X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lastexit
    • Feb 2011

How would you describe the Rotel sound?

How would you describe the "house sound" of Rotel components?
  • Industrial
    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by lastexit
    How would you describe the "house sound" of Rotel components?
    Clean? Not full, not that airy, Mids could be a little less jumbled. I fixed that with a new DAC. Still damnnnn good compared to any of the mainstream components available. I like it much more then Denon, Yamaha Panasonic etc. Im running a Rotel prepro and amp combo.

Comment

• stuofsci02
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2009

Are you referring to Amps (Class A/B or Class D) or Preamps, or prepros?
      Main System:
      B&W 801D
      Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
      Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
      Oppo BDP-105
      Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
      B&W CM7
      Emotiva UMC-1
      Emotiva UPA-2
      Oppo BDP-83SE
      Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• lastexit
        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by stuofsci02
        Are you referring to Amps (Class A/B or Class D) or Preamps, or prepros?
        Mostly the amplification, especially the class a/b power amps and preamps. I guess we can even throw the integrated amps in there too!

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

Very forward sounding......dynamic, clean, detailed....excellent vocal presentation with piles of reserve power when you need it. Non of the 'mainstream' amps mentioned above touch it sound and performance wise.
          Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Industrial
            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by madmac
            Very forward sounding......dynamic, clean, detailed....excellent vocal presentation with piles of reserve power when you need it. Non of the 'mainstream' amps mentioned above touch it sound and performance wise.
            ^^ and I'm only comparing to equipment thats costing thousands more. Wicked for the price.

Comment

• june
              • Feb 2005

hello,

i own a rsp 985, 1066 & 1068. both at great no issuse since purchase years ago. the sound warm and very detailed. love all of them. i went for a yamaha reciever to rotel. i also watch everthing with surround sound. love the details not the boom-boom!!
              June
              "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• Lotus 78
                • May 2005

Just comparing to other equipment I own: The RCD 1072 compared to the Music Hall 25.2. The 1072 is very laid back even a bit sterile but detailed. The sound stage presentation seems about a foot behind the speakers. The Musical hall on the other hand is lively, up front with the sound stage out in front of the speakers. Not saying one is better than then other just different. The music hall is in my main system, the 1072 stays in the bedroom. To put the 1072 and the 25.2 in perspective, compared to my oppo DVD player (forget the model but it was one of the last standard dvd) the Music hall and the Rotel are far superior to the CD section of the oppo which seems thin and lifeless.
                On the amp side I own a Adcom 5500, and an RA 1062 and a RMB 1075. To compare the three is unfair but currently the Adcom is in my main system, the 1070 in the bedroom and the 1075 is unused. The 1075 is pretty much invisible (the way it should be) but just does not have the dynamic power that the Adcom has (which it should not have). In the end I like (the distortion) of the MOSFET Adcom over the 1075.
                The 1062 compared to the 1075 has more of the “Rotel house sound” much like the RCD 1072.
                With all that said. I think the Rotel sound is on the conservative side of neutral (not romantic like the Adcom or music hall), detailed without the harshness and very quite.
                Last edited by Lotus 78; 22 September 2011, 08:21 Thursday.

Comment

• gfcf42489
                  • Oct 2011

Clean, clear, slightly forward.

One of the criticisms I frequently see in various internet forums is that Rotel gear is generally thin or lean-sounding, especially in the bass.
                  Last edited by gfcf42489; 01 November 2011, 22:59 Tuesday.

Comment

• madmac
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2010

Thin or lean sounding??. Are you kidding??. Lack of bass??. Humm..:..ok then......!!!

Comment

• gfcf42489
                      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by madmac
                      Thin or lean sounding??. Are you kidding??. Lack of bass??. Humm..:..ok then......!!!
                      I forgot to mention "dry and sterile" as well!

Comment

• madmac
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2010

Ok dude.....not sure what your setup is or what your speakers and other components are but....something's not right there!!??. Curious....what are you using now for amplification??.

Comment

• sandsthetime
                          • Mar 2014

Long time lurker here...

Their amplification seems to be pretty neutral and accurate which is a good thing IMO. My only experience with their source components has been the RCD-1072. The player has good detail retrieval but lacks proper extension on top and bottom which makes the musical performance a bit distant and dry. The information which is there, however, is generally very sweet sounding. This insight only refers to the 1072 since I have not yet heard their newer players and DACs.
                          Last edited by sandsthetime; 05 March 2014, 12:11 Wednesday.

Comment

• wkhanna
                            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

Hello, sandsthetime, & welcome to the forum!

I would be V interested in hearing more about your impressions of the Neko Audio D100.
                            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• sandsthetime
                              • Mar 2014

Originally posted by wkhanna
                              I would be V interested in hearing more about your impressions of the Neko Audio D100.
                              Many of the reviewers have described its character as in being very similar to vinyl records; I don't have much experience with analog so I cannot comment on that. However it's easily the best digital playback I've heard in my system. Rather than mention subjective terms like warm or bright I'd say it's more along the lines of being effortless. It doesn't break a sweat in evenly dispersing all the instruments in the mix; it presents a very vivid and realistic portrait of the musical event. The RCD-1072 is still a good budget player but during my comparisons it never failed to remind me that I was listening to a recorded disc medium.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"