X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BWLover
    • Jan 2009

Rlc-1040

Hi there. Is there any point in buying better power cords for either 1) wall outlet to RLC-1040, and 2)RLC-1040 to any of my rotel gear? (1040 to 1072/1082/1080)

Thank you.
    Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
    Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
    Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
    Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
    Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
    Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
    Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
    Playstation 3
    Shaw HD PVR
    Primacoustic Room Treatments
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by BWLover
    Hi there. Is there any point in buying better power cords for either 1) wall outlet to RLC-1040, and 2)RLC-1040 to any of my rotel gear? (1040 to 1072/1082/1080)

Thank you.
    A short and quick answer to that question is no. There is no point. However, a good power conditioner/ spike protector is a really good idea. Power is power.....if the unit is not getting the required power it will not work. If it is......it will work. It's kinda' like digital cables really. Either the one's and zero's get there and are processed or they don't. :W
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

I beg to differ there's no point... I was one that didn't believe there could be a difference...until I got a decent power cable and there is differences. Now they aren't major night and day differences. It's more just getting a slightly better sound from your equipment.

Now most of this has to do with a better quality copper used than what's in the cheap cables that come with your equipment. Also allowing the electricity to flow as freely as it can.

Honestly I could never really hear any difference in the power cables until I modified my equipment and now if I plug the stock power cable back into the equipment... there's a shimmer my system and realistic sound that seems to go away. That's about the best I can describe it.

The power cables I got were BlackSandsAudio (http://blacksandcable.ca/) Violet Z1s (for less than what's on their site). The owner was really nice and a real pleasure to talk to and really will steer you to what fits your system, not what will make them/him the most money. The build quality is top notch I have to say.

They have been the one purchase that I didn't expect anything from and was happy with the changes and am glad I did take the jump.

I will say that I think it's one of the later things that one should do as most equipment until it all reaches a certain level, you can't tell the differences with.

Of course it's all just opinions and I'm sure people will say that one can't tell any differences... yet everyone that I know and respect their opinions on audio... almost everyone has upgraded their power cables. And none of them are with ultra exotic power cables costing $$$$$.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• BWLover
        • Jan 2009

My issue is if its worth it when you have a power conditioner. Which I do.
        Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
        Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
        Playstation 3
        Shaw HD PVR

Comment

• stuofsci02
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by PewterTA
          I beg to differ there's no point... I was one that didn't believe there could be a difference...until I got a decent power cable and there is differences. Now they aren't major night and day differences. It's more just getting a slightly better sound from your equipment.

Now most of this has to do with a better quality copper used than what's in the cheap cables that come with your equipment. Also allowing the electricity to flow as freely as it can.

Honestly I could never really hear any difference in the power cables until I modified my equipment and now if I plug the stock power cable back into the equipment... there's a shimmer my system and realistic sound that seems to go away. That's about the best I can describe it.

The power cables I got were BlackSandsAudio (http://blacksandcable.ca/) Violet Z1s (for less than what's on their site). The owner was really nice and a real pleasure to talk to and really will steer you to what fits your system, not what will make them/him the most money. The build quality is top notch I have to say.

They have been the one purchase that I didn't expect anything from and was happy with the changes and am glad I did take the jump.

I will say that I think it's one of the later things that one should do as most equipment until it all reaches a certain level, you can't tell the differences with.

Of course it's all just opinions and I'm sure people will say that one can't tell any differences... yet everyone that I know and respect their opinions on audio... almost everyone has upgraded their power cables. And none of them are with ultra exotic power cables costing $$$$$.
          Were the new and stock cables the same gauge?
          Main System:
          B&W 801D
          Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
          Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
          Oppo BDP-105
          Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
          B&W CM7
          Emotiva UMC-1
          Emotiva UPA-2
          Oppo BDP-83SE
          Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• stuofsci02
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by madmac
            A short and quick answer to that question is no. There is no point. However, a good power conditioner/ spike protector is a really good idea. Power is power.....if the unit is not getting the required power it will not work. If it is......it will work. It's kinda' like digital cables really. Either the one's and zero's get there and are processed or they don't. :W
            This is not really true. Power is not power..

For instance 15 amps @ 120V gives you 1800 watts... 30 amps @ 60V also gives you 1800 watts.. The first will power your amp, the second will not..

Now if you use an undersized power cord, aside from risking a fire, you also can cause a voltage drop. What starts as ~120V ends up at less at your amp.. It may end up as 108V which will probably still power your amp, but will not allow the amp to makes its max power and depending on the amp design could cause a bunch of other nasties...

Now in general I do agree that two cords appropriately sized and with good connectors should not sound any different.
            Main System:
            B&W 801D
            Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
            Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
            Oppo BDP-105
            Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
            B&W CM7
            Emotiva UMC-1
            Emotiva UPA-2
            Oppo BDP-83SE
            Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• wkhanna
              Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

My belief, based on actually listening/comparing different power cables in my system & other systems, is yes. They can make a difference. Whether that difference is for the better or not is up to individual preference.

However, he real question is, IMHO, when is the resolution of a system at the point where it is capable of allowing the effects of cables to be easily discernible.
              _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
              ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• stuofsci02
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2009

Originally posted by wkhanna
                My belief, based on actually listening/comparing different power cables in my system & other systems, is yes. They can make a difference.

The real question is, IMHO, when is the resolution of a system at the point where it is capable of allowing the effects of cables to be easily discernible?
                It would be easy to determine this if someone could explain how a "good" power cable improves sound. This is, what does it actually do.

But until now I have never heard any plausible explanation.

Cheers
                Main System:
                B&W 801D
                Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                Oppo BDP-105
                Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                B&W CM7
                Emotiva UMC-1
                Emotiva UPA-2
                Oppo BDP-83SE
                Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• wkhanna
                  • Jan 2006

I have heard/read lots of 'explanations'.
                  I would never know the difference between a plausible one & pure fiction.

Again, I present the argument that because a pink elephant has never been seen proves only that one has not yet been found. It does not prove they do not exist.
                  _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• stuofsci02
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2009

I have heard/read lots of 'explanations'.
                    I would never know the difference between a plausible one & pure fiction.

Again, I present the argument that because a pink elephant has never been seen proves only that one has not yet been found. It does not prove they do not exist.
                    Agreed, but to design a better sounding power cord, it should be assumed that the designer understands what he/she is doing to achieve the better sound. Otherwise the reasoning can only be seen as random.

Do you have any links to explanations? I would love to have a look..
                    Main System:
                    B&W 801D
                    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                    Oppo BDP-105
                    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                    B&W CM7
                    Emotiva UMC-1
                    Emotiva UPA-2
                    Oppo BDP-83SE
                    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• madmac
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by stuofsci02
                      It would be easy to determine this if someone could explain how a "good" power cable improves sound. This is, what does it actually do.

But until now I have never heard any plausible explanation.

Cheers

Exactly!!. :T

Comment

• Kevin D
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Oct 2002

The real answer is yes, no, and maybe. Feel free to continue the spirited discussion, but don't delve into a pissing match. You can't 'prove' it one way or the other, so try to contain it to your experiences (and only if you have them).

Kevin D.

Comment

• stuofsci02
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Kevin D
                          The real answer is yes, no, and maybe. Feel free to continue the spirited discussion, but don't delve into a pissing match. You can't 'prove' it one way or the other, so try to contain it to your experiences (and only if you have them).

Kevin D.
                          Of course :W
                          Main System:
                          B&W 801D
                          Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                          Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                          Oppo BDP-105
                          Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                          B&W CM7
                          Emotiva UMC-1
                          Emotiva UPA-2
                          Oppo BDP-83SE
                          Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• madmac
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2010

Don't get me wrong.....I'm a huge believer in good cables and connections in audio but power is quite another thing. My Rotel amp came with what looks like a very nice, thick, grounded power cable. I can honestly say that the power is getting to the unit and that if I switched it out for a thicker, gold plated power cable that it simply would not make a difference performance wise. I'm just being real and honest here!!.

Comment

• wkhanna
                              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by stuofsci02
                              Do you have any links to explanations? I would love to have a look..
                              The internet is full of them, just like the advertising material from most manufactures.

I have a science & mechanical engineering background, but am not formally trained in electrical or electronic engineering.

For example, Cryogenics is just one of the many ‘Treatments’ being touted to improve the audible quality of materials used in the audio equipment market. I have worked with cryogenically modified materials, but only in the realm of how the mechanical properties are affected. In fact, cryo metals are nothing new. Swiss watch makers of the 19th century would often burry their finest metal ingot in the snow banks of the Alps for months. Once retrieved, they were used to fashion the intricate workings of the rugged timepieces they are so famous for.

And of course, the colder the environment the lower electrical resistance becomes. At absolute Zero, there theoretically is no electrical resistance. Hence the use of liquid nitrogen in some of the earlier generation ‘super computers’. Not V practical to keep your DAC, amp & cables immersed in a vat of LN2 however.

There is also the process of multi-step roll forming/extrusion where a single ingot of metal is drawn into a very long wire step by step. By continually drawing (stretching) the metal into finer & finer diameter the molecules are thought to be elongated. Hence for a fixed length of material, the number of molecules are reduced compared to the original material. Supposedly, the said length will provide less resistance to the electrons flowing from atom to atom since there are few atoms per the given length.

So now I can sell you my hyper-cryo, super exponentially extruded un-obtainium, 12 nine pure copper wire coated with nano-spherical silver-oxide, created in a magnaflux atmosphere power cable.

Sounds good to me.
                              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                                • Jan 2006

My issue is if its worth it when you have a power conditioner. Which I do.
                                Back on topic......

All the systems I have heard aftermarket power cables on also used power conditioners.
                                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
                                  • Nov 2004

I have the APC S15 Power conditioner and battery. I had it way before I got my cables.

With where I put the new cables, Amps, Pre, and CDP... did not put one from the wall to the APC, I have felt they made a difference.

The first thing I noticed was things sound more real. Cymbals were the one thing I noticed, they had a lot longer decay, just like sitting at a drum set and striking a single cymbal and just hearing how long the decay is. My system before the cables, didn't have that. After they did... so I can't point that change to anything else than the cables. Now again... it's not like holy crap the difference...but it's there.

The other thing I noticed was the quickness and power. Before the cables, something like a plucked bass string that's instantly muted. That didn't have the "energy" to it with the stock cables. It seemed more muted and the "attack" to the plucking wasn't as strong.

So I'm guessing, in my theory that is, that the new cables allow the power to reach the equipment more quickly without as much loss through resistance....!?!???? I have no idea.

The new cables are 12AWG... I'm not 100% positive what Rotel packs in their equipment...but I'd say it's similar to 12 - 16AWG....
                                  -Dan

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Nov 2009

The internet is full of them, just like the advertising material from most manufactures.

I have a science & mechanical engineering background, but am not formally trained in electrical or electronic engineering.

For example, Cryogenics is just one of the many ‘Treatments’ being touted to improve the audible quality of materials used in the audio equipment market. I have worked with cryogenically modified materials, but only in the realm of how the mechanical properties are affected. In fact, cryo metals are nothing new. Swiss watch makers of the 19th century would often burry their finest metal ingot in the snow banks of the Alps for months. Once retrieved, they were used to fashion the intricate workings of the rugged timepieces they are so famous for.

And of course, the colder the environment the lower electrical resistance becomes. At absolute Zero, there theoretically is no electrical resistance. Hence the use of liquid nitrogen in some of the earlier generation ‘super computers’. Not V practical to keep your DAC, amp & cables immersed in a vat of LN2 however.

There is also the process of multi-step roll forming/extrusion where a single ingot of metal is drawn into a very long wire step by step. By continually drawing (stretching) the metal into finer & finer diameter the molecules are thought to be elongated. Hence for a fixed length of material, the number of molecules are reduced compared to the original material. Supposedly, the said length will provide less resistance to the electrons flowing from atom to atom since there are few atoms per the given length.

So now I can sell you my hyper-cryo, super exponentially extruded un-obtainium, 12 nine pure copper wire coated with nano-spherical silver-oxide, created in a magnaflux atmosphere power cable.

Sounds good to me.
                                    It is funny since my background is Electrical Engineering and I did at one point work in the cable manufacturing industry. We used the same process to drawing out copper from very thick coils that were 100ft long into cables that were miles long. These cables were large multiconductor cables with up to 5700 conductors and were used in the telecom industry.

This is perhaps why I have a problem with the cable discussion in general, when there is little to no science backing up the idea... In my research I quite often come across explanations that make me roll my eyes..
                                    Main System:
                                    B&W 801D
                                    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                    Oppo BDP-105
                                    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                    B&W CM7
                                    Emotiva UMC-1
                                    Emotiva UPA-2
                                    Oppo BDP-83SE
                                    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by PewterTA
                                      I have the APC S15 Power conditioner and battery. I had it way before I got my cables.

With where I put the new cables, Amps, Pre, and CDP... did not put one from the wall to the APC, I have felt they made a difference.

The first thing I noticed was things sound more real. Cymbals were the one thing I noticed, they had a lot longer decay, just like sitting at a drum set and striking a single cymbal and just hearing how long the decay is. My system before the cables, didn't have that. After they did... so I can't point that change to anything else than the cables. Now again... it's not like holy crap the difference...but it's there.

The other thing I noticed was the quickness and power. Before the cables, something like a plucked bass string that's instantly muted. That didn't have the "energy" to it with the stock cables. It seemed more muted and the "attack" to the plucking wasn't as strong.

So I'm guessing, in my theory that is, that the new cables allow the power to reach the equipment more quickly without as much loss through resistance....!?!???? I have no idea.

The new cables are 12AWG... I'm not 100% positive what Rotel packs in their equipment...but I'd say it's similar to 12 - 16AWG....
                                      Probably it is 14 or 16 gauge with a small likelyhood that it is 18. It should say right on it..
                                      Main System:
                                      B&W 801D
                                      Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                      Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                      Oppo BDP-105
                                      Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                      B&W CM7
                                      Emotiva UMC-1
                                      Emotiva UPA-2
                                      Oppo BDP-83SE
                                      Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• BWLover
                                        • Jan 2009

So is the recommendation for new power cables more from wall outlet to 1040 power conditioner? Or from the 1040 to the cdp/pre/cd?
                                        Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                                        Playstation 3
                                        Shaw HD PVR

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Nov 2009

So is the recommendation for new power cables more from wall outlet to 1040 power conditioner? Or from the 1040 to the cdp/pre/cd?
                                          Not from me...
                                          Main System:
                                          B&W 801D
                                          Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                          Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                          Oppo BDP-105
                                          Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                          B&W CM7
                                          Emotiva UMC-1
                                          Emotiva UPA-2
                                          Oppo BDP-83SE
                                          Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• wkhanna
                                            • Jan 2006

Dan & I feel the best place to start with power cord upgrades is with your source equipment. Pre-apms, DAC’s & CDp’s would be the logical place to start. We have come to this conclusion by way of first-hand experimentation.

as always, JMHO YMMV
                                            Last edited by wkhanna; 28 October 2012, 14:29 Sunday. Reason: posted in wrong thread, silly me....
                                            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
                                              • Nov 2004

:agree:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

stuofsci02, I have to bust the cable out just to verify, it's buried in the closet somewhere...but now you got me wondering, I'll have to go check!

Best thing to do if you're interested is find some place that will give you a return policy... that way once you buy if you don't think it makes any difference you can return it.

I still think it goes to the fact that most after market cables (for just about anything) are of a higher build quality (better products all around) and what comes with most equipment and that's what helps make a difference. Whether it's noticeable or not depends on tons of other factors.
                                              -Dan

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"