X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kkelley
    • Sep 2004

Need 2 additional channels to complement RMB 1075

I just purchased an Integra 40.2 pre/pro to go with my Rotel RMB-1075 (120 WPC).

I want to take advantage of the front high speakers and therefore need two more channels of power.

Which (used) two channel Rotel amp would be best in this situation? RB-980BX? Something else?

Also, if I did this would it be best to use the amp for the front high or maybe use this as an opportunity to provide something more powerful to my front mains (def tech Mythos STs)?

Not sure if all channels need to be as close to same power or not...

Thx!
  • Dmantis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2004

All channels should be exactly the same in an ideal setup. With running Mythos ST's you should be using a Mythos 10 center and 10 rears surround backs and width height channels. This is the very best way to experience Mythos synergy with the ST's.
    With using the RMB1075 amp I strongly suggest getting a RB1070 as it's a perfect match to the RMB1075. Use this for the front Mythos ST and then use the RMB1075 5 channels for center surrounds and Front Height speakers.
    Again you didn't post the rest of your system but I strongly suggest Mythos 10's for all another channels.

Comment

• hurin
      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Dmantis
      All channels should be exactly the same in an ideal setup.
      Maybe. But in a normal setup the fronts will be larger than the rears and require more amplification.

If you need something stronger than the 1075 try an 1080.

Comment

• kkelley
        • Sep 2004

Thanks for the responses... I do have a Mythos 10 Center but the house I moved into already had Klipsch inwalls for the surround and what I will be using for front high. I realize this is not ideal but is what I have to work with at the moment. Audyssey does seem to do a decent job of correcting though.

Regarding the amp, If I went with trying to match the power wouldn't the 980 still be better as it is 120 WPC vs the 1070 at 130 WPC? Then the other option (another school of thought i guess) I see would be to maybe Give the STs even more power to try and help open them up more?

Thx!

Comment

• hurin
          • Sep 2009

Think of amplification as a river. If there is enough water it would make no difference to an animal (speaker) how big the river is. But if there wasn't enough water the animal would go thirsty.

Comment

• mjb
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Dmantis
            All channels should be exactly the same in an ideal setup.
            Correction: All channels should be exactly the same SPL (sound pressure level) at the listening position in an ideal setup.
            - Mike

Main System:
            B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
            Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• mjb
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by kkelley
              Regarding the amp, If I went with trying to match the power wouldn't the 980 still be better as it is 120 WPC vs the 1070 at 130 WPC? Then the other option (another school of thought i guess) I see would be to maybe Give the STs even more power to try and help open them up more?

Thx!
              A stereo amp will always perform better than a multichannel one due to power supply design (a mono amp is a step up again, for the same reason).

You will not hear 10 watts of difference in "quoted" output power. I would say your choice is between a 1070, which might not sound drastically better than two channels of your 1075, or better a 1080 - which with its 200 watt output should give you much more presence, a confident low end, and a larger soundstage.

What could be easier to review than a power amplifier? No features or functions aside from inputs, outputs, and a power switch. So when Jonathan Scull asked if I could help out by taking on the Rotel RB 1080, which another reviewer hadn't been able to get to, I accepted the assignment. Before I could click my heels and say "FedEx!" twice, Rotel's 200Wpc RB 1080 had appeared.
              - Mike

Main System:
              B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
              Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• kkelley
                • Sep 2004

Guys, thanks again for all the good input! I think I am going to go ahead and get something like the 980 for "now" as a temp solution as the budget is only about $250.

I am very interested in moving up to the 1080 though and will be looking for one around Xmas. I'll then demote the lesser amp to a 2nd zone or something.

I do believe that the greater power of the 1080 would be helpful as I have always felt like my STs aren't as open as they otta be.

Comment

• bigburner
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2005

Originally posted by hurin
                  If you need something stronger than the 1075 try an 1080.
                  Agreed.

Nigel.

Comment

• kkelley
                    • Sep 2004

Well, I stumbled upon a used 1080 for what looked to be a good price so I pushed the budget and made the purchase! Should have it early next week.

Can't wait to get it in my system and anxiously awaiting to see if the improvement is as noticable as I hope it will be.

Comment

• kkelley
                      • Sep 2004

Holy Cow!!!! I had expected/hoped for a marked improvement but what I got was much more than expected. I just added in my new 1080 and I immedately was able to tell a difference. Haven't really tweaked anything but did re-level the speakers.

I went to some 2 channel music I know well and was blown away by how more.. well I don't know how to say it but buttery and less harsh things now sound. All of the above statements about what to expect are true as well. The sound stage is more open and it seams the little details are poping a bit more.

Looks like I get to get to know my music all over again! Haven't even put on a movie yet. The added front height speakers properly powered should create a much larger front stage...

Thanks again to all for your input. Glad I stepped up my selection of amp!!

Comment

• eelco74
                        • Dec 2002

Well done, I have the RB985MKII (=rb-1075) in combination with the RB-991 (=rb-1080). It is a very balanced and powerful combination.

I tried the 1075 once, but found it a bit harsh compared to the 985MKII. So I kept it.
                        Also the 1080 and the 991 sound exactly the same. And are definitively a upgrade for the 1085/985, especially with bigger power-hungry speakers.

The only amp I would like to trade with is the RB-1572.
                        Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
                        Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
                        Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"