X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • june
    • Feb 2005

Rsp-106? owners

hello all & happy holidays,

does everyone still love there RSP-106? porcessor or do you feel it's time to upgrade? my 1068 alive & kicking!! I use the 6-channel analog inputs for the new hd surround sounds. every now & again i get an itch for hdmi inputs but can justify going back to a reciever. the rsp 1540 i just way out of my price range. i say if it's not broke don't fix it. how's everyone else doing?
    June
    "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Hi June.

I bought my RSP-1066 used over 6 years ago.
    I works great for the occassional movie, TV & Zone 2 for sending my music throughout the house.

I have no regrets.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Mark_C.
      • Jan 2003

I've used my 1066 for 10 years now. Sure, the multi-inputs aren't the best way to perfect the sound, but I must make compromises as I don't have a grand (or more) handy to buy anything newer. For my purposes, it fits the bill just fine.

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

Agreed!!. HDMI inputs and the hi def sound claimed are over rated. There is nothing wrong with sticking to multi inputs at this time.
        Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Dmantis
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jun 2004

There are many times when I curse HDMI , many actually as I pretty much hate it. It makes me nervous every single Install , I cross my fingers and hold my breath it's going to work.

With that being said , I also love it. One connection and your done. This is a blessing coming from SACD / DVD audio DVD players and running all those cables. I was so nuts I used the 6 channel in for audio and Coax Digital for Movie sound.

When HDMI works , it's great. Not having it today is basically a shame. Yeah I know money is tight right now for just about all of us but it's really nice to upgrade and get the economy moving in some direction , not to mention all the killer gear out there over HDMI. YES you are missing out a bit.

Comment

• wkhanna
            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

We know there is great new gear out there. But not all of us want, need or have the means to posses such technological wonders.

For us, we are V happy with the solid value & reliable performance we have gotten from our 10 series Rotel. In fact, I still have a 9 series 200 watt 2-ch amp that is in daily use. I have no good reason or will to replace it.
            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• ldgibson76
              • Aug 2011

I'm currently using a RSP-1069 SSP and I've been very happy with it's performance and reliability. It haas HDMI inputs but they are legacy v1.1, so while it can accommodate and pass a 1080P signal, when it comes to audio, it can only decode DVD-A codecs. For SACD, I must employ the 5.1 multi-channel inputs. When it comes to blu-ray, my BDP converts the hi-rez signal to LPCM and sends it via HDMI which allows me to experience the high bitrate sound. So the need for a more modern processor, for now, is postponable. Don't get it twisted, I'd love to have a 15 Series processor, mainly for the 3D pass thru and the aesthetics. But like most of us, dropping $1-2K is quite ambitious and currently, very unlikely. Maybe in a year or so, unless I come across a deal too good to pass up. :W
              Last edited by ldgibson76; 29 December 2012, 16:52 Saturday.
              Regards,

ldgibson76
              My Setup
              The 2 Channel Within
              "Chance favors only the prepared mind."
              -Louis Pasteur

"Foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
              -Douglas Adams

Comment

• blk100rr
                • Dec 2007

I had a 1067 since 2004 and just recently replaced it with a Pioneer SC-68. I was very reluctant to change. I ran HDMI straight to the TV via an HDMI switcher and used my OPPO BDP-SE multi-outs, while setting up the PS3 with picture HDMI and sound via the digi optical to the Rotel. I used a Squeezebox to handle the music, using a Harmony remote to handle all the complex switching. BUT now things are sooooo much simpler, the SC-68 is almost limitless in the adjustments for sound and picture. The Ipad/Android control apps, especially Airplay make life for me great. I'm still tweaking the sound to "match" what I was used to, but it's damm close now. I'm glad I upgraded.

Comment

• sarsi
                  • Nov 2004

I am currently using the RSP-1098 (though not 106? but I think they were from the same generation and functionality), I currently used a Marantz UD7006 with the 5.1 output for playback the newer DTS-HD and Dolby True HD codec via 1098 5.1 input. I really like the my 1089/1095 combo but was really tempted to replace the aging 1098 with the Marantz SR7005 (as a pre-amp for 1095, anyway the SR7005 is cheaper alternative here instead of AV7005), upgrading the aging codec and hdmi connection of my 1098.

I am in a dilemma here, as I really love the 1098/1095 combo (both look and a workhorse over the years) but really like the modern simple and seamless connection via 1.4a HDMI that can provides the new movie codecs, multi-channel SACD and ARC for my TV program (or TV internet audio).

Comment

• PewterTA
                    • Nov 2004

For $600 you could add an Emotiva UMC-200 to the mix to get the HDMI and Hi-Res Audio... And if it sounds as good as your Rotel... then you've got a good "jumping" ground.

It's something I've been pondering on my way to the Classe CP-800 from my RSP-1098. Will suck having two components and making them work (well not as hard as one might think)....but it's saving a good $3K over going to the SSP-800 which seems like a WIN in my opinion. Yeah it might not do exactly better than the SSP for movies....but really it's not as critical as music handling which the CP will do.
                    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                    -Dan

Comment

• sarsi
                      • Nov 2004

Same here, the more important part of the setup for me is the music, which is currently handled by my faithful Musical Fidelity setup driving the front speakers. Since I already have the Marantz SR7005 in my family room, I plan to use it to replace RSP1098 as the pre-amp and keep the RMB1095. I will be getting a Marantz NR1603 for the family room, since it is a small room and the speakers are all Dynaudio Audience bookshelves. Look like my setup will be clinging on to "Rotel club" with the last 1095 amplifier :'-(

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"