Why is RSP-1570 more expensive than the RSX-1550?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kuon
    • May 2011

Why is RSP-1570 more expensive than the RSX-1550?

Hello,

I'm in the process of buying a receiver for HT and music, and after listening to a lot of different amp/preamp/speakers, I came with the rotel + bw cm9 combo.

Now, as for the rotel part of thing, I did not listen to any receiver directly, in my local shop, they only have RB-1552 + RCD-1520 + RC-1580. I'm in need of a receiver as all my sources (except my oppo BD-95 that I should get soon) are HDMI.

I'm not really interested in the RSX-1560 as I listened to the RB-1572 and RB-1582 and I really prefer the 1582, so I guess I'll stay class A/B for amp.

This leads me to either RSX-1550 or RSP-1570 + RB-1552 (and more amp later, I start stereo).

My question is, why is the RSP-1570 more expensive than the RSX-1550? I mean I looked at all the datasheet and the processor part of both seems to be the same, but the 1550 has the amp built in, so it should cost more.

So, is it worthwile to invest into the separate combo? I mean, I don't have the budget to buy a whole system now, so I thought I'd go 1550 for now, then add some amps later on the 1550, which would lead me to the same quality than the 1570 + amp. Now, if the preprocessor side of the 1570 is much better than the 1550, I could wait a little more and buy the 1570 + RB-1552 combo.

I hope I'm not too confusing.

Btw, great forum, a lot of useful help.

Nicolas
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Separates will always be better sound wise than a receiver. I have a rotel receiver and love it. It is very musical to say the least!. However, rotel separates will cost more probably because the amps and componentry are likely better in them. You are making a very good choice choosing Rotel however!!. You won't be disappointed at all!!.

It's really up to you in regards to what you can afford. As we all know in this forum, there are NO limits to what you can spend in high end audio!!!.
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• kuon
      • May 2011

Thanks madmac. I wasn't sure there was an actual technical reason or if it was more a "political/manufacturing" reason.

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Unfortunately it is because of economies of scale and competition.

The processing and components of all three units are the same. You will inherently get a better sound by removing the amplifier and tuner out of the chassis and off the power supply. In the past, people have found the receivers to be 90-95% of the pre-amp, when used with the same external amps.

It costs more for Rotel to make the receivers, but in most countries receivers are more popular and Rotel prices it accordingly. In areas where pre-amps are more popular and plentiful, the 1570 is actually cheaper then the 1550.

So, to be short. You will be extremely happy with the 1550, and as you add bigger/better amplifiers you will approach pretty much the same sound you would have had with the 1570.

Kevin D.

Comment

• kuon
          • May 2011

Ok, this is what I thought.

In my country (switzerland) the 1570 is 10% more expensive than the 1550, so the 1570 solution would add 10% + the amps prices.

I'm also considering the 1570 because of the heat the 1550 generates. I didn't touch/see a 1550 for myself, but I guess 5 class AB amp will get toasty in the unit, and I don't want either to add a fan, or to have the unit turn itself off because of heat (I read on the forum that it sometimes does, not sure if it's true or still the case with firmwares updates) and my AV cabinet is made of natural wood and I don't want it to change color because of the heat (minor issue but still). Having the amps away from the receiver pleases me more for that too.

Thanks

Comment

• srb
            • Oct 2004

If you're not using any of the amplifiers in the RSX-1550 it will consume 100W at idle versus the 60W power consumption of the RSP-1570. Obviously if you use any of the RSX-1550 amplifier channels for center or surrounds, it will consume more and run even hotter.

Also the ~ 3/4" shorter height of the cooler running RSP-1570 might also give a tiny bit more needed ventilation space above it depending on placement and shelf height.

Steve

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"