RSX-1055 developed a hum. should I repair or replace?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Armond
    • Dec 2005

RSX-1055 developed a hum. should I repair or replace?

I mainly use this receiver for HT and am very satisfied until it developed a hum from all speakers including SW. Hum appears after the receiver has "warmed" up. Ok at initial start up. I've unplugged everything thinking its a ground loop issue but unfortunately it didnt help.

Will it be worth it to have this repaired or should I look into the 1057 or 1058 with HDMI inputs. also wondering what the difference is between the 1067 vs the 1057 or 1058.

Thanks folks and merry Christmas to all
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Ok......start by un-hooking each wire hooked up to the Rotel one by one until the hum is gone. It is almost certainly a bad wire somewhere. It is unlikely the speaker wires. However, it would not hurt to check them as well if the wire check doesn't work. I assume that your system is hooked up to a grounded, surge protected power bar??
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Armond
      • Dec 2005

had the chance to remove all connections and re install one by one. hum still there..Also tried plugging it to a different circuit. no dice but another symptom came up. Blue light is on but no display..sigh..

Comment

• PowerCommander
        • Dec 2015

Originally posted by Armond
        had the chance to remove all connections and re install one by one. hum still there..Also tried plugging it to a different circuit. no dice but another symptom came up. Blue light is on but no display..sigh..
        Mine is doing the exact same thing! Standby light is on and no display. Only thing seem to work is the stanby LED that's on. Nothing else. My RSX-1057 according to the previous owner had work done by a tech but he wasn't sure what was done. Opened it up and the transformer was the obvious thing I noticed because it wasn't the same part number as the one in the service manual. The transformer on mine is with a part# of 1445945 while the service manual says a part# of 022 T-1097U02.... All of the fuses I checked for continuity and nothing seems obvious as far as burnt components or leaky caps..... Anyone have ideas? Been searching only for quite sometime now and it's a rare occurrence it seems. Mine is doing exact same as yours. Initial symptoms were humming and then one day just won't power on....

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

Sounds like you guys have to decide if it's worth sending it back to Rotel for repair! I'll take a long time (1 month approx) for the repair but it will at least come with a 90 day repair warranty. It will cost approx $300 bucks to fix it.

I had the 1055 awhile back and it crapped out on me. However, mine was still under warranty. They 'apparently' fixed it but when I brought it home after a month with no music or Home theater, it worked for a day and then pooped out on me again. After a certain amount of grumbling they offered me a refurbished 1057 that has worked perfectly since then.

One thing that I do now is that I leave my unit on 24/7. There is a power cost to doing this but I believe that most potential damage to electronics is done during powering up and the cool down that occurs when shutting it down. I may be paranoid but it's worked for me so far!!!

Comment

• Armond
            • Dec 2005

interestingly the 1055 fired up but hum still there. I have a local Rotel service shop close by who charges an initial 75 bucks fee which goes toward the repair bill. shame to let this thing go..it's been really good to me and sounded great..nice to have HDMI inputs though..

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Armond
              interestingly the 1055 fired up but hum still there. I have a local Rotel service shop close by who charges an initial 75 bucks fee which goes toward the repair bill. shame to let this thing go..it's been really good to me and sounded great..nice to have HDMI inputs though..
              It will likely cost you hundreds of dollars to properly fix it. It's a good unit and probably worth it if you like it's sound. Another thing you could do is look for a used unit on Craigslist or Kijiji. Another member just found a 1057 for $250 bucks !

Comment

• Armond
                • Dec 2005

pulled my old Arcam AVR280 from storage...forgot it had HDMI inputs!! will use this for now until I figure out what to do with the Rotel..hopefully it doesnt crap out on me

Comment

• PowerCommander
                  • Dec 2015

Had some time this past weekend so I took a closer look at my defective RSX-1057. This is my first ever Rotel and I never really got to listen to it since from the first day I brought it home it died on me. I don't wanna just toss it since reading some reviews it seems it has potential. Upon taking some readings on the power board 1 I noticed a significant drop in voltage after the "line filter". According the to the schematics I'm suppose to be getting 115V at pin 1 (yellow wire) on CP803. Also 115V at pin 3 (blue wire) on CP803. I moved on to power board 2.... About 98% of the caps on there was either out of tolerance (manual doesn't say tolerance levels so I assumed on 10%) or leaky caps! Looks like I got work on my hands. I haven't even tested the amp and output sections yet. Anyway, my question is: Has anyone here replaced caps on the power board 2 before and what brands are usually recommended? I assume it's just the power board section so it isn't highly critical as with the amp and output sections where higher audio types of caps are recommended?.....

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"