X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fishypete
    • Jul 2012

RSP 1068 No Sound

Hello.

A friend of mine recently gave me a defective Rsp 1068 preamplifier which was no longer working. The amplifier had stopped deliverying any audio signals and in stead it would only output static/ distortion.
    He said that this problem occured a couple of months ago and that it happened intermittently. While watching a movie, or listening to music, suddenly he would hear a "popping sound" and after that, all he could hear was this static sound from the speakers. However, if he turned the amplifier off and on again, the sound would be back to normal.

But a couple of weeks ago, it would no longer help to turn the amplifier off and on again and the static/ buzzing sound was present all the time.
    So he then bought a new pre-amp and gave me his old one, in case I could fix it.

I don't have much electrical knowledge, but I'm fairly handy with a soldering iron.
    So I was wondering if this is a known, or common problem with these amplifiers and if anyone know which components I could try to replace or test.

I should also mention, that after I have received the amplifier, I do not get any sound at all from the amplifier. I have tried with optical and the multi inputs, cd and tuner, but don't get any sound through any of them.
    Also, I do not get any picture on my tv when I try to use the OSD menu. I have only tested it with a S-Video cable though.

Sorry for my bad english.
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

The popping sound is because the digital board has failed. It is a Common problem with Rotel gear sadly. It has to be replaced.
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• fishypete
      • Jul 2012

Thanks for the quick reply.

I see.
      Does the whole board have to be replaced, or could I just replace the faulty component(s) myself? I have a hot air station, so if I knew which component(s) on the board to change, I could propably do it myself.

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

Well.....you can try but that knowledge is beyond my abilities. Maybe someone here on the forum can steer you in the right direction as a DYI deal.

Comment

• fishypete
          • Jul 2012

Ok.
          Thanks a lot for the help so far Madmac. Atleast I know the problem lies within the digital board now

Comment

• windshear
            • Dec 2004

The fact there are popping sounds could indicate a dry joint. There is no harm in giving the digital board a once over and see if you can spot any with a magnifying glass, then trying to solder them if that is the case.

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

[QUOTE=fishypete]Ok.
              Thanks a lot for the help so far Madmac. Atleast I know the problem lies within the digital board now [/QUOTE

My old Rotel popped for a time....sound cut out. I'd turn it off for awhile and it would work again. Finally, it popped and it quit for good. Rotel changed the digital section but it failed again after the first day. They ended up giving me another unit. So far so good with this one.

Good luck with your quest !!!

Comment

• madmac
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2010

I'm not sure about your particular unit but try running it in 'Analog Bypass' mode and see if it works there. That mode bypasses all digital processing. Mine worked in Bypass mode.

Comment

• fishypete
                  • Jul 2012

Ok thanks for the advice

I'll take out the digital board later and have a closer look at it. I don't know if there are any bga chips on the circuit board, but if there are, I could try reflowing them and see if that helps. I propably won't have time before the weekend though.

Madmac, seeing that your amp failed again after only one day after the board was replaced, could likelly mean something else was causing it to fail. I guess even if I managed to locate the defective component(s), there's no guarantee it won't fail on me again
                  Ah well. In any case I haven't lost any money on the unit, so I guess in any case this will be a good learning experience

I'll also try the Analog bypass mode and see if that works.

Comment

• chow11
                    • Jul 2012

Same iissue

My story is identical to yours. Were you able to get your working eventually? and what was the root cause of the problem?

Comment

• PewterTA
                      • Nov 2004

If you can't figure it out... hit me up, I'll get you in touch with the Rotel parts department and get you the hook up on replacing the board if needed... it's probably not as much as you'd think it'd be.
                      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                      -Dan

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"