X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stgdz
    • May 2009

how warm do your amps get?

On a whim I decided to check out the temperature level at the top center of the heatsinks, the center base where the fin begins. The case top was taken off to get the best temperature. The amp is in an open air environment and not in a rack.

I recorded an average temperature at the top of the heatsink of all five for channels of an average temperature of 84 degrees, some were higher then 85 and I was curious if this is normal with parasound amps. The temperature was recorded after watching T2 at 0, 15, and 30 minute intervals.

Audioholics had an article stating that the temperature shouldn't go over 85 as electronic components start to degrade.

now with pics

You can see the little red dot at the center of the middle heatsink. That is where I took my thermal readings from.
  • Peter Nielsen
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by stgdz
    I recorded an average temperature at the top of the heatsink of all five for channels of an average temperature of 84 degrees, some were higher then 85 and I was curious if this is normal with parasound amps.
    That's VERY normal. The heatsinks on the A51 will quickly approach 90-95F after idling for a few hours. The heatsinks on the JC-1 easily enter 110-115 degrees in high bias mode! Ouch!

Originally posted by stgdz
    Audioholics had an article stating that the temperature shouldn't go over 85 as electronic components start to degrade.
    That's true for equipment in general. However, these amps where DESIGNED to run hot. No problem.

The problems begin if you put a a preamp, CD-player, etc. in the same rack and let them cook above the amp. This gear is - like audioholics says - not designed to run above 85F. As long as you remember to differentiate between hot running amps and other gear, you're fine. :T

Peter

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"