X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TimbaLand
    • Aug 2013

Rsp1572 arc

I finally got Audio return channel to work but now every time I switch on my HT it goes into ARC and I have to press an input button for it to get out of ARC into the chosen input. I find this annoying and I dont think it's supposed to do this.

Any ideas why this is happening? My tv is a samsung 60E550.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

From everything we've seen trying to get ARC to work on ANY receiver/TV combo, this is normal behavior and why we do not use ARC. You have to turn off HDMI control to stop this from happening, but then turning off HDMI control disables ARC... Fun isn't it?

HDMI, CEC, and ARC have been designed from the get-go as TV-centric. HDMI initially only designed for short lengths (who wouldn't have the equipment near the TV, devices only having the ability to talk to one other device), CEC originally not having control of receiver volume (always defaulted to TV volume), ARC assumes if the TV is on, the audio needs to be routed via ARC.

ARC wants all inputs are ran to the TV and CEC only needs to handle power and volume for an outboard receiver. I would HOPE that a future revision of HDMI requires the TV to have each possibly source have ARC enabled or not. IE, HDMI1=no ARC, sources connected to receiver. HDMI2= ARC, Chromecast, SmartTV apps= ARC, etc..

Is there no way to ran an optical or coaxial cable from the TV to the receiver? An optical to coax converter is cheap if you can get a coax to the TV. Speaking of which, don't even get me started on why TV manufactures decided that the standard audio output needs to be optical, the only cable type that you can't field terminate to the proper length, prewire for, or easily send over a CAT5. We're starting to see a lot of TV's with NO audio output at all. Hell, why not? We have ARC right?

Kevin D.

Comment

• TimbaLand
      • Aug 2013

I can run optical but I was hoping there's maybe a setting I'm missing or something that can be done to fix it. The less cables the better

Comment

• Audio_ElF
        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by TimbaLand
        Any ideas why this is happening? My tv is a samsung 60E550.
        It does the same for me with my Samsung Plasma (iirc the same series as yours) and my Arcam AVR.

Not sure if the Rotel works the same but with the Arcam I turned off CEC but can select the "Display" (ARC) input manually.

Comment

• TimbaLand
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Audio_ElF
          It does the same for me with my Samsung Plasma (iirc the same series as yours) and my Arcam AVR.

Not sure if the Rotel works the same but with the Arcam I turned off CEC but can select the "Display" (ARC) input manually.
          So this may be a compatibility issue. I took my processor in today for check up. That tells me they may find nothing wrong. I also asked them to check why the processor is hot on standby. I think this is strange

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"