X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TimbaLand
    • Aug 2013

Rotel power amp operating temperature

Hi guys

I have a Rotel RB1090, RMB1095 and RMB1565. It is normal for the 1090 and 1095 to be warm to hot while operating because of them being Class AB. All my amps are in a closed cabinet with improvised ventilation. The 1565 is cool throughout operation due to it being a class D. The 1095 and 1090 feels a bit warm which I find interesting as they are fanless and they are in an enclosed cabinet.

Though this being the case I still would like to know what is the recommended operating temperature on this amps. I want to check the temperature after a long period of playing and check how far well I am within the recommended operating temperature.

Any takers
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

I don't know what the temperature is...never checked, but I know a rule of thumb is if it's uncomfortable to put your hand on it for a say like 30 seconds, it's probably too hot.

My 1090 gets barely warm, now it's sitting out in the open with just a PS3 sitting on top of it., the 1095 definitely gets warmer than the 1090, but never uncomfortable. Best thing to do is listen to something for an hour with the doors closed... then with them open... if there's a huge difference (there will probably be some difference) then when closed they aren't getting enough ventilation.

Only thing with running them too hot is you lose a little life to them, they are overall made to run warm and often don't sound their best until they get warmed up.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

Rotel is pretty specific about the clearances needed for their amps in the manuals. They do not recommend ' stacking' at all. How tightly are they nestled into your cabinet?. Are they stacked in there as well?.
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• TimbaLand
        • Aug 2013

Yes they are specific but one's situation does not always allow the recommended spacing. The recommended spacing is obviously for temperature control but you may be able to get away with spacing in smaller spaces with adequate or no adequate temperature control hence the question on this thread for me and others to know if we are within the optimal temperature

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"