X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dallasdave
    • Apr 2005

Volume clicking sound RSP 1068?

When I change volume up or down I get a slight click sound, not very loud but still noticeable. Click sound happens even if I bypass the 1068 processer with my Mazantz 8400. Amp 1095 5x200.
    Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Dallasdave; 03 May 2005, 13:15 Tuesday.
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

I asked Rotel about my RSX-1056 doing the same thing. They said this is normal. It is do to the fact the volume control is a circuit driven device and not a potentiometer (or the like) driven device. I notice it more with multi-channel sources like DVD's than I do with two-channel sources like CD's.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• ds22030
      • Sep 2004

OT: Dallasdave, how does teh sound of the 1068 compare to your Marantz doing the preamp/processor duty? Any noticeable difference?

Comment

• Dallasdave
        • Apr 2005

I'll play some 2ch and see what happens. Wonder why Rotel wouldn't correct something like this? Don't know much about the different types of volume control devices. Thanks RebelMan for the info.

Comment

• Kens1
          • Mar 2005

I also have the 1056 and never hear any clicking when adjusting the volume up or down / 2 ch or multi ch. That seems unusual to me.

Comment

• Dallasdave
            • Apr 2005

DTS mode I believe it is a little more controlled (balanced) than the 1068; the center channel is improved; but the Marantz does drop sound (1/4 second) between tracks at times which I understand is unfortually normal with the Marantz. Although this not the case with all my DTS DVD's. No drops when the 1068 is doing the job. I can report I can't hear any difference between the two in any other mode.

Comment

• Dallasdave
              • Apr 2005

I just want add the noise is only noticable once I get to around 60+. And it isn't all that distracting, but it's present.

Comment

• pbarata
                • Feb 2003

I've RSP-1066 and when I change volume up or down I get the same slight click sound. This is perfectly normal and happens either if you rotate volume knob by hand our use the remote control.

The gain is digitally incremented by the pre-amp in fixed increments, not a continuous function, and for each you get the click effect.
                Movies: Samsung LCD LE37A557, Rotel RSP-1066 & RMB-1075, Sony PS3, VdH D-102 Hybrid III interc, QED XT-350 & Supra Rondo 4x2,5 speaker cable, QED Qunex P75 coax, Monitor Audio Silver 5i/8i/10i speakers, REL Quake sub, QED Qunex SR-SW subwoofer cable, IXOS XHT458 HDMI, Supra LoRad, Isotek Mini Sub GII;
                Music: Rega Planar 3, Goldring 1042, Vincent PHO-8, Krell KAV-280cd, Krell KAV-400xi, B&W 703, Siltech SQ-28 Classic G5 (XLR), Siltech LS-68 Classic Mk2, Nordost Vishnu, QED Qonduit MDH6.

Comment

• ds22030
                  • Sep 2004

So Dallas Dave, in 2ch music listening, you did not notice much of a difference between your 8400 and your 1068? I am curious since I am considering using a 8400 for preamp duty....

Comment

• Dallasdave
                    • Apr 2005

I really haven't used the 8400 for 2 channel since I have a 400 disk Sony CD player. I use the 8400 to process DVDA, SACD, and Movies; I will do some testing and get back to you about the 2 channel from the 8400. Now I'm curious as to the Rotel vs. the Marantz.....It never occured to me to see if there would be a difference in 2 channel.

Comment

• booktrunk
                      • Aug 2004

ohh err...

I had this on my 1066 and complained like hell about it got told it's normal.

Then one day just took it back to my dealer and they went oh no... it shouldn't do that. Was away for a month being repaired.

It might be worth taking it back to them to let them hear it and see if it's acceptable for them to listen with a problem like that.

There were comments a while ago on here about a batch of 1066s all with this problem. I've not heard about it on a 1068.. Seriously might be worth takking it back to the company you got it from.

It's surprising some amps do have a very little clicking sound. I've heard a £1,000 cyrus amp with it that would drive me mad, but apparently on some amps, a certain clicking is acceptable. It's just there is "clicking sound" and CLICKING SOUND

Steff
                      "Whether sad, angry, distressed, eager, or playful, elephants are this in a big way"

"The way in which our society deals with minorities is a guide to our civilisation."

Comment

• Dallasdave
                        • Apr 2005

I just ordered another amp for zone 2 operation, once I setup the new amp I can then isolate the problem to the 1068; which I believe must be the problem here and let the dealer resolve this issue.

Thanks for the info booktrunk!

Comment

• ds22030
                          • Sep 2004

Also Dave, what speakers are you running? I believe you are running a 1095 on all channels....

Comment

• Dallasdave
                            • Apr 2005

1095 amp powers
                            B&W 703 Fronts
                            B&W HTM7 Center
                            B&W CCM80 Rears

B&W ASW750 Sub
                            Really enjoy the sound from these B&W's what a perfect match to the 1095 and 1068! I spent alot of demo time with different setups before going this way.

Have a 1050 on order to run zone 2 outside speakers, got a 50% off MSRP on speakers the last day before Ulitimate Electronics was taken over by the liquidators, now there offering a 10-15% discount, what a joke. If I go to 7.1 in the future I'll have a good amp to run the extra 2 speakers.

Since I have a 3 month old have not been able to test the 2 channel between the Marantz and Rotel. I want to spend some time before giving my opinion. This weekend should have the time to spend a few hours on this.

Comment

• agentbrad
                              • Jan 2006

I just purchased the 1068 and I notice the sound during volume changes at higher dB. The explanations above make sense to me from a technical perspective. There would not be a pop/click with potentiometer-based volume controls because the volume change would be continuous. However, the 1068 must control volume digitally, and I can understand why there might be a slight pop if the digital volume controls bring up the volume in 1 or 2 dB increments. It would seem avoidable, but not problematic.

FYI, If you hear very loud clicks on A/V equipment when changing between digital sources or between tracks, etc., it may by electrical relays (switches) that turn on/off your amps while no source is present. I have an old Denon 3600, which was one of their first models with Dolby Digital processing. While it has served me well for about 8 years, it is a pain to use in modern systems because the relays between the processor and the amps kick off and then back on every time the digital audio signal breaks for a split second (e.g., when swithing channels on my satelite, advancing tracks on DVD, or fast forwarding the DVD).

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"