?:

The room I intend to it setup would be a bit bright (wood
          flooring, minimal wall and room furnishings) and so it may
          work fine, maybe?

Like many others, I'm waiting for the 1098 to come out and
          power it up with either an RMB-1095 or -1075 and an RB-1080
          for a 7.1.

As for the speakers, a tough call.... Dynaudio-Audience
          or the Polk's LSi.

:

Comment

• Mark_C.
            • Jan 2003

Dyns are 4-ohm speakers, leading most to believe that they require tremendous amounts of power. The Rotel amps you're asking about, however, should have no problem driving the Dyns.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

The room I intend to it setup would be a bit bright (wood
              flooring, minimal wall and room furnishings) and so it may
              work fine, maybe?
              You might a problem in that room no matter what speaker/amp combo you end up with if you don't do something to tame the reflections and reverb. How flexible are youwife as far as adding a rug here or there to help cut down on the reverb?

I have noticed that most Dynaudios seem to be
              powered by more "high-end" and pricier power amps...
              would this be a valid observation
              Its probably valid but not necessarily for the right reasons. Most people that can afford Dyn's can afford high end amps to go with them. In other words you're not likely going to buy a $$$$$ amp to power $200 speakers since you wouldn't be able to justify it but if you buy expensive speakers you're naturally going to want to spend money on a quality amp. Of course that doesn't mean those expensive speakers really need that high end amp more then a cheaper speaker but you're more likely to hear the benefits of better power on a well designed speaker (notice I didn't say expensive). Lets take some magnepan MMG's for example that are only $550 vs some $3000 Klipshe hersey speakers. Which do you think needs the high power amp more? I'd be willing to bet the maggies would gain more then the klipshe due to the sensitively of the speakers (86dB vs 96dB (give or take a bit)

Now dyns are usually harder to drive given the low ohm ratings so yes a better amp will definatly help drive them better. There's a wide range of power amps out there to choose from but as I mentioned above treating the room will pay off more on a dollar per dollar basis then buying a more expensive amp.

Comment

• Al
                • Jan 2003

Wife is flexible regarding room design and is leaning towards
                the Polk's LSi series for its looks.

Unfortunately, where I live there aren't too many "Hi-Fi" equipment
                to chose from. Because of this I'm somewhat leary on getting
                mismatched systems and also being a newbie to separates.

Thanks Andrew, your insights well taken and helpful.

Comment

• Entice
                  • Nov 2002

..I'd go the Dyn's...
                  After all, I did.

I think that the type of amp that you'll be selecting doesnt bear as much significance as the source that you will be using. Given the neutral to sweet/warm sunding nature of the Dyn's, I would go for a very revealing cd player. Perhaps an Arcam Diva 72, or a Diva 92 if your budget can stretch it. Things like the Rega Planet may appear too warm. I would also go for some very revealing cables. Things that sit very well with the Dyn's are Kimber 8tc...and the benefit is that you won't have to (pay extra to) get bi-wired cable...as you know, Dyn's aren't bi-wireable.

Good luck with the Dyn's..I have Contour series (in 5.1), awaiting delivery/pickup of 1066/1095 combo. (other amps i was looking at were Marantz 8200 - not enough grunt, and denon A1/A11sr - overpriced).

Others that have spoken before me are also correct. The room bears a great significance onto the overall sound of a system. However, it's also the easiest way to "tune" and colour the sound...even post installations. Rugs and tapestries can be added and moved around much easier than swapping amplifiers with a dealer for different ones.

Buy the speakers, buy the amp...then after 1000 hours of burn in using a tuner, BORROW a burnt in CD player and interconnects from your dealer. Keep BORROWING until you are happy with what you get, then buy it new! It's funny that even though these are most likely the least component of your system, they are also the easiest to change, with perhaps the largest most dramatic impact on the sound.

If your anything like me...after auditioning many, many speakers...Once you hear the Dyn's...the search is suddenly over. Trouble is...you may get to hear higher end speakers.... I heard a pair of Dyn Confidence C2's the other day.... I want them! Anyone got a spare pair?

Comment

• Al
                    • Jan 2003

Very good info! Learning a lot from you guys :idea:

Congrats and goodluck on your Rotel and Dyn combo upgrade.

Anyone else with these setup (Rotel and Dyns) willing to share
                    a line or two?

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"