X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikael
    • Aug 2007

Rotel RB 1592

This is some good news for those who missis yhe old RB 1090
    It's all go at Rotel - I speak with Executive VP of Rotel America Mike Bartlett about their upcoming audio and HT goodies...

It looks hefty
  • Mikael
    • Aug 2007

Here is one from inside.

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Very interesting!

I found especially intriguing the comment:
      "Rotel have decided to use class-D amplification for Home Theatre products only because the technology produces less than acceptable distortion below 30Hz when compared with conventional amplification."

Sounds like another example of ‘newer is better’ technology falling short of its promise. :E
      Gee, where have I heard that before? :W

Doesn’t look a whole lot different on the inside than my RB-1090.
      I would love to hear it in my system to see if or how different it really is.

Thank you for the post, Mikael!

Edit: Added pics of my amp. Please excuse the photo quality, these recent shots were taken with a cell phone.

Last edited by wkhanna; 16 February 2012, 21:48 Thursday. Reason: Added photos of my amp
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• paully
        • Mar 2012

hey wkhanna...why'd you pull your amp apart? when you strip it down it looks quite modular..

Comment

• Whacked!
          • Jun 2009

With a little bit of searching, there are some internal pics of both the 1090 and 1592 available. I was also able to find some specs on the 1592. With internal pics appearing very, very similar and with available specs also the same, can we expect anything new in this unit or is it simply a repackaging?

I know Class A/B amp technology hasn't moved as fast as some of the other tech out there, but with the original issue 1090 being over 10 years old, I would expect some change to have happened. I'm not saying it is identical, but if it looks like a duck........

Norm

Comment

• wkhanna
            • Jan 2006

Quack Quack :W
            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by paully
              hey wkhanna...why'd you pull your amp apart? when you strip it down it looks quite modular..
              A fellow member and V good friend has come up with a fairly simple upgrade mod for amps. Those photos were taken durring the mod process.

You can check it out here.
              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
                • Nov 2004

I've got some better pictures of the RB-1090 opened up. I would say it's (if not) identical to the new 1592... All it looks like is... they put it in a new case.

Which I'm not saying that's a bad thing... It's a GREAT amp.

But it looks very very very very very similar.... I'm guessing they probably are using better parts, but in the same way as the old RB-1090.

All I did on Bill's and my 1090 was solder all the crimped connectors to the wires at all points. Then any points where I didn't want to solder (screw locatins) I made sure to put Deoxit gold on all touching points. This made a very noticeable and welcomed change to the Amp's tonal qualities. Everything seemed to clean up and release a lot of extra detail in the sound and control over the speakers. Made it seem like a quicker/more powerful amp. Not saying it increased in power mind you...but it seems like it's a more clean and true signal passing through. Maybe made it seem more transparent!?!!?
                Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                -Dan

Comment

• wkhanna
                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by PewterTA
                  .... I'm guessing they probably are using better parts, but in the same way as the old RB-1090.
                  I wonder?

Otherwise, it appears to be the V same chassis, simply with a different front panel to match the 15 series.

So they resurrect a 10 year old design, slap some new make-up on the face, possibly add a few higher-grade capacitors……….

……..oh, I can’t wait to find out what the msrp is going to end up being. :W

It may actually result in boosting the price in the used market for the 1090……. :E :E :E
                  _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• paully
                    • Mar 2012

actually i saw it advertised on a Japanese website for 3600US discounted from RR of about 4000US.

about soldering lugs. there's a reason they don't solder them. the amount of heat you need to apply to solder large lugs causes the solder to wick up the copper wire. It makes the termination stiff and suffers from stress fractures. That's why no soldering is allowed on mains electrical work. it's unsafe. But in this application it should be fine. that's not a small project you took on. you must be a bit of a techo..

Actually when soldering any wire there are special tweezers that you use to hold the wire. the tweezers suck the heat out of the wire which prevents the solder from wicking up the wire. this maintains maximum flexibility at the joint. i cant remember what they are called but i can send youa pic if you wanna see one.

Comment

• wkhanna
                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by paully
                      ......about soldering lugs. there's a reason they don't solder them.........
                      In this case, it is MHO the reason is $, pure & simple. They had a pre-determined price point. The skilled labor cost for what seems such a minor detail adds up V quickly. Additionally, it puts the performance uncomfortably nearer the Classe gear. In essence they would be competing against themselves (Classe is part of the same parent company). They need to maintain a defined limit amongst all product lines.

Regarding soldering, it is a learned skill. Applying the correct amount of heat for the correct time at the appropriate location to achieve the desired result. Properly executed, V little ‘wicking’ will occur up the stranded wire away from the joint. And yes, heat sinks can be used to assist.

There is a reason some high-end audio equipment is assembled using only point-to-point wiring. It sounds better.
                      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• paully
                        • Mar 2012

Yeah bill you raise a good point about high end gear direct wiring. So by soldering the lugs you improved half of the terminal connections in the amp. I presume getting rid of the lugs al together and direct soldering would have made it very difficult to service and something you probably don't wanna do.

Comment

• bigburner
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2005

Originally posted by wkhanna
                          So they resurrect a 10 year old design, slap some new make-up on the face
                          Like putting lipstick on a pig?

No, I didn't mean that Bill! If the RB-1592 had been around when I bought my Emotiva then it may well be powering my 803Ds now.

Nigel.

Comment

• wkhanna
                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by bigburner
                            Like putting lipstick on a pig?
                            Nigel.
                            OINK OINK

:roflmao:
                            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
                              • Nov 2004

Paully you are correct, it does stiffen the wire and forms it so it does not want to move it all.. Which considering the wires in the amp are formed into position from being in there so long does not make a real issue. I did use the clamp so the heat didn't get too much down the wire and damange anything.

Basically, I've just gotten to the point of not caring if something breaks...it can be fixed! ha ha. Well maybe more to point of, they put it together so it's gotta come apart... and well looking at how things are... can I easily improve things without having to redesign what's in here. I'm good with replacing parts to a certain point...but testing with tons of meters and verifying everything...well not quite.

I am good at reading through the service manual and getting the amp back into spec though! :T

Attached Files
                              -Dan

Comment

• PewterTA
                                • Nov 2004

Here's one of the pictures of the right channel (right side of the amp if you are facing the front). Well in the picture the front of the amp is to the left and back to the right.

If you look at the one photo in the link you can see down the right side and it's almost 100% identical.

-Dan

Comment

• PewterTA
                                  • Nov 2004

Here's with the large Capacitors removed and you see the torodial transformers like in the one internal picture.

Either rotate this picture 90 degrees clockwise or the picture on the website 90 degrees counter clockwise and you're looking at almost the identical picture. lol

This is the left channel.

-Dan

Comment

• Mikael
                                    • Aug 2007

I just found a picture of the RB 1592 in black, it's good looking

Comment

• TimbaLand
                                      • Aug 2013

Was the RB1592 officially released or it stayed a concept? I can find anything about it on the Rotel website

Comment

• rdram
                                        • Mar 2005

Timbaland...interesting question. Since this thread started in February 2012, I waited and waited for the 1592 to be released in North America. My 1090 was vintage 2000-2001, and I wanted to update to a new model. Got tired of waiting on Rotel, so a couple months back I bought another brand and sold the 1090. Maybe Patrick Butler from B&W Group can shed some light as to why the 1592 was never released here.

Comment

• TimbaLand
                                          • Aug 2013

Maybe it's a lie

Comment

• windshear
                                            • Dec 2004

Im pretty sure I came across the amplifier in Hong Kong at the Rotel/B&W Classe dealer. When im next there I will pop in and take some photo's if it exists.

Comment

• TimbaLand
                                              • Aug 2013

I sent an email to Rotel to find out about the 1592 and they gave me a story which doesn't make sense. They said the following:

Rotel is looking at a replacement amp for the RB-1090 and a few prototypes have made however I am not certain what the model number will be or if they are going to pursue the manufacturing of the new amp for public release.
                                              It is still in the testing phase and Rotel wants to be sure it has very good sound quality and is reliable.

I believe it will be shown at the Cedia Expo this summer or fall and by then they should know for sure if it will be released to the public.

What I don't understand is the 1592 exists in this website: http://www.rotel.cn/Downloads/Manuals/RB1592.pdf

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                • Nov 2004

Maybe they found this thread and realized that we let the cat out of the bag saying it's just a rebadged 1090.....
                                                -Dan

Comment

• TimbaLand
                                                  • Aug 2013

^^^^ I was so convinced about the rebadging but I am sure the RMB1585 which is supposed to be rebadged 1095 sounds better unless if it's my brain trying to justify the expense when I moved from 1095 to 1585
                                                  Last edited by TimbaLand; 12 July 2014, 02:44 Saturday.

Comment

Working...
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"