X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • specialized
    • Apr 2008

Marantz AV7005 vs Onkyo SC5509

Hi there.. In my living room i have my Main setup which is based on:

Speakers: B&W 803s as mains, HTM3S Centar and 805s as rears.

AMP for the fronts: Krell FPB-300C

AMP for the centar: Rotel RB-1080 (im biamping )

AMP for rears: Rotel RB-1080

For stereo listening im using Benchmark DAC1 Pre directly connected to my Krell FPB-300C (this combination sound much better compared when i was using Benchmark only as DAC connected to Mcintosh C2300 (after that i sold McIntosh C2300 and i found Benchmark direclty connected to Krell sound totaly amazing). Strange, when i was using C2300 between, sound was a bit rounded, coloured and not that tight.

For surround im using Denon3808 as Pre/Pro. Front out from Denon Preouts im connecting to Benchmark Analogue Input, putting the Benchmark in Fixed volume position, and in this way im using Denon as processor and volume control for all speakers (Audissey Match level the all speakers for volume).

Im listening 80% stereo music, and in last year a lot of 24-96 flacs (HDTracks, Linn, Zig Zag Teritorries...)

Also i like to listen SACD, sometimes in surround, sometimes in Stereo. Also i like to watch and listen concerts and last on my lists are movies in surround (i prefer to get the point of the story of the movie, photography, acting then just sound effects, so this is last on my list).

My plan for the upgrades is to get Oppo BDP-95 player becouse of universal support of different formats, and becouse of SACD duties. Im planing to use analogue out from OPPO to Surround Processor and to use it that way for SACD, and via HDMI for movies.

Since there is no Oppo on stock in my country, i'll order it in few months from now, and now i have dilemma should i replace my Denon 3808 for just Pre/Pro or not.

My dilemma is Marantz AV7005 vs Onkyo SC5509. As i can see differences between those are:

1. SC5509 have better Video processing chip compared to Marantz. This is not very important to me, since for concerts/movies i can use Player directly to my TV. For just watching tv it's not that important picture quality.

2. SC5509 have DSD possability for SACD. Also not very important feature since i can bitsream in LPCM and processing to be done in the player.

3. SC5509 use Audissey XT32 which is better compared to Audisey implemented in Marantz AV7005. Since i plan to buy two Subs in near future seem that Onkyo have advantage here. But. As i can see there is a lot of new subwoofer models which have digital calibration for the bass. If i buy two those kind of Subs (for example DB1), then XT32 is not advantage anymore since Subs have own calibration? Or im wrong?

For just SACD and Concerts which Pre/Pro is superior? Maratnz or Onkyo? Which model have superior Dacs? Which is quieter for using as Pre? Or if buy OPPO-BDP95 i wont notice any difference? And finally, in this my scenario is it worth at all to replace my Denon 3808?

Greetings

Darko

p.s. I hope Kal would see my message
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by specialized
    3. SC5509 use Audissey XT32 which is better compared to Audisey implemented in Marantz AV7005. Since i plan to buy two Subs in near future seem that Onkyo have advantage here. But. As i can see there is a lot of new subwoofer models which have digital calibration for the bass. If i buy two those kind of Subs (for example DB1), then XT32 is not advantage anymore since Subs have own calibration? Or im wrong?

p.s. I hope Kal would see my message
    Not entirely wrong but there is still a major advantage to XT32 which is relevant to you. Since you have potent main speakers, you will appreciate that XT32 has much greater EQ capability in the lower end of the main channels than does XT. This gives you the ability to choose lower crossovers.
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• specialized
      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
      Not entirely wrong but there is still a major advantage to XT32 which is relevant to you. Since you have potent main speakers, you will appreciate that XT32 has much greater EQ capability in the lower end of the main channels than does XT. This gives you the ability to choose lower crossovers.
      In scenario to dont use Audissey at all. For just SACD and Concerts which Pre/Pro is superior? Or in stereo using Pure Audio setup? Maratnz or Onkyo? Which model have superior Dacs? Which is quieter for using as Pre? Or if buy OPPO-BDP95 i wont notice any difference? (since i presume that Oppo have higher quality dacs? And finally, in this my scenario is it worth at all to replace my Denon 3808? And how they compare to Classe SSP-800 (which dont have Audissey at all, but have really superior dacs and sound awesome)

Greetings

Darko

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2006

I always use Audyssey. It sounds better.
        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• specialized
          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
          I always use Audyssey. It sounds better.

Even for just stereo listening? This mean that u think Onkyo SC5509 sound better even compared to SSP-800?

And how u compare AV7005 vs SC5509 if i dont use subs at all?

Greetings

Darko

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by specialized
            Even for just stereo listening? This mean that u think Onkyo SC5509 sound better even compared to SSP-800?
            Of course. My room's acoustics are the same regardless of the number of speakers/channels.

And how u compare AV7005 vs SC5509 if i dont use subs at all?
            I did so briefly as I rarely defeat bass management unless there is a reason. Stand off.
            Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Hammie
              • Oct 2005

I upgraded from the Denon 3808 to the Onkyo Pro 5508. The XT32 totally transformed my room acoustics. Everything, especially the midrange, is crystal clear and the dynamics are phenomenal.

Although I have never used or played around with the AV7005, I have read enough comments to where the people who purchased them were disappointed in the Audyssey portion or the device.

My music and movies have never sounded better.
              Panasonic TC-P65VT30
              Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
              Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
              Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
              B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
              Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
              My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
              Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"