X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

This is good too BWLover...

Humans are fragile. Our bodies are easily mutilated by our own creations: Crushed, mulched, zipped. But physical force is weak and inefficient compared to good old electrocution, which, according to MythBusters' Adam Savage, doesn't kill you the way you think it does.

Basically it's not about the watts, it's about the amps... amps will kill you very easily.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• BWLover
      • Jan 2009

PewterTA, what do the guys at high end stereo shops say when you tell them about your mods to RB-1090's? Are they for it or against it?

Sent from my iPhone using the Tapatalk app
      Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
      Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
      Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
      Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
      Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
      Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
      Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
      Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
      Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
      Playstation 3
      Shaw HD PVR
      Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

Another GOOD change to the amp, I put the Deoxit (normal red) on all the fuses in the amps and CDP. It make a very nice improvement as well. I wish I had done this when I did all the modifications in the first place. I guess I just wasn't thinking.

Basically two things. One... very neat and honestly not surprised that I was able to get improvements, they have all come at it from a "it's not completely built for sound, but more for repair and convenience" in that regard. So they think it's neat that I'm willing to mess around and take the chance. On the other hand of course being a stereo shop... they agree one should never open up the equipment. But they all do know that I have no warranty on them...so why not go for it. And I haven't looked back since. I honestly don't think you could pay me to go back to the way everything sounded for most of their lives in my system (even with keeping the better speakers).

And actually now with the 802Dis I find that I am now more easily able to tell slight changes in things. So it works out well in the long run.

As long as one, I feel, takes the responsibility that you could break it and cost you lots of money to fix it... as long as you assume the risk... the outcome can be well worth it. If I owned a shop, I'd come at it from two angles. I won't warranty something I know you've messed with..... however, if I have an experienced repair person... I'll work with you to get it fixed at a reduced cost.... Sort of "on the side job" type of thing. However, one would have to be careful with doing that as most manufacturers will not like someone selling equipment doing that. So it'd have to be hush hush. ha ha. Course the nice thing is here in Pittsburgh, PA we have an EXCELLENT repair shop... so just take your stuff there if you screw things up. That's what I did with my 1090 when it took a surge and I repaired part of it myself, however couldn't figure out what else was causing problems for me....so instead of sending it to Rotel and paying probably about $400 - $500 with shipping for repair, I paid $110 and gave them $50 for doing it in a couple days (when they were swamped)... so I'll take that any day!
        -Dan

Comment

• BWLover
          • Jan 2009

Wow. Very nice. Your using your 1090 to power 802di's? I am planning on getting a pair of them and was hoping the 1090 would be up for the job of powering those beauties.

Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
          Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
          Playstation 3
          Shaw HD PVR

Comment

• PewterTA
            • Nov 2004

It has noooooooooooooo problem. Are there better amps out there. Yep. No doubt.... But it's going to be a lot more to really amount to a lot better. It's more if you'd want to change the sound, so like MAC to make the sound warmer. Honestly, the Classe CA-M600 is about the only jump up I'd think about doing...and that's a big jump.

If you ever decide to do the mods to the 1090 I have a nice write to follow if you're good with soldering. It definitely makes the amp close the gap between the better and bigger boys.
            -Dan

Comment

• BWLover
              • Jan 2009

I feel the same way about upgrading. When I do upgrade, it would be to CA-M600's. However, I may buy another 1090 to bi-amp the 802's.

Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
              Playstation 3
              Shaw HD PVR

Comment

• PewterTA
                • Nov 2004

That's actually not a bad idea pushing 384 to the woofers and 384 to the mid/high. Should sound very good that way!!!
                -Dan

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"