How many RDC-7 owners are going to trade up?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Minge
    • Feb 2004

How many RDC-7 owners are going to trade up?

So how many of you RDC-7 owners will go to the .1 versions? I for one have just purchased a new projector that had HDMI inputs and I also have a Pioneer Elite universal player that is HDMI. I love how my RDC-7 sounds and I do not know much about Pro Logic 11x and I would guess that is the only audio format that I am truly missing in my arsinal now.

So hense the question, to upgrade to get my video switching and firewire or not?

What are you folks thinking and why?
  • pepar
    • Dec 2002

Evidently, they are not thinking.
    -
    Home theater renovation underway!

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." - William Gibson

"I like the future; I'm in it." - Firesign Theater

Comment

• Steve Goff
      • Feb 2002

Or thinking too hard to answer yet.
      Steve Goff

Comment

• ton1313
        • Mar 2002

I am truely happy with my RDC-7. That being said, I am using it in a 5.1 config & will probably only ever use it in a 5.1 set up. So the future processing features that are over 5.1 are of no value to me. However, I really like the modular aspect, and the ability to upgrade the DAC's or whatever other feature feature you desire.

So, am I going to upgrade? Probably, but it all depends on the offer & how much disposable $$$ I have available.

Comment

• Leslie
          • Sep 2001

I, for one, would be interested in trading up but haven't received any information about doing so yet. Has anyone been told what the upgrade cost or trade-in allowance would be?
          Leslie

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

I am quite happy with my RDC-7 and would not dump it just to get the new card-based architecture of the RDC-7.1. While the potential for digital SACD and video connections has some appeal, for me, that would also require substantial investment in other equipment to take advantage of those connectivity features.

If the new unit has performance on two channel music that is equal to or better than the RDC-7, then I could be interested in a reasonably priced trade-in program. However, if the performance in that area has been degraded in favor of more surround sound bells and whistles, then I really wouldn't care about having the new unit's architecture -- in that case, I'd pass, unless I could keep the old unit too, of course. :>)

So I certainly don't plan to buy a new RDC-7.1 outright. It would take a very reasonably priced trade-in program to entice me to "upgrade" (again assuming that two channel music performance is still first rate). But other than unsubstantiated rumors posted at various sites, I have heard nothing about the possibility of a trade-in program for current RDC-7 owners. Integra Research has not responded to any of my inquiries on this subject, so frankly, I am skeptical of others' reports about feedback on this specific issue (especially when it purportedly "confirms" their theories).

I'll post something in Club Integra as soon as I've heard anything authoritative from Integra Research either via email directly from them (NOT something "quoted' by someone else) or something posted by them on their own web site.

Meanwhile, I'll be interested in reading the impressions of anyone who has actually seen and heard an RDC-7.1 firsthand in a dealer's showroom (not "the dealer has one on order so we know they are real", but actually in hand, connected to other equipment) or even better, set up in their own home.

Burke
            Last edited by Burke Strickland; 02 January 2005, 15:02 Sunday. Reason: correct typos

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Krobar
              • Dec 2004

Burke,

Im likely to order an RDC-7.1 in the next few weeks. The only reason for the delay is I want to see what is announced at CES.

Im afraid my only point of comparison is a Pioneer 49TXI but I will be using RS232 and the majority of the features so I will likely be able to comment well on bugs etc.

There is a previous RDC-7 owner with a boxed 7.1 in his living room on another forum. Hes waiting for house rennovations to finish before setting it up.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                • Sep 2001

Krobar -

I'm looking forward to your report, assuming nothing eclipses the RDC-7.1 at CES. Even if all your other equipment stays the same, I'll be surprised if the Integra Research pre/pro doesn't "knock your socks off" compared to the Pioneer. (Let's hope it doesn't have a lot of operational bugs.)

Meanwhile, I hope the fellow with an RDC-7.1 in a box will drop by here and let us know how it sounds to him once the construction dust clears and he has a chance to set it up and listen to it.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Lyson
                  • Dec 2004

I am also a very happy RDC-7 owner - my interest in the 7.1 will be very similar to Burke's list so I won't reiterate what he said.
                  The key criteria for me:
                  1) Firewire to connect SACD/DVDA
                  2) The trade in program - if there is one!
                  3) The sound quality for music - really priority #1
                  4) DPLII
                  5) HDMI switching if I add a D*Tivo HD PVR as I am already using the sole display DVI connection for my Denon dvd player.

Will be watching for reviews and individual impressions.

Comment

• Krobar
                    • Dec 2004

Couldnt Wait.......

My RDC-7.1 should be with me sometime next week. h:

Comment

• emerson
                      • Sep 2004

man,,, you've got to let us know how it looks, feels,,,smells..(?..=).....,

btw,, did you get in the UK, or was it the swedish dist, that helped you..??

CU

Comment

• Krobar
                        • Dec 2004

Emerson,

I bought it from a dealer in the US. The new .1 IR kit will not be available in Europe until late spring or early summer according to Onkyo.

Comment

• Krobar
                          • Dec 2004

Razvan on AVS has just got his RDC-7.1 up and running. Says it is a smoother sound than the Anthem D1 with a less compressed midrange than the RDC-7. He seems to really like the sound but warns it is quite different to the old RDC-7 and the remote is crap.

Comment

• Lyson
                            • Dec 2004

Krobar:

What city was the dealer you purchased from in? In NH the listed dealer isn't sure he's going to carry the 7.1 ;(

Comment

• Krobar
                              • Dec 2004

I got my RDC-7.1 yesterday

It came from Southern California (Plenty of dealers out there)

This thing is built like a tank, despite what the website says it is actually 21Kg.

Not got a power amp yet so Im using using cheap interconnects to the power amp stereo in on my reciever. It works nicely with I-Link using my Pioneer DV-868 as a source.

Any questions please ask.

Comment

• Minge
                                • Feb 2004

I have a couple of questions.

1. What do you folks think the Audiogon market value is on a gently used RDC-7?

2. Is it my understanding the on screen will no work on the 7.1 with my Pioneer 59AVi?

3. I really enjoy listening to music in the "direct" mode on my RDC-7. I know my 59AVi is on what I consider the bright side and the RDC-7 is a bit on the warm side. With this said, do you 7.1 owners think the 7.1 will be a good fit for me sound wise as I understand the 7.1 sounds is quite different from the 7 and the sound on a whiole is a bit more open? Does that question even make any sense?

Comment

• Krobar
                                  • Dec 2004

Im using a DV-868 (Euro DV-59AVI) with my 7.1. The sound is a very nice balance for my room, the 7.1 is apparently slightly brighter than the 7 but since I use I-Link the brightness of the Pioneer DVD player has no effect.

The OSD through I-Link will not work with the Pioneer. If you use the video outs from the RDC-7.1 you will get OSD (Including from HDMI if you have the module fitted).

Comment

• Steve Goff
                                    • Feb 2002

The manual for the RDC-7.1 is now online and available for download.
                                    Steve Goff

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"