X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RoMan
    • Jan 2007

Rotel RDD-1580 DAC

Hi everyone,

Anyone see any new reviews on the new Rotel RDD-1580 DAC? I just see stories but not a concrete review. Although I'm not sure what the release date is though so that may explain the reason. Anyways, the specs show a Wolfson WM8740 stereo dac. Is the Wolfson a DAC standard across the board? My Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus uses the same identical Dacs. It would be nice to see a review done on the Rotel DAC and I'm sure it will happen. I'm just wondering if it would sound better than the CA DacMagic Plus.

Anyone who has further info please do share. It would be much appreciated. I'm thinking of getting it in place of my CA DacMagic Plus but opinions are welcome. So far it doesn't have a headphone input or volume but I'm certain Rotel has invested heavily in the sound quality to make up for a headphone jack and volume.

RoMan
  • lastexit
    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by RoMan
    Anyone see any new reviews on the new Rotel RDD-1580 DAC?
    I'm still waiting for it to appear on the Rotel website first.

Comment

• RoMan
      • Jan 2007

haha..good point lastexit..me too. 8)

Comment

• RoMan
        • Jan 2007

Rotel manufactures high end consumer electronics for stereo, home theater and whole house audio systems.

@lastexit- found the link for it. check it out.

RoMan

Comment

• BWLover
          • Jan 2009

I was thinking of buying this and using it with my RCD-1072. It looks like it has the same DAC as the new RCD-1520. How close do you think I would get to the 1520's level of performance if I use the RDD-1580 with an RCD-1072? As always, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using the Tapatalk app
          Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
          Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
          Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
          Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
          Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
          Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
          Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
          Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
          Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
          Playstation 3
          Shaw HD PVR
          Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• PewterTA
            • Nov 2004

To be honest, with it having the same DAC chips as the CA DacMagic Plus, my guess is it's going to have a pretty similar sound (unless Rotel is using them in a completely different way than many before have). So my thought is you'd be doing more of a lateral move (just how do you want it to sound) vs being a more vertical move and really improving on the sound you're getting from the DAC.

The result is going to be more in line for what price they charge for it. The DAC market has really exploded here and they are all starting to fall into categories, the sub $500 level, mid range under $1600, higher end under $5,000, and then the upper $5,000+ range. So it will be very much where Rotel places the model and where it truly can compete.

My guess is it will be good....but how good and to what price they charge, that could be a tricky balancing act.
            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
            -Dan

Comment

• BWLover
              • Jan 2009

Interesting. Thanks for the reply. So what do you think would sound better...

A Rotel RCD-1520 CD

Or

Rotel RCD-1072 CD using Rotel RDD-1580 DAC

Thanks again everyone.

Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
              Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
              Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
              Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
              Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
              Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
              Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
              Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
              Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
              Playstation 3
              Shaw HD PVR
              Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• lastexit
                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by BWLover
                Interesting. Thanks for the reply. So what do you think would sound better...

A Rotel RCD-1520 CD

Or

Rotel RCD-1072 CD using Rotel RDD-1580 DAC

Thanks again everyone.

I'd say RDD-1580 with RCD-1072 transport. The RDD-1580 is unique in that it has a Wolfson 8740 DAC for each channel, whereas the RCD-1520 only has one.

Comment

• RoMan
                  • Jan 2007

Still no reviews from any magazine or personal reviews I see. Wow. It's been out a couple of months now.

Comment

• lastexit
                    • Feb 2011

Still no reviews from any magazine or personal reviews I see. Wow. It's been out a couple of months now.
                    I felt the same way when the RCD-1520 was released in spring 2009. I was very anxious to read about first impressions of the player since it was Rotel's first CD-based offering in several years, but there was very little chatter about it, if any at all, on the web. It wasn't until an AudioReview.com posting in January 2010 which confirmed my belief that it was indeed a 5-star player and a clear improvement on its predecessor. I'd imagine the RDD-1580 will no doubt offer the best digital performance in its price range, but don't be surprised if it takes a while before user reviews come about.

Comment

• RoMan
                      • Jan 2007

That's true lastexit. Thanks for your comment. Just figured this would've been a reviewers delight to get their hands on one to tell us audio aficionados what it's all about..haha..thanks again. I will keep looking for reviews and if I see any will post the link here.

RoMan

Comment

• Patrick Butler
                        • Jan 2014

Hi Guys,

Reviewers have schedules full of products slated for review. The RDD-1580 started shipping in November. A proper review takes time, and those reviewers worth following take time to get their thoughts to press. Stay tuned.

What I can say (keeping in mind that I work for the distributor) is that the RDD-1580 is an awesome value. I've spent many nights up late over the last few weeks loving what I am hearing out of this DAC.

Best,

Patrick Butler

Bowers & Wilkins | Classé Audio | Rotel

That's true lastexit. Thanks for your comment. Just figured this would've been a reviewers delight to get their hands on one to tell us audio aficionados what it's all about..haha..thanks again. I will keep looking for reviews and if I see any will post the link here.

RoMan

Comment

• PewterTA
                          • Nov 2004

Thanks for the info Patrick! Much appreciated. Can't wait for the reviews... would love to hear this in my system!
                          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                          -Dan

Comment

• brandy
                            • Mar 2014

Hi everyone, as you can see I am brand new to this site. I am getting back into listening to music and oh how things have changed since the 70's. I recently purchased ...an Integra 50.5, a Rel 328 sub and a pair of Sonus Faber 2.1 floor standing speakers. I've subscribed to HDTRACKS and am awed by the sound quality.

My question is three fold...1) Will there be an audible difference in sound quality if I purchase the Rotel 1580 DAC and bypass the DAC in my receiver? Will the DAC in my receiver interfere with the Rotel DAC? And lastly do you have any other recommendations based upon what I have to increase my sound quality?

By the way, I am connected with a HDMI cable between my laptop (music server) and my receiver

Comment

• Audio_ElF
                              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by brandy
                              My question is three fold...
                              1) Will there be an audible difference in sound quality if I purchase the Rotel 1580 DAC and bypass the DAC in my receiver?
                              2) Will the DAC in my receiver interfere with the Rotel DAC?
                              3) And lastly do you have any other recommendations based upon what I have to increase my sound quality?

By the way, I am connected with a HDMI cable between my laptop (music server) and my receiver
                              1) there may be a difference in quality, generally speaking the Rotel DAC would (IMO) be superior to your receiver, but this is dependent on many factors moving on to one factor...

2) the main problem is if you are running a 2.1 system for music (as opposed to a pure 2 channel system) the first thing that needs to happen is the analogue input to your receiver (from your DAC) has to be converted to digital. After processing, it then needs to be converted back to analogue which will limit the sound quality possible.

There are a couple of ways around this, first you can select a pure direct mode and run in 2 channels for music. Alternatively if you feel the speakers struggle in pure 2 channel to reproduce the bass you are looking for, you can connect most subs at speaker level - some such as the Rels allow both line level connection for your LFE (.1) as well as at speaker level to reinforce smaller speakers in a stereo system.

3) one option which may offer an improvement in SQ is to use a USB to SPDIF converter such as from Peachtree, BelCanto, Musical Fidelity (and others). This may be superior to the HDMI connection.

Eloise

Comment

• brandy
                                • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Audio_ElF
                                1) there may be a difference in quality, generally speaking the Rotel DAC would (IMO) be superior to your receiver, but this is dependent on many factors moving on to one factor...

2) the main problem is if you are running a 2.1 system for music (as opposed to a pure 2 channel system) the first thing that needs to happen is the analogue input to your receiver (from your DAC) has to be converted to digital. After processing, it then needs to be converted back to analogue which will limit the sound quality possible.

There are a couple of ways around this, first you can select a pure direct mode and run in 2 channels for music. Alternatively if you feel the speakers struggle in pure 2 channel to reproduce the bass you are looking for, you can connect most subs at speaker level - some such as the Rels allow both line level connection for your LFE (.1) as well as at speaker level to reinforce smaller speakers in a stereo system.

3) one option which may offer an improvement in SQ is to use a USB to SPDIF converter such as from Peachtree, BelCanto, Musical Fidelity (and others). This may be superior to the HDMI connection.

Eloise
                                Thanks for your quick response, I do indeed have my REL sub connected both ways so I think that I'll give Pure 2 channel a try with what I already have in place to evaluate the SQ. In the past it seemed that Pure 2 channel was weak in power compared to standard 2 channel Stereo but I never really gave it a chance. If I like it I may purchase the Rotel DAC for a try, the store said I could return it if I didn't hear a difference, t hey were confident that I would

Comment

• Patrick Butler
                                  • Jan 2014

Hi Everyone,

Below is a link to the first "official" review of the RDD-1580. Very positive.

Comment

• RoMan
                                    • Jan 2007

Thanks Patrick for the link to the review. I agree it is a positive review. Let the reviews keep on rolling.. :-)

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"