X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toofar
    • Sep 2011

Very Strange Sound - RSX-1550

So this has happened twice in the past 6 months, very weird. I'll be playing a video game, MW2 & MW3, and out of nowhere I get a noise that kind of sounds like when you're plugging a guitar into an amp. It's hard to explain, hopefully there are some musicians amongst us. So I have to turn the unit off for about 30 seconds and then the noise goes away. Any ideas? Has this happened to anybody? I'm tossing the idea around of just taking it in since it's under warranty, but that means I'm SOL for who knows how long, since I have no back up receiver. I just sold it. Figures.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Sounds like the digital signal is losing lock and not decoding right. Using HDMI? Have they latest updates on it?

Kevin D.

Comment

• toofar
      • Sep 2011

Yes on the HDMI and not a single update. I've been meaning to do that. I'll update this weekend and see if that fixes it. Thank you for the reply.

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

That sounds like the beginning of the famous Rotel "POP" !!. My Rotel receiver did that for awhile and then quit altogether. It would only work with no digital processing in "analog bypass" mode. It's a digital stage issue on Rotel receivers. It's sad to see that they have not addressed it on their newer Receivers. Depending on how much warranty you have left, you might want to bring it in for repair. This issue is not going to go away and will likely only get worse. Besides, the pop noise is bad and depending on your volume level, can actually damage your speakers!!. Another sad piece of news is that even if you send it in for repair, they will likely not cure the issue. The reason for that is that you have to operate the receiver under 'load' and actually power speakers with it to experience the phenomenon. Rotel will not do that at the shop. They will make 'assumptions' as to what the issue is, change some parts, do some diagnostics and firmware updates and ship it back to you. If you have lots of time left on the warranty, keep using it until it craps out altogether. Reason for this is that you will lose your Rotel for a solid month when you send it in. Check out some other Rotel repair issues on this Rotel forum and you'll better understand what I'm talking about here. One BIG piece of advice I can give you is that, make sure your Rotel in plugged into a well GROUNDED socket with correct polarity, and make sure that connection is using a good Spike bar power bar/conditioner in between them.
        Dan Madden :T

Comment

• toofar
          • Sep 2011

WOW! That sucks if that's the issue. The noise is a continuous sound, not so much a pop. The sound is very similar to the noise that is made when say you're plugging in the cable to a subwoofer. Kind of like a VVVVVVVV sound. I will check this forum. I searched the Rotel Update software and there are a couple of "lock" issues that they have addressed in updates. So I'll do those and cross my fingers. I'm using a Furman PST8. It's definitely saved me more than once from voltage issues. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

• toofar
            • Sep 2011

And now it has just had it's first video loss. The screen lost the picture for about 2 seconds. This unit was flawless for years. I have never dealt with Rotel regarding a warranty issue. If they can't reproduce the problem are they going to tell me tough s*** or will they repair it based off my claims?

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

They will 'attempt' to repair it. It may work or it may not. When mine came back it worked........for about 6 hours or so......then.....POP goes the weasel!! :-)

They eventually gave me a refurbished, newer model that has worked flawlessly ever since. Thumbs crossed!.
              Dan Madden :T

Comment

• toofar
                • Sep 2011

Okay, so I updated the firmware about 2 weeks ago and the strange buzz noise has not occurred again, so far, BUT now I get an insane amount of distortion when there's an explosion when playing MW3. I seriously doubt it's my speakers, is it possible that the firmware update is the cause of this? And if so, can somebody explain why this happens?

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

Did you update all three firmwares if needed? They work together. The latest main without the latest audio can cause problems.

Kevin D.

Comment

• toofar
                    • Sep 2011

Thanks for the reply. I do have all current firmware updates. The bad news, the sound has returned, BUT my girlfriend heard the same sound coming from her PS3, so I believe it's a PS3 issue. Maybe the distortion is also a PS3 issue?

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"