X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Rotel - Still Sounds Amazing :-)

Hi, I thought I would start this thread just to remind myself that if we get back to basics, Rotel still produces amazing sounds and value for money Pre and main amplifiers and CD players etc.

I still love demonstrating a Rotel CD player to friends an playing the same CD on a DVD player and watching peoples amazement at the difference in sound.

Their amplifiers challenge many high end units at a fraction of the price. Adding a RMB-1575 or similar to the Pre-outs of most Receivers just transforms the sound. Put one on a mid priced Denon and the HT just comes alive. Even old units like the RMB-1075 still run well and will improve the vast majority od HT units in a 5 minute upgrade...

I think the current reality is the technology required to be competitive in modern receivers (internet connectivity, audio processing, 3D processing etc.) requires large scale R&D which Rotel just doesn't have..

So I prefer to celebrate the sound quality, value and reliability of Rotel rather than focus on the things they don't do... Of course I'd like a high end processor with all the fruit from them.. But unless it is done right - there is no point..

So what do others think?
  • lradden
    • Sep 2012

I'd have to agree, I have an RMB-1095 and two RB-1050 amps. They sound amazing and have improved the sound of the pre/pros and receivers I've paired them with over the past 10 years. The only Rotel product I had that didn't sound good was the RSP-1066 pre/pro, but my amps have been nothing short of fantastic in EVERY SINGLE WAY.

I've paired these amps with the following receivers and pre/pros waiting on Rotel to make a really good pre/pro.

2000-2002 Denon ARV-3300 (receiver)
    2002-2005 Rotel RSP-1066 (pre/pro)
    2005-2007 Sherwood P965 (pre/pro)
    2007-2012 Pioneer VSX-92TXH (receiver)
    2012- Anthem MXR300 (receiver)

Sure I complain about Rotel, but it's only because I love their gear and want them to make a pre/pro that makes me stop buying their competitors gear. Too me Rotel amps have fantastic quality and sound that rivals brands costing a lot more.

Like you agree it would be great to have a higher end pre/pro from them, but also like you I say there's no point unless it's done right.

I've had my Rotel amps a long time and I've replaced every single component in my HT several times, but through all these upgrades and years one thing has never changed: Every component is always up for replacement except my Rotel amps, they are here to stay until they stop working.

They're that good. ;x(

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

.............Amen..........
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• hery19
        • Jul 2008

I currently have a RSP-1069 paired with a RMB-1077, would you guys change that combo for let's say a NAD receiver like the T775HD? What would I lose or gain?

Thanks!

Eddie
        TV: Sony XBR-85X850G
        Receiver: Anthem MRX 720
        Amp: Monolith 7X
        Speakers: B&W 702 S2 Fronts, HTM71 S2 center, 706 S2 Surrounds
        Sub: SVS PB 3000
        Conditioner: Panamax M4300-PM
        Bluray: OPPO BDP-93 & Panasonic DP-UB820
        Remote: Harmony One

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Personally, I never thought NAD had the quality of Rotel Eddie. I really think this question might be better served in a thread that is not about the quality of Rotel for doing what it does right.

While I don't have Rotel anymore. I can relate to keeping something because it does the basics right. When I am watching a movie, I don't care about switching, I don't care about the latest sound format, what I care about is, is my system delivering quality to me. Is it what I expect? Most of us can answer that question yes with great gear like Rotel.
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• mjb
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by hery19
            I currently have a RSP-1069 paired with a RMB-1077, would you guys change that combo for let's say a NAD receiver like the T775HD? What would I lose or gain?

Thanks!

Eddie
            You own two outstanding examples of Rotel engineering - you would have to spend a lot to better that combo - for audio quality - in my opinion. Feature wise it's perhaps a different matter.
            - Mike

Main System:
            B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
            Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• hery19
              • Jul 2008

I finally heard a demo of NAD & Anthem receivers I was wondering if I'm missing out, the thing that impresses me is the module upgrades of NAD. But last night I watched Dredd and it reminded me why I bought Rotel and B&W speakers!
              TV: Sony XBR-85X850G
              Receiver: Anthem MRX 720
              Amp: Monolith 7X
              Speakers: B&W 702 S2 Fronts, HTM71 S2 center, 706 S2 Surrounds
              Sub: SVS PB 3000
              Conditioner: Panamax M4300-PM
              Bluray: OPPO BDP-93 & Panasonic DP-UB820
              Remote: Harmony One

Comment

• madmac
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Lex
                Personally, I never thought NAD had the quality of Rotel Eddie. I really think this question might be better served in a thread that is not about the quality of Rotel for doing what it does right.

While I don't have Rotel anymore. I can relate to keeping something because it does the basics right. When I am watching a movie, I don't care about switching, I don't care about the latest sound format, what I care about is, is my system delivering quality to me. Is it what I expect? Most of us can answer that question yes with great gear like Rotel.

Amen......once again!!!
                Dan Madden :T

Comment

• fozzer424
                  • Jan 2010

Agreed! Rotel and B&W have the best engineering.

Comment

• june
                    • Feb 2005

hello all,

i keep getting this upgrade itch but i'm sticking with rotel. amazing sound and i don't want to lose it.
                    i saw a 1095 pre-owned amp and really thing about getting ti
                    June
                    "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• BWLover
                      • Jan 2009

I completely agree. I am 25. My first set up of equipment (when I was 18) was a pioneer a/v receiver and some best buy speakers. A few years later I got a pair of B&W 683's, a Rotel RSX-1058 and RCD-1072. I was planning on going on to complete a 5.1 set up but ended up falling in love with 2CH. I love the simplicity of it. Take the source signal and get it to the speakers and try not to change a thing. So, today, as you can see by my signature below, I have pretty much completed the dream system (Unless I win the lottery of course haha) that I have wanted to build since I first got my 683's. From the power outlet to the speakers, and everything in between, totals around $12000 for audio. (excluding the tv, etc) So, according to the market, I have an "entry level" hi end audio system. And for entry level, I love it! My Rotel gear has given me solid, reliable, and fantastic performance at a fraction of the cost it would be to move up to say, for example, Classe Audio gear. I am absolutely FLOORED at the performance of the mighty & heavy RB-1090! I have dreamed about that amp for years. I used an RB-1080 for a long time. Probably 5 years. The 1090 was discontinued when I got the 1080. And any time it came up used on the internet, it was either out of my price range, or at a time that I just didn't have the money for it. (or it was in black hahaha). But I managed to get one in Oct 2012. And love it. The performance of that baby even at full retail (Canadian was $3000) is just amazing. The way my 683's behave while under its control is nothing short of spectacular. And as for my other Rotel equipment. Love it all. As I said, never had a problem with any piece of Rotel gear I've owned. You just cant pass up the price to performance ratio. And for the majority of us, we cant afford $150000 audio systems. So thanks to Rotel, we can get close to it, be in the game, and not have to take out a second mortgage. Thank you to Aussie for creating this thread!
                      Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
                      Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
                      Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
                      Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                      Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
                      Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
                      Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
                      Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
                      Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
                      Playstation 3
                      Shaw HD PVR
                      Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• PewterTA
                        • Nov 2004

I don't know if you still have your 1080...but if you do the mod to the 1080 (and not to the 1090) you'd probably take the 1080....... Then when you mod the 1090... you really realize how good the amps are!

I've not really had any complaints from my Rotel equipment and it keeps proving to me how good it all sounds when I put higher end equipment into the mix and realize how close my system sounds.

I really don't think I'll ever probably get rid of my Rote Equipment (well as long as it keeps going)... I'll always be able to find a place for it in some aspect, even if my main system evolves into things that are better.
                        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                        -Dan

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"