X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • frasse74
    • May 2004

Wolfson WM8770

Hi All

After some searching i have found that the Parasound 7100 uses Wolfson WM8770 codecs and if the Halo series are made at the same place there should be the same inside the Halo series .
    I aslo saw that some soundcard uses the same chip but Parasound uses more then one on their preamps..
    Then i got a bit confused when i read this text from this site
    hp://amplioaudio.blogspot.com/2006/11/choosing-dac-part-2-narrowing-it-down.html
    "Thanks for the recommendation. I have looked at the Wolfson DACs, but they didn't make our final cut. The one you are recommending is actually a combination DAC and ADC, which is typically called a CODEC (for code/decode). The audio performance of the Wolfson WM8770 is also not at the level of those on our list. The WM8770 SNR is 106dB compared to 120dB and -96dB THD+N vs. -100 to -110dB for the others. We also prefer to use multiple stereo DACs instead of a single multichannel DAC. This will also give us better performance. Wolfson also sells the WM8740, which is their flagship or highest performing DAC. It still doesn't quite measure up to the performance of their competition. Wolfson does have a nice analog volume control chip, which is also much better than the integrated volume control in the WM8770. Our goal is to provide DAC performance on par with most of the relatively expensive dedicated stand alone DACs, so we need to spec fairly high end components."

Can it be so that if you use a single chip you got one result and when you have more you got another or can Parasound has chosen that chip and modified it so it fit them better?

Any ideas

frasse74
  • Peter Nielsen
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

The C1 and C2 uses AKM AK4393 codecs (96kHz A/D, 96kHz D/A, 120dB SNR).
    The 7100 uses Wolfson WM8770 codecs (96kHz A/D, 192kHz D/A, 106dB SNR).

Halo uses the AKM, which has a much better signal to noise ratio (SNR). I believe this answers your question...

Peter

Comment

• frasse74
      • May 2004

Then will my test with my friends Tag Mclaren
      to see with one wo has succeded best with the other components
      if i don´t remember wrong has it the same AK4393 codecs inside

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"